"Must Keep" Players

I know we all have our favourite players for myriad reasons, but given we have very few players under long term contracts, this season will be PW's chance to build almost a whole new squad. Will he though?  I think he should, with only 3 exceptions in my opinion. " But you can't let go of - insert player favourite name here " - I can hear many cry, but I think we've stuck with too many players for too long, and our emergency replacements last season, bar two haven't warranted holding on to them.

My three key players are Wildsmith, Cashin and McGoldrick. The spine of our team. Obviously to have a proper spine you need an influential midfielder, but I don't think we have that player yet.

Without boring the t*ts off you as to why, individually they are all game changers. We need influential players in most positions in this league to get out of it this coming season. Not passengers.

Our best younger players like Knight, Sibley and Bird, whilst showing immense promise, in racing parlance " haven't trained on " - ergo haven't fulfilled their potential. We could argue why, or if they were utilised well, but I can't see any of them spearheading a dynamic League 1 promotion next season. Time to cash in for me, whilst they still have some value.

Barkhuisen, Mendez-Laing, Collins flatter to deceive on occaisions, but not consistent enough.

Fozzy - a reluctant no from me for the same reasons. Possibly a squad player.

Hourihane - Too expensive and inconsistent at our level. £12K a week would buy better.

Bielik - Doesn't want to be here. A fiver and a bag of chips to take him off our payroll.

We can afford the best players in each position in League 1. No time for fans favourites and romanticism.

Spend our turnover, which is more than double than most of our League 1 competitors, wisely.

Whilst I'm not arrogant enough to suppose we'll romp this league, use the Ipswich model last season, who spent £2.5m of the total £4.5m spent in League 1, using that slight, but significant advantage to get them out of this division.

You know it makes sense....

Feel free to differ on my "must keeps" but our fanciful previous £10m+ valuations of some of our younger players have, with hindsight, proved to be just that - fanciful. If we can get a £1m+ for any of them, snap anyone's hands off and spend it wisely at our level.

Edited by Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster

3 minutes ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

I know we all have our favourite players for myriad reasons, but given we have very few players under long term contracts, this season will be PW's chance to build almost a whole new squad. Will he though?  I think he should, with only 3 exceptions in my opinion. " But you can't let go of - insert player favourite name here " - I can hear many cry, but I think we've stuck with too many players for too long, and our emergency replacements last season, bar two haven't warranted holding on to them.

My three key players are Wildsmith, Cashin and McGoldrick. The spine of our team. Obviously to have a proper spine you need an influential midfielder, but I don't think we have that player yet.

Without boring the t*ts off you as to why, individually they are all game changers. We need influential players in most positions in this league to get out of it this coming season. Not passengers.

Our best younger players like Knight, Sibley and Bird, whilst showing immense promise, in racing parlance " haven't trained on " - ergo haven't fulfilled their potential. We could argue why, or if they were utilised well, but I can't see any of them spearheading a dynamic League 1 promotion next season. Time to cash in for me, whilst they still have some value.

Barkhuisen, Mendez-Laing, Collins flatter to deceive on occaisions, but not consistent enough.

Hourihane - Too expensive and inconsistent at our level. £12K a week would buy better.

Bielik - Doesn't want to be here. A fiver and a bag of chips to take him off our payroll.

We can afford the best players in each position in League 1. No time for fans favourites and romanticism.

Spend our turnover, which is more than double than most of our League 1 competitors, wisely.

Whilst I'm not arrogant enough to suppose we'll romp this league, use the Ipswich model last season, who spent £2.5m of the total £4.5m spent in League 1, using that slight, but significant advantage to get them out of this division.

Feel free to differ on my "must haves" but our fanciful previous £10m+ valuations of some of our younger players have, with hindsight, proved to be just that - fanciful. If we can get a £1m+ for any of them, snap anyone's hands off and spend it wisely at our level.

I agree with the 3 you have picked…

10 minutes ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

We all know there's a player in there with Bird, but is it the way he's utilised, formation, or has he just not carved out a postion for himself? He possibly would flourish in a team with a more consistent, definined role for him?

He had an OK season. No more, no less. However, he is intelligent and will adapt in this second season. He is also in a position that players tend to peak later in. 

He has the highest ceiling of our young players IMO

Finally I would suggest looking at our points per game, with and without him last season. 

39 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Cashin and Wildsmith.

Everyone else can be replaced as far as I'm concerned.

Those two for me too.

Think Smith could be a good player for us if played in midfield so would be disappointed if he moves on. Probably the closest thing we have to a leader on the pitch as well although suspect Warne will bring a few like that in anyway.

8 hours ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

Feel free to differ on my "must keeps" but our fanciful previous £10m+ valuations of some of our younger players have, with hindsight, proved to be just that - fanciful. If we can get a £1m+ for any of them, snap anyone's hands off and spend it wisely at our level.

It’s difficult to argue with any of your comments other than:

1) I have this nagging feeling that McGoldrick won’t be able to deliver the same as he did last season in terms of game time, goals or assists. I don’t have anything to support those fears, just a feeling I have.

2) On the basis that every player makes the occasional mistake and has a bad game now and then (even the mighty Cashin), I’m not sure I’d describe Fozzy as particularly inconsistent. Maybe keep for one more season as back up.

3) Similar to McGoldrick, in the sense that I can’t back up my feelings, I also think Hourihane will have a good season. He needs one to justify his wages.

For me, we only have one in Eiran Cashin who is already a proven top performer at this level and at a good age. The rest could be easily replaced. McGoldrick is going to be difficult to replace, but apart from that you can sign players in free agency to replace anyone in our squad.

Wildsmith is a top keeper at this level and would be pretty close at Championship level. Cashin is Mr Derby. Bird still divides opinion, but I'd fight to keep him. The same can be said for Knight and Sibbo.

It's hard to evaluate this way in fairness, as without knowing what fee they might attract, or what salary they'd demand to stay, there wouldn't be many I'd be pushing towards the door. 

16 hours ago, Ambitious said:

For me, we only have one in Eiran Cashin who is already a proven top performer at this level and at a good age. The rest could be easily replaced. McGoldrick is going to be difficult to replace, but apart from that you can sign players in free agency to replace anyone in our squad.

Hold on I’m confused. Is McGoldrick “easily replaced” (as he’s not Cashin) or “difficult to replace?” 😀

Must Keep?

That's easy.....

Davies - experience at the heart of defence. Oh wait.

Ok then, McGoldrick, 20 goal striker who adds poise and subtlety to the attack. Oh wait.

Ah, Hourihane, experience and know-how in the midfield engine room. Oh wait.

Now then, how about Roberts, not the finished article but lots of promise and versatility. Oh wait.

Errrr, alright, the usual suspects then: Cashin, Bird, Knight, Sibley and Wildsmith 👀