"Must Keep" Players

21 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Must Keep?

That's easy.....

Davies - experience at the heart of defence. Oh wait.

Ok then, McGoldrick, 20 goal striker who adds poise and subtlety to the attack. Oh wait.

Ah, Hourihane, experience and know-how in the midfield engine room. Oh wait.

Now then, how about Roberts, not the finished article but lots of promise and versatility. Oh wait.

Errrr, alright, the usual suspects then: Cashin, Bird, Knight, Sibley and Wildsmith 👀

Davies and McGoldrick will have a combined age of 75 by the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Hold on I’m confused. Is McGoldrick “easily replaced” (as he’s not Cashin) or “difficult to replace?” 😀

McGoldrick has gone, but he and Cashin were the only two players from last season I would class as difficult to replace as they’re the only two who were at the very top of performers in this division. 

Circumstances. Nobody seems to have taken that into account. We still have business plan with some limits we have to stick to. We may pay "moderate" transfer/loan fees. What we fans don't know is what moderate, in this case, actually means.

I fully expect there will be a wage cap in there as well but will that be per person or the total wage bill.

Is there a total spend clause in there? Last season it was £8M.

Many clubs have, in the past, shown there are no must keep players. If the offer is right, selling your star man isn't necessarily a bad thing. Use the money wisely to bring in 3 or 4 good players resulting in a better team often works out well.

Ergo, there are no must keep players in any squad.

Of what we now have, I'd go for Wildsmith, Cashin, Smith, Bird, Knight, Sibs as  prefer to keep. Foz has been given a new contract so that's a no brainer.

Barks and NML prefer to be wingers, not wing backs. I'd let Barks go, retain NML as a 10.

Rooney can become a good player and it seems PW thinks so too so he'll stay.

The rest don't excite me. Hourihane looks in decline and the rest are 2 a penny.

On 14/06/2023 at 17:54, MickD said:

sell Sibley and Knight ...........headless chickens 

Keep Cashin, Widsmith, Smith, Rooney, Bird, Hourihan.

Collins has goals in him needs support.

179 club career goals in 540 appearances. 1 in 3 so 15 a season should be well within his capabilities. IMO, he'd have got more for us last season if he'd spent more time in the box and less time out wide. Going wide is fine if the intention is to take 2 defenders with you thereby leaving room inside for teammates to exploit. That doesn't seem to be why he goes wide. I'm not saying he should never go out wide but that he should do it less.

2 goals in 13 games for the Irish senior side as well...

Is he another of those players who get things right when it's instinctive rather then having time to think. His header at Burton was amazing, a worldy. At other times his first touch is poor and he rarely jumps for high balls. A first touch can be worked on and jumping for the ball, even if you know you aren't going to get it, puts the defender under pressure and will force mistakes... it aint rocket science. 

3 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

179 club career goals in 540 appearances. 1 in 3 so 15 a season should be well within his capabilities. IMO, he'd have got more for us last season if he'd spent more time in the box and less time out wide. Going wide is fine if the intention is to take 2 defenders with you thereby leaving room inside for teammates to exploit. That doesn't seem to be why he goes wide. I'm not saying he should never go out wide but that he should do it less.

Is he another of those players who get things right when it's instinctive rather then having time to think. His header at Burton was amazing, a worldy. At other times his first touch is poor and he rarely jumps for high balls. A first touch can be worked on and jumping for the ball, even if you know you aren't going to get it, puts the defender under pressure and will force mistakes... it aint rocket science. 

He's one of those players you don't want to touch the ball unless it's within the opposition penalty area 😂

A very limited footballer but I reckon he'll still chip in with 10+ goals next season. I do hope he's not first choice though.

40 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

If you ain't got a first touch at his age, you're a bit past working on it.

He should be a rotation/desperation option and nothing more.

I'm not sure we have any absolute "must keeps" - but certainly a few in the category of "hmmm, if you're selling him, one hopes you've got someone better coming in or compelling reasons to sell"!