Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

2 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Are any of these lads close to the matchday 18 do we think? In terms of ability that is. Or do they need a spell on loan first? 

We started with 4 first team players so I'd hope they're close 😅 Sibley and Thompson involved with the first half goals. Ward and Fornah the other two involved.

DRobinson and DBrown are the closest from our U21s but would benefit from loans for slightly different reasons. Robbo needs first team minutes now so he can kick on and progress, whilst Brown needs a loan to get over the mental gap between U21 and first team football. I see him as being in a similar situation as Whittaker when he was put in the first team too early - he looked a bit lost and wasn't playing anywhere near to what he was capable of and showed in U21/23 games. On ability, I would put them at L1 and L2 level respectively.
Weston and Bartley a little further behind, perhaps NL level. Bartley's physicality means he'd be able handle himself at that level too.

56 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We started with 4 first team players so I'd hope they're close 😅 Sibley and Thompson involved with the first half goals. Ward and Fornah the other two involved.

DRobinson and DBrown are the closest from our U21s but would benefit from loans for slightly different reasons. Robbo needs first team minutes now so he can kick on and progress, whilst Brown needs a loan to get over the mental gap between U21 and first team football. I see him as being in a similar situation as Whittaker when he was put in the first team too early - he looked a bit lost and wasn't playing anywhere near to what he was capable of and showed in U21/23 games. On ability, I would put them at L1 and L2 level respectively.
Weston and Bartley a little further behind, perhaps NL level. Bartley's physicality means he'd be able handle himself at that level too.

Cheers. Love your academy contributions - they are much appreciated by others too I'm sure.

4 hours ago, Rampant said:

Are any of these lads close to the matchday 18 do we think? In terms of ability that is. Or do they need a spell on loan first? 

A change of manager probably needed before the younguns get a run out.

Hard to argue if we go up automatically, but would be nice to see Robinson, Brown and Weston get a chance.

10 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

Confidence? 

More likely over confidence in Derby’s team and a total demolition of any confidence in the NC team.

Total imbalance of skills. Anyone going up to the first team may be under the delusion they will have similar time and space and be rudely awakened by a Stevenage boot up the Khyber Pass.