Pre-Season Friendlies 2023/24

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

You realise that the defences in League One tend to be better at marking than the defences in the Northern Premier League Premier Division & National League?

tbf I'm sure he will get a decent amount from Ward's balls throughout the season, but gloating about him scoring against teams 2-4 levels below is a bit weird.

It’s not gloating about that at all. It’s pointing out to the vitriol squad that he’s a ram and he scored a goal while they prefer to sit there and snipe from the sidelines engaging in the worst of playground bullying. 
Gloating ! Absolutely not. Supporting a team member yes ! 

3 minutes ago, Topram said:

Give Collins chances like that and he’ll score 20 this season Easy, that’s he type of striker he is

Forget the opposition, look at the goals, get crosses in the box and Collins will score. We don’t want him running the channels or dropping deep, we want him playing the width of the 6 yard box and fed by decent service. It’s really not rocket science. 

10 minutes ago, jono said:

It’s not gloating about that at all. It’s pointing out to the vitriol squad that he’s a ram and he scored a goal while they prefer to sit there and snipe from the sidelines engaging in the worst of playground bullying. 

Replace gloating for whatever term you prefer to use, picking at other users (even if they have been a bit 'awful') over goals against Matlock and Chesterfield is just a bit premature. It won't lead to anything other than further hostility, and it will give those whingeing extra ammo if he doesn't carry the form into the season.

He who has the last laugh and all that. Better to rise above those dishing out the abuse IMO.

Edited by Kokosnuss

8 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Forget the opposition, look at the goals, get crosses in the box and Collins will score. We don’t want him running the channels or dropping deep, we want him playing the width of the 6 yard box and fed by decent service. It’s really not rocket science. 

Agree, it'll feel strange to have one of those again though: McGoldrick, Martin, Howard (IIRC), Biainio, Wanchope our latest successful forwards all known to drop deeper to get the ball. In fact 'fox in the box' brings one name to mind (shudders), we are about due one  though.

3 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Replace gloating for whatever term you prefer to use, picking at other users (even if they have been a bit 'awful') over goals against Matlock and Chesterfield is just a bit premature. It won't lead to anything other than further hostility, and it will give those whingeing extra ammo if he doesn't carry the form into the season.

He who has the last laugh and all that.

The thing is we all have a view and those views are open to challenge. I chose to challenge the mindset of certain posters who as members of a “fans” forum don’t sound much like fans to me.  All our players have strengths and weaknesses but this Collins focus is uncalled for at best and pretty revolting all too often. They are poised with a finger on the trigger. 
I couldn’t give a twopenny damn if it engenders hostility. I know where I stand as a fan. I can comfortably say player X had a bad game or should have done better with that shot or tackle .. but what has been directed at Collins from some quarters isn’t analytical comment. Its just plain nasty.

And as for me … It’s not about being proved right or having the last laugh. It’s about being fair minded and doing the right thing. 

37 minutes ago, DerbyAleMan said:

Another good work out, Ward with another great cross, Collins scoring again, a striker feeds off confidence so scoring again will do him good, Wildsmith with a good save, Bird looking good, just building nicely now for the 5th of August. Looking forward to saturday, to show my appreciation to Craig Forsyth, great player, great professional, and a loyal servant to the Rams. 

1 minute ago, jono said:

The thing is we all have a view and those views are open to challenge. I chose to challenge the mindset of certain posters who as members of a “fans” forum don’t sound much like fans to me.  All our players have strengths and weaknesses but this Collins focus is uncalled for at best and pretty revolting all too often. They are poised with a finger on the trigger. 
I couldn’t give a twopenny damn if it engenders hostility. I know where I stand as a fan. I can comfortably say player X had a bad game or should have done better with that shot or tackle .. but what has been directed at Collins from some quarters isn’t analytical comment. Its just plain nasty.

And as for me … It’s not about being proved right or having the last laugh. It’s about being fair minded and doing the right thing. 

Fair enough, I just think it turns a positive into a negative 

5 minutes ago, jono said:

... I know where I stand as a fan. I can comfortably say player X had a bad game or should have done better with that shot or tackle .. but what has been directed at Collins from some quarters isn’t analytical comment. Its just plain nasty.

But your opinions and comments on others who have different views to you say otherwise. My comments about Collins are not 'just plain nasty'. You are commenting on me not my opinion of Collins - what does that say about you?

How about you allow others to have differing opinions.

Edited by RoyMac5

42 minutes ago, jono said:

Luckily they weren't sitting on the sidelines tonight, they were posting on here from the comfort of their armchairs. 😉

11 minutes ago, maxjam said:

For those that didn't splash out on RamsTV.

Big season for Bird this year, he really should be stamping his authority on games and dictating play a bit more than he did last season.  Nice to see him come back in good shape and looking good in the early pre-season games 🙂

If he’s not shackled with anchoring the midfield and is given licence then it could be huge. 

1 hour ago, Topram said:

Give Collins chances like that and he’ll score 20 this season Easy, that’s he type of striker he is

To be fair, give me chances like that and I'd score 20 this season. On a plate from a perfect cross.

That's where we want Collo though, bullying people in the 6 yard box. As soon as he goes wide or drops deep he looks like he's erm, less effective.

3 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

To be fair, give me chances like that and I'd score 20 this season. On a plate from a perfect cross.

That's where we want Collo though, bullying people in the 6 yard box. As soon as he goes wide or drops deep he looks like he's erm, less effective.

He basically looks like he can’t play football outside the box. Said this for a few weeks, but we either need to find a way to carry him from open play until the final touch, or, he will need to be replaced. I think Warne knows we need another striker, just not been thrilled with the few links we have at the moment. 

8 minutes ago, Srg said:

He basically looks like he can’t play football outside the box. Said this for a few weeks, but we either need to find a way to carry him from open play until the final touch, or, he will need to be replaced. I think Warne knows we need another striker, just not been thrilled with the few links we have at the moment. 

Out of interest @Srg what are you hoping we get from a striker? That’s a genuine question as you’ve admitted to not being impressed with the links and Collins doesn’t seem to do it for you, interested what you’re hoping for?