Summer Rumour Mill

sage

28 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I don't think we'll play that formation that way, personally. Can't see PW wanting four wide players on the pitch at the same time when his primary tactic (from what I've seen so far) is to get the ball across from the flanks and have numbers in the box.

I don't think we'll play 3421 either. It was something we turned to at the end of the season after a very long barren spell.  It was mildly successful for about 3 halves of football and didn't manage get us the 2 points we needed from the last two games to secure a playoff spot.  Can't see Warne starting next season with it given it took so long for him to use it last season.

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

He was disappointing overall, I agree, but he has got ability. I just don't think he had the fitness to maintain his better performances. Hadn't he come off an injury hit season at Preston the season before, plus like the rest he didn't have a full pre-season at Derby last season.

Think I read he is asthmatic and got hit by Covid pretty badly, possibly suffering some sort of long Covid.

Not saying it was or it wasn’t but I imagine a Rosenior pre season may have been more forgiving than a Warne one which meant he just didn’t have the fitness needed for Warne’s style when it came to it (especially as a wing back).

Would like to see him in the front 3. He was a 1 in 6 player in the Championship. Should be more than good enough for us.

58 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Just curious as to what people think we need.

I agree with Warne with the respect of the back 4. One more centre back and ideally then a wing back that can also play CB like Roberts did. Someone like Harding for example.

I disagree with him slightly with midfield being ok. I don't think it is. Currently it's the same as last season minus Harvey White. So Hourihane, Knight, Bird and Smith. There isn't enough goals there for me and on occasions last season it did get bullied. I just think we're a bit lightweight there. Even without Knight leaving. I feel we need one more in midfield. If Knight does go, as seems inevitable, then we would need two in my opinion. Someone like Brannagan would improve our midfield and maybe loan like that El Mizouni. 

Warne also mentioned 3 attacking players. Now I'm not saying we missed Osula when he went back at all. I just think we missed having another striking option on the bench. We didn't have many options last season. We had Mcgoldrick, Collins, Osula, Barkhuizen, Mendez-Laing and Dobbin. We've not got 3 of them now. So immediately we need 3 just to replace them. But ideally I think we need 4. Probably one out and our centre forward and then others that could potentially play across the front 3. We had no competition for NML or Barkhuizen last season. Other than Dobbin.

So with nobody leaving now. I'd say a CB, RWB (ideally one that can play CB too), CM and 4 attacking players.

All just my opinion though. Happy to see if others think we need more less.

I think we’ll play either 352 or 3421.  I agree with Warne that 1 more CB and another WB who might cover both sides, and maybe a CB position.  Arguably we’ve strengthened midfield already as neither Knight or Smith really played there last season.  Signing WB’s has freed them up to play in their best positions.  I agree we did seem a bit lightweight at times so I would add a bit of strength in there.

Again, we’ve also improved the Number 10 position as Sibley is freed up to play there so we have him, NML and Barkhuizen.  I think I’d like for 2 more attacking players.  1 who’s a definite out and out striker and 1 who can play that role or in the supporting 10 role.  In a way, I think the focus on McGoldrick hindered Collins as he was asked to do the dirty work.  I think he’d like to be in and around the box a bit more.

After that, it depends who leaves.

58 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I agree with Warne with the respect of the back 4. One more centre back and ideally then a wing back that can also play CB like Roberts did. Someone like Harding for example.

I disagree with him slightly with midfield being ok. I don't think it is. Currently it's the same as last season minus Harvey White. So Hourihane, Knight, Bird and Smith. There isn't enough goals there for me and on occasions last season it did get bullied. I just think we're a bit lightweight there. Even without Knight leaving. I feel we need one more in midfield. If Knight does go, as seems inevitable, then we would need two in my opinion. Someone like Brannagan would improve our midfield and maybe loan like that El Mizouni. 

Warne also mentioned 3 attacking players. Now I'm not saying we missed Osula when he went back at all. I just think we missed having another striking option on the bench. We didn't have many options last season. We had Mcgoldrick, Collins, Osula, Barkhuizen, Mendez-Laing and Dobbin. We've not got 3 of them now. So immediately we need 3 just to replace them. But ideally I think we need 4. Probably one out and our centre forward and then others that could potentially play across the front 3. We had no competition for NML or Barkhuizen last season. Other than Dobbin.

So with nobody leaving now. I'd say a CB, RWB (ideally one that can play CB too), CM and 4 attacking players.

Share your concerns about the midfield.  Did quite like the look of Smith in midfield on the rare occasions that he played there for us but from right back his attacking threat was limited so not sure he will help out much going forward from midfield.

I like Bird and Hourihane and wouldn't want either to leave but the midfield last season was too lightweight and often gets bypassed going forward given the way Warne likes us to play.  Not sure what the answer is but would like to see a bit more steel and energy added.   Kind of hoped this would be part of the rebuild that Warne hinted at at the end of last season so was a bit disappointed when he said the midfield was ok I yesterdays interview.

9 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Think I read he is asthmatic and got hit by Covid pretty badly, possibly suffering some sort of long Covid.

Not saying it was or it wasn’t but I imagine a Rosenior pre season may have been more forgiving than a Warne one which meant he just didn’t have the fitness needed for Warne’s style when it came to it (especially as a wing back).

Would like to see him in the front 3. He was a 1 in 6 player in the Championship. Should be more than good enough for us.

It wasn't just his fitness though his whole game went to pieces.

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

I don't think we'll play 3421 either. It was something we turned to at the end of the season after a very long barren spell.  It was mildly successful for about 3 halves of football and didn't manage get us the 2 points we needed from the last two games to secure a playoff spot.  Can't see Warne starting next season with it given it took so long for him to use it last season.

I think it will be 3142

I expect we will switch between 352 and 3421 depending on if we need the body in midfield.

I'd be surprised if our go to isnt 3421 though, just because I don't know what you do with NML and Bark. Neither will want to be playing wing back, let alone second choice at wing back.

The two don't have to play particularly wide as the wingbacks will offer that, if the ball is on the wing, the opposite "winger" should be coming narrow to join the striker and make a 2.

My main concern is having a striker that will be able to hold the ball and bring players into the game.

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

It wasn't just his fitness though his whole game went to pieces.

Surely related though? If you aren’t fit enough then your standards will inevitably drop. I remember the Burton game where he came on at about 85 minutes, ran through 1 on 1 and put it wide and was absolutely goosed. 

Just think it was a long season where some players played more than they should mostly out of necessity. NML was knackered as well but probably had a bit more potential magic so played more towards the season end. I think and hope Barkhuizen will still contribute next season.

3 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

If PW is committed to the 3-5-2 formation then you'd expect it'll be Ward/Elder on the flanks with NML/Barkhuizen coming on as their replacements. Like you said in your post, I think we need a versatile wing-back who can maybe play both flanks, though. I like that Hamer at Burton Albion, but not sure we'll be looking to pay a fee for a back-up player. Might end up being a position we utilise the loan system for. 

Hamer is out of contract at Burton, I haven't seen a new contract for him announced yet. His massive long throw would be a huge asset for us. 

4 hours ago, Carnero said:

He was disappointing overall, I agree, but he has got ability. I just don't think he had the fitness to maintain his better performances. Hadn't he come off an injury hit season at Preston the season before, plus like the rest he didn't have a full pre-season at Derby last season.

The word out there was struggled since he got covid fitness wise from the Preston fans. 

2 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Hamer is out of contract at Burton, I haven't seen a new contract for him announced yet. His massive long throw would be a huge asset for us. 

I hope a club of our ambition sign players for their football ability over their throwing ability 

5 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Great post i too don't think our midfield is good enough, not enough goals and I think its crucial we add more goals all over the pitch really....a couple of strikers and a decent 10 would be nice but I've played in teams where midfielders score goals and it really does make a massive difference .....it would be where i spent a bit of money if me ...a decent striker a 10 and a goalscoring midfielder

also Harding and Bradley added to what we have would make us look very decent in a back 3 4 or 5 

Edited by S8TY

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He was offered a new contract and is only 23 = compensation 

It would only be a small compensation figure though. All of the measuring criteria are quite low in his case.

5 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I honestly thought he was a massive let down last season. Has a little purple patch. But flattered to deceive in so many games.

When he was in that purple patch, where he really was good, he was inexplicably left out for about 5 games for Dobbin.  I assumed he may get back in when Mendez-Laing had about 6 straight games wearing lead boots but still no games.  Very odd.  He was playing wing back at Preston in his last year and stated when he arrived he was looking forward to playing a much more advanced position.  Then Warne arrived .  He'll probably go but I have seen what he can do in this division in spells so I hope not

5 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

Share your concerns about the midfield.  Did quite like the look of Smith in midfield on the rare occasions that he played there for us but from right back his attacking threat was limited so not sure he will help out much going forward from midfield.

I like Bird and Hourihane and wouldn't want either to leave but the midfield last season was too lightweight and often gets bypassed going forward given the way Warne likes us to play.  Not sure what the answer is but would like to see a bit more steel and energy added.   Kind of hoped this would be part of the rebuild that Warne hinted at at the end of last season so was a bit disappointed when he said the midfield was ok I yesterdays interview.

Every time he's tackled it's like he's been shot.  We need an enforcer to make others grimace.  Too lightweight.

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Every time he's tackled it's like he's been shot.  We need an enforcer to make others grimace.  Too lightweight.

He got in some great positions with great runs but seem to have a hard time to hit the goal. A shame really since he otherwise would be a great player for us. Maybe finds his way this season fingers crossed.