Summer Rumour Mill

sage

6 minutes ago, Donegal Ram said:

If this is the case it's an awful scenario. We could regret this for seasons to come. 

He used to be an analyst it appears.  Seems he's highly thought of at both clubs he was with before.  I suspect he's been instructed to try and bring in a higher calibre of career player than he's used to as opposed to players just starting out. Probably ying and yang as it's not his forte and the cash in wages isn't there to push things through.  In that scenario a managers sway can help move things in the right direction.  How much help is that providing him. ?

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/the-man-from-portsmouths-past-with-midas-touch-now-on-his-way-to-derby-county-from-oxford-united-4034166

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-oxford-united-thomas-8169586

2 minutes ago, tinman said:

Bear in mind he was a Warne appointment. And Warne has signed at least one player that Mark Thomas didn’t want to. 

Who was that?

Anyhow, it's so important that the manager is happy with the recruitment team. Otherwise they have to go. (The recruitment team I mean. If the manager has to go, it will be for other reasons)

6 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Everything was stored on his works laptop and hidden behind secure logins, but Oxford wouldn't allow him back in the building to collect it and they've locked him out of his accounts so he can't access the cloud 

#notitkintheslightest (me, I mean)

Bit like John Gregory wouldn't let Christie and Riggott take their boots as they were the property of the club.  There was a reason he was so peed off.   Middlesbrough the bastions of fair play.  Believe that you'll believe owt. 

I’m sure most of us could have come up with a better strategy and list of players than what’s come through the door. It’s not like any of them are unknowns from some far flung league. 

I hope next years recruitment  much better and younger with the opportunity to increase in value and come into their prime playing years. 

The cycle of no return on investment has been killing this club for years. Surely the senior leadership must know this? We all bloody lived through it!

5 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I’m sure most of us could have come up with a better strategy and list of players than what’s come through the door. It’s not like any of them are unknowns from some far flung league. 

I hope next years recruitment  much better and younger with the opportunity to increase in value and come into their prime playing years. 

The cycle of no return on investment has been killing this club for years. Surely the senior leadership must know this? We all bloody lived through it!

There's 2 phrases in relation to transfers that spring to mind for me:

"The art of the possible"

and

"Don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough"

I mention these bacause it would seem we've been managing to to screw up on both of these with the players who were linked but went elsewhere, trying to get championship players to come to league 1 when you can't induce them with money is a hard sell, players in or near their peak years we could get are players who's peak is "ok league 1 player", young plays who might make it, the upside might be higher but the risk is higher and they're all costed based on the upside.

Then there's the system, players that suit, round pegs in round holes, how square is the peg, how round is the whole and is it worth having the slightly poor fit for a much better peg?

It all just looks so bad compared to last summer when from the ashes we pulled together not just a creditable squad but a good team and it's all just vanishing.

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

There's 2 phrases in relation to transfers that spring to mind for me:

"The art of the possible"

and

"Don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough"

I mention these bacause it would seem we've been managing to to screw up on both of these with the players who were linked but went elsewhere, trying to get championship players to come to league 1 when you can't induce them with money is a hard sell, players in or near their peak years we could get are players who's peak is "ok league 1 player", young plays who might make it, the upside might be higher but the risk is higher and they're all costed based on the upside.

Then there's the system, players that suit, round pegs in round holes, how square is the peg, how round is the whole and is it worth having the slightly poor fit for a much better peg?

It all just looks so bad compared to last summer when from the ashes we pulled together not just a creditable squad but a good team and it's all just vanishing.

Convince McGoldrick to stay, Convince Knight to give it another 12 months, add some pace in attack.

The job seemed a lot bigger last summer. 

It doesn't take a genius to realise most of these players aren't Mark Thomas's suggestions. His 'specialty' we'll call it is low league and Irish league 'gems'. Small fees with a huge sell on potential. Premier league academy off casts also. I think he will come good but so far people are a bit peeved off

3 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

It doesn't take a genius to realise most of these players aren't Mark Thomas's suggestions. His 'specialty' we'll call it is low league and Irish league 'gems'. Small fees with a huge sell on potential. Premier league academy off casts also. I think he will come good but so far people are a bit peeved off

Because they aren't all 30 year old ex-Rotherham players?

Maybe Mark Thomas isn't impressed with the sort of players Warne wants to sign, either? 

I remember reading the blurb about him when he started. That's exactly what we were told he was good at. So why did we employ him if we are only looking for League One promotion experience?

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Maybe Mark Thomas isn't impressed with the sort of players Warne wants to sign, either? 

I remember reading the blurb about him when he started. That's exactly what we were told he was good at. So why did we employ him if we are only looking for League One promotion experience?

Honestly no idea. He's clearly well respected and highly thought of. But at the moment it seems like different people all pulling in different directions

If this Thomas is so bad get rid of him and get someone else in 

half the fans on here came up with good suggestions and then saw them going on a free to other clubs 

not like it wasn’t a very important summer window or anything !! Jeeeez club is to blame for employing him if he can’t get to grips with our situation 

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

He sounds like a long term appointment overwhelmed by short term panic.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but whispers coming out of a club that it's all one person's fault, doesn't necessarily mean it's all that person's fault. Could be deflection.