Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

8 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Wouldn't mind that Sean Roughan from Lincoln, 19 year old can play LWB or LCB on a compensation fee and played nearly 40 games last season and he pocketed NML 

Feed that back to your source! 😄 Have you heard owt about strikers, we could do with some goals...

24 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Wouldn't mind that Sean Roughan from Lincoln, 19 year old can play LWB or LCB on a compensation fee and played nearly 40 games last season and he pocketed NML 

Yea, what’s the ITK news on Washington BT……what have you heard 😊

Did ask about Washington the other day, was told he was in talks exactly like Footy insider have stated. Not sure how far along talks are but the rumour is supposedly true 

34 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Feed that back to your source! 😄 Have you heard owt about strikers, we could do with some goals...

12 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Yea, what’s the ITK news on Washington BT……what have you heard 😊

After looking into Moxon at Carlisle a little more, I really hope we are in for him. He was almost universally rated as the best player in League Two last season, a true box to box midfielder - who had more tackles and more assists than any other player in the division. A true stand out who can provide match-winning moments and grit to keep you in games on the most consistent of basis. 

He won’t be cheap but if we can flip the money from Bird, Knight or even Bielik then it seems like a no brainier to me. What a great find by Simpson and Co - essentially a part time Scottish footballer who has thrived with a full time schedule. 

20 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

After looking into Moxon at Carlisle a little more, I really hope we are in for him. He was almost universally rated as the best player in League Two last season, a true box to box midfielder - who had more tackles and more assists than any other player in the division. A true stand out who can provide match-winning moments and grit to keep you in games on the most consistent of basis. 

He won’t be cheap but if we can flip the money from Bird, Knight or even Bielik then it seems like a no brainier to me. What a great find by Simpson and Co - essentially a part time Scottish footballer who has thrived with a full time schedule. 

Interesting shout, 25 years old, 6 goals and 15 assists in 45 games and if Transfermarkt is to be believed his contract expires in a year 

Not really sure Moxon would even want to move, not this season anyway.

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/june/owen-moxon-from-delivery-driving-to-wembley-success/

Carlisle are his boyhood club and he's just been instrumental in getting them promoted to League One. A year ago he was working part time as a delivery driver whilst playing in the Scottish 4th tier. He's got massive level of respect / love for Paul Simpson too (seems to be a theme amongst their fans!) so I can see him showing them a bit of loyalty.

I think it's far more likely that he'll want to see this season through as a Carlisle player, trying to help them stay up / establish themselves than chasing the money and risking a move somewhere that may not work out, at a club he doesn't have a passion for.

Edited by Kokosnuss

21 hours ago, Big Trav said:

Which is exactly what ive been saying since he destroyed NML at Pride Park!.. but, he has signed Callum Elder!

On 24/06/2023 at 11:59, Tamworthram said:

Do you mean Rak-Sakyi at Charlton?

You’re going to have to give us a bit more of a clue regarding the Lincoln player. There are quite a few “guys” there. 😀

Sean Roughan..left back for Lincoln..NML was last seen in his back pocket!

WARNING! This will be a long read.

Summary, for those who don't like to read:
I've assumed Knight and Bielik are sold, with no other first team departures.
We still need to fill the following positions: RCB, RWB, LWB, SS/AM, CF, CF. Suggestions for these roles are...
RCB: Matty Pennington (out of contract, from Shrewsbury)
RWB/LWB: Tom Hamer (Burton)
SS: Andy Moran (loan, from Brighton)
CF: George Hirst (Leicester)
CF: Conor Washington (Rotherham)

I would argue the main reason for our lack of success last season was down to quantity of chances created. We were heavily reliant on crosses from Hourihane and Mendez-Laing and set pieces from Hourihane. Whilst McGoldrick, Sibley, Bird, Knight and Barkhuizen chipped in with a few, we need to be looking at 40-50% more this season.

We have partially improved on that by signing two wing backs who love to get the ball in the box for attackers. Between our full backs last season, we were averaging roughly 2 key pass per game, only slightly better than what Hourihane was achieving by himself. Ward averaged 2.1 per 90 last season, whilst Elder averaged 1.7 in Hull's promotion season. That's almost twice the improvement on what we had last season in the wide areas. This is also before we add depth to these positions - either someone who covers both wing back positions, or with them also covering CB (such as Jaden Brown being a LWB covering CB, or Harding being a CB covering RWB).

Contrary to popular belief, our goal contributions from our midfielders are fine. Bird and Hourihane got a combined 25 in all competitions last season, whereas all of Plymouth's combined got 23 and Ipswich's got 28. With Smith and Thompson (or a new signing) chipping in with a couple as well, we're well set. You could argue we could do with someone else off the bench with more end product. Jensen Weir (Brighton) and Owen Moxon (Carlisle) would be high up my list.

It's no secret that we need more goals from our defenders, but Nelson isn't the answer. Cashin, Forsyth, Nelson and Rooney made a combined 5 goal contributions last season (11789 minutes played).
Plymouth's CBs had 14 contributions (14697 minutes) and Ipswich's also had 14 (13059 minutes). We definitely need to get an aerially dominant CB who is a threat from set pieces to make up some of the difference. Hopefully, Cashin can improve this part of his game too.

We're also desperate for at least 3 additions in the attacking positions. Plymouth got 109 goal contributions from playerss predominantly playing in the front 3 last season (15815 minutes) and Ipswich got 106 (14875 minutes).
Since we only have Collins, Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen and Sibley left, our remaining forwards got 52 goal contributions from 12394 minutes, although that includes 3 of those players also covering at full back. Remove those games and it's roughly 45 in 10500 minutes.
Whilst Collins and Barkhuizen's contributions per 90 were on the low side, they're perfectly suited for backup roles. Sibley's contribution was also relatively low, but with a consistent run in his best positions, and more creativity in the rest of the team, I would back him to  at least double his output next season if given the same amount of game time (12 goals and 4 assists). He could easily achieve over 20 goal contributions if we get the other additions in the forward area right.
Our two most important signings this summer will be in the attacking area. One CF and one SS/AM capable of getting close to 50 contributions between them. We'll also need a 2nd choice CF, capable of 15  contributions in 1500-2000 minutes (Cosgrove got 14 in 1692 minutes as 3rd choice CF for Plymouth).

The squad size will cater for giving some minutes to promising U21s: such as Moloney (LWB), DRobinson and Hawkins (CM), Davidson (SS) and Brown (CF)

Now back up to the top to see my actual suggestions for each positions needed.

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

WARNING! This will be a long read.

Summary, for those who don't like to read:
I've assumed Knight and Bielik are sold, with no other first team departures.
We still need to fill the following positions: RCB, RWB, LWB, SS/AM, CF, CF. Suggestions for these roles are...
RCB: Matty Pennington (out of contract, from Shrewsbury)
RWB/LWB: Tom Hamer (Burton)
SS: Andy Moran (loan, from Brighton)
CF: George Hirst (Leicester)
CF: Conor Washington (Rotherham)

I would argue the main reason for our lack of success last season was down to quantity of chances created. We were heavily reliant on crosses from Hourihane and Mendez-Laing and set pieces from Hourihane. Whilst McGoldrick, Sibley, Bird, Knight and Barkhuizen chipped in with a few, we need to be looking at 40-50% more this season.

We have partially improved on that by signing two wing backs who love to get the ball in the box for attackers. Between our full backs last season, we were averaging roughly 2 key pass per game, only slightly better than what Hourihane was achieving by himself. Ward averaged 2.1 per 90 last season, whilst Elder averaged 1.7 in Hull's promotion season. That's almost twice the improvement on what we had last season in the wide areas. This is also before we add depth to these positions - either someone who covers both wing back positions, or with them also covering CB (such as Jaden Brown being a LWB covering CB, or Harding being a CB covering RWB).

Contrary to popular belief, our goal contributions from our midfielders are fine. Bird and Hourihane got a combined 25 in all competitions last season, whereas all of Plymouth's combined got 23 and Ipswich's got 28. With Smith and Thompson (or a new signing) chipping in with a couple as well, we're well set. You could argue we could do with someone else off the bench with more end product. Jensen Weir (Brighton) and Owen Moxon (Carlisle) would be high up my list.

It's no secret that we need more goals from our defenders, but Nelson isn't the answer. Cashin, Forsyth, Nelson and Rooney made a combined 5 goal contributions last season (11789 minutes played).
Plymouth's CBs had 14 contributions (14697 minutes) and Ipswich's also had 14 (13059 minutes). We definitely need to get an aerially dominant CB who is a threat from set pieces to make up some of the difference. Hopefully, Cashin can improve this part of his game too.

We're also desperate for at least 3 additions in the attacking positions. Plymouth got 109 goal contributions from playerss predominantly playing in the front 3 last season (15815 minutes) and Ipswich got 106 (14875 minutes).
Since we only have Collins, Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen and Sibley left, our remaining forwards got 52 goal contributions from 12394 minutes, although that includes 3 of those players also covering at full back. Remove those games and it's roughly 45 in 10500 minutes.
Whilst Collins and Barkhuizen's contributions per 90 were on the low side, they're perfectly suited for backup roles. Sibley's contribution was also relatively low, but with a consistent run in his best positions, and more creativity in the rest of the team, I would back him to  at least double his output next season if given the same amount of game time (12 goals and 4 assists). He could easily achieve over 20 goal contributions if we get the other additions in the forward area right.
Our two most important signings this summer will be in the attacking area. One CF and one SS/AM capable of getting close to 50 contributions between them. We'll also need a 2nd choice CF, capable of 15  contributions in 1500-2000 minutes (Cosgrove got 14 in 1692 minutes as 3rd choice CF for Plymouth).

The squad size will cater for giving some minutes to promising U21s: such as Moloney (LWB), DRobinson and Hawkins (CM), Davidson (SS) and Brown (CF)

Now back up to the top to see my actual suggestions for each positions needed.

Think I will see if some mates will sponsor me to read the whole post, maybe a £1 for every 5 mins 😁 👻