Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

54 minutes ago, abertawe_ram said:

O'Connell and Stevens, both let go from Sheffield United, are excellent players adept in wing back system. They'll probably get championship offers unfortunately 

Enda stevens? 

if its him , id have him in a heartbeat.. outstanding footballer .. might be the wrong end of the age scale though if memory serves me right 

On 09/06/2023 at 11:40, Ghost of Clough said:

Cole Stockton - also ticks a lot of Warne boxes. Whilst not as clinical as others I've mentioned (36th), he still averaged a goal every 6.3 shots. Good in the air, one of the most creative CFs in the league relative to time on the ball and for one of the weakest teams in the division.

This is a strange one for me, He was on fire the season before last, Pretty sure he was lined up for a big ish move but didn't get it, I was surprised no one snapped him up, Had an up and down season just passed, For someone who scored a few...no one took a chance 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, The Last Post said:

This is a strange one for me, He was on fire the season before last, Pretty sure he was lined up for a big ish move but didn't get it, I was surprised no one snapped him up, Had an up and down season just passed, For someone who scored a few...no one took a chance 🤷‍♀️

Hes a difficult one to call. Scored just 4 goals in 35 league apps last season, then scored 7 in his last 4 apps.

3 hours ago, Oldben said:

Would Fankaty Dabo be a good signing?

Only ever been a bit part player for Coventry in the Championship, registering just 3 assists (0 goals) in the last 3 seasons. Not great for a wing back. Only 3 assists in their L1 promotion season too, playing 32 games.

Other key stats per 90 mins (average over 3 seasons):
Tackles - 2.2 (73%)
Interceptions - 1.1
Blocks - 1.3
Shots - 0.4
Dribbles - 1.3 (48%)
Aerial battles won - 0.7 (42%)
Key passes - 0.7

To put it in to perspective, there isn't much difference between those stats and Sibley at LB. Sibley is much weaker in the air, but makes 3.2 successful tackles per 90 (76%).

Josh Key would be my number 1 target. He's weaker in the air but a stronger attacking output than any other RWB linked with us. Would cost a compensation fee though.
Mitch Clark would be a strong contender, if not for his likely ban due to betting. Toney recently got 8 months for 232 breaches. Clark placed 312 bets.
Sean Clare has been linked and is statistically very similar to Dabo, even with being in a division below.
One player who ticks a lot of key metrics but I haven't seen mention is Tom Hamer from Burton. One of the best defensive options at RWB, but doesn't dribble or shoot as often. However, he still surpasses the likes of Dabo with key passes. 23 but offered a deal by Burton so will cost compensation.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Only ever been a bit part player for Coventry in the Championship, registering just 3 assists (0 goals) in the last 3 seasons. Not great for a wing back. Only 3 assists in their L1 promotion season too, playing 32 games.

Tackles - 2.2 (73%)
Interceptions - 1.1
Blocks - 1.3
Shots - 0.4
Dribbles - 1.3 (48%)
Key passes - 0.7

To put it in to perspective, there isn't much difference between those stats and Sibley at LB. Sibley is much weaker in the air, but makes 3.2 successful tackles per 90 (76%).

Josh Key would be my number 1 target. He's weaker in the air but a stronger attacking output than any other RWB linked with us. Would cost a compensation fee though.
Mitch Clark would be a strong contender, if not for his likely ban due to betting. Toney recently got 8 months for 232 breaches. Clark placed 312 bets.
Sean Clare has been linked and is statistically very similar to Dabo, even with being in a division below.
One player who ticks a lot of key metrics but I haven't seen mention is Tom Hamer from Burton. One of the best defensive options at RWB, but doesn't dribble or shoot as often. However, he still surpasses the likes of Dabo with key passes. 23 but offered a deal by Burton so will cost compensation.

Good shout, I said last season we should be looking at him and Sam Hughes (CB), both look solid defensively, would fit our system, wouldn't cost too much, and wouldn't have to relocate...

14 minutes ago, Srg said:

Not sure he would cost compensation would he? I know he's 23, but he wasn't brought through at Burton. They bought him from Oldham 2 years ago. Doesn't that disqualify them from receiving compensation? I may be wrong, but that's how I thought it worked.

Anyone 23 or under and was offered a contract equal to or greater than the terms they were previously on. Doesn't matter if they've been at the club 2 years to 20.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Anyone 23 or under and was offered a contract equal to or greater than the terms they were previously on. Doesn't matter if they've been at the club 2 years to 20.

Must be getting it confused with the academy rules.

10 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

I still think Sam Byram (ex Norwich) would be worth a gamble with his fitness. He is a quality team player who always gives 100%. Can play full back, centre back, wing back. Quality player for Div 1

wages are likely an issue

Not really a suggestion, more of a general player availability alert.

He's not very good at doing anything other than knocking the ball in the net from inside the penalty area, but 36 year old Adam Le Fondre looks to return to the UK to find his next club, having scored 73 goals in 126 games for Sydney FC.

Edited by Kokosnuss

Corey O'Keefe (25) - Forest Green right wing back, was impressed whenever I seen him this season,

-Got 7 assists this season (15th most in the league) in a dreadful team,                                                                                                               

-created 9 big chances this season (also 15th best in the league)                                                                                                                         

-1.4 successful dribbles per90 (26th best in the league) completing 58.3% of his attempted dribbles, which is a better success rate than NML, Barkhuizen, Dobbin, Sibley, Knight, Roberts and Korey smith,                                                                                                                       

-Also averaged 1.2 successful tackles per90 at a 67.7% success rate - which betters Cashin's (61.7%), Knight's (58.3%), Fozzy's (54.3%) and Roberts dreadful (30.4%) which is actually the worst of any outfield player in league one last season,

I think he could be picked up on a cheap and thrive in a team who will be on top in games, Also coming into his prime years which we all know Warne wants.

Di'Shon Bernard (22), just announced he'll be leaving Man Utd as a free agent this summer, can play RB/CB so would be ideal at Right Centre back in a three, He is 6'2 with a good passing range also has good pace aswell as being physical,

He was on loan at Portsmouth for the second half of the season this year playing 10 games, but in those 10 games had very impressive numbers, which I've compared to our two main Centre backs this season in Cashin and Fozzy,

Bernard           Cashin            Fozzy

1. Successful tackles p90         -  0.98                1.17                  0.57                     
  2. Blocks p90                             - 0.56                 0.23                 0.15
  3. Clearance's p90                    - 4.19                  4.15                  4.70
  4. Headed Clearance's p90      - 2.65                 2.51                  2.47
  5. Interceptions p90                  - 2.79                 1.83                  1.05                   

Doesn't worry me to much how he has only 10 games to go off, as in 21/22 he played 28 games for hull in the championship and was well capable at that level, I think he'd be a great addition and ticks a lot of boxes for us.                                  

Edited by Eoghan1884
typo

58 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Di'Shon Bernard (22), just announced he'll be leaving Man Utd as a free agent this summer, can play RB/CB so would be ideal at Right Centre back in a three, He is 6'2 with a good passing range also has good pace aswell as being physical,

He was on loan at Portsmouth for the second half of the season this year playing 10 games, but in those 10 games had very impressive numbers, which I've compared to our two main Centre backs this season in Cashin and Fozzy,

Bernard           Cashin            Fozzy

1. Successful tackles p90         -  0.98                1.17                  0.57                     
  2. Blocks p90                             - 0.56                 0.23                 0.15
  3. Clearance's p90                    - 4.19                  4.15                  4.70
  4. Headed Clearance's p90      - 2.65                 2.51                  2.47
  5. Interceptions p90                  - 2.79                 1.83                  1.05                   

Doesn't worry me to much how he has only 10 games to go off, as in 21/22 he played 28 games for hull in the championship and was well capable at that level, I think he'd be a great addition and ticks a lot of boxes for us.                                  

Pompey Forum fans all over this one already.

Getting this deal done for Bernard should be a clear sign to the Supporters that Pompey are serious about building a young, talented team with the ability to get promotion. If another L1 team beats them to his signature this would equally be a bad sign

Transfer window opens Wednesday 14th. Get it done Pompey!

…………seems to have made a good impression whilst on loan.

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Tackles - 2.2 (73%)
Interceptions - 1.1
Blocks - 1.3
Shots - 0.4
Dribbles - 1.3 (48%)
Key passes - 0.7

I had a look at different indicators and found similar, Dabo is a better defender - Clare is better on the ball. 

On Josh Key, he's obviously built a decent reputation but statistically he's lacking in a lot of areas - 

In terms of total actions and how many of them result in a positive and negative play - he sits at 54%. In comparison, Clare is at 69.6%. He has bad 'dual' win percentage at 43.5% whilst Clare is at 53.8%.  He also has a bad ball loss to recovery ratio which is something you wouldn't want in your full back - negative differential isn't a problem but his swing is quite large. The one upside is he doesn't tend to lose the ball in his own half a lot, which Sean Clare unfortunately does. 

If we are going with a 3-4-3 formation next season then I'm still pushing for a full report on Remeao Hutton - He doesn't have the defensive experience of some of the others but in terms of ability at crossing the ball - he's one of the best in the football league. 

For reference - he crosses the ball at twice the rate per 90 than Andrew Robertson and has a better cross accuracy to boot. It just depends on what we're looking for in our wing backs - it's unlikely we get everything so do we put more emphasis on a player who excels in putting in crosses or stopping crosses? 

40 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I had a look at different indicators and found similar, Dabo is a better defender - Clare is better on the ball. 

On Josh Key, he's obviously built a decent reputation but statistically he's lacking in a lot of areas - 

In terms of total actions and how many of them result in a positive and negative play - he sits at 54%. In comparison, Clare is at 69.6%. He has bad 'dual' win percentage at 43.5% whilst Clare is at 53.8%.  He also has a bad ball loss to recovery ratio which is something you wouldn't want in your full back - negative differential isn't a problem but his swing is quite large. The one upside is he doesn't tend to lose the ball in his own half a lot, which Sean Clare unfortunately does. 

If we are going with a 3-4-3 formation next season then I'm still pushing for a full report on Remeao Hutton - He doesn't have the defensive experience of some of the others but in terms of ability at crossing the ball - he's one of the best in the football league. 

For reference - he crosses the ball at twice the rate per 90 than Andrew Robertson and has a better cross accuracy to boot. It just depends on what we're looking for in our wing backs - it's unlikely we get everything so do we put more emphasis on a player who excels in putting in crosses or stopping crosses? 

I'm quite happy for Paul Warne and the coaching staff to make that decision.

6 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Not really a suggestion, more of a general player availability alert.

He's not very good at doing anything other than knocking the ball in the net from inside the penalty area, but 36 year old Adam Le Fondre looks to return to the UK to find his next club, having scored 73 goals in 126 games for Sydney FC.

He is one of those players when you look back on his career, he has scored some goals!