Wigan Athletic Players Not Paid (Again)

JfR

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I saw a Wigan fan with communication into the club say that -12 has been confirmed. 

When players aren’t paid, surely it makes sense to bring in legislation that allows these players to move on for free - if not unpaid for good reason? It just makes sense and will ensure owners pay players to secure assets. This is obviously in dangerous territory now. They’re hated by the majority of the clubs due to how they spent money last time in League One and apparently rubbed everyone’s face in it, but I feel bad for them - very real possibility they don’t see out the season or even see IN the season.

I would have thought that would be a civil matter. Once one party has reneged on the contract by failing to make payment, I would have thought all bets would be off.

17 minutes ago, MarsdenRam said:

I would have thought that would be a civil matter. Once one party has reneged on the contract by failing to make payment, I would have thought all bets would be off.

At the risk of being dull and obvious it would depend on how the clauses relating payment and late/non-payment are written in the contract of each player wouldn't it? You'd think it'd be cut n dried but I bet lawyers could still make a argument out of it.

It might be helpful for the EFL and premier league to agree a standard clause on the basis that non-payment after so many days or by so many instances (e.g. 10 days total or 3 seperate occasions?) voids the contract and they can leave the club. If its then a standard clause in all contracts it'd make it pretty easy for players to say "contract not met, i'm leaving" without having to have lawyers argue about what had been breached in the contract.

18 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

That's pretty dreadful but always seemed to be the way things would end up (or else the EFL pull the plug on them because they can't prove funding for the season). Their current owner clearly doesn't have the necessary wonga (or else won't put it into the club) and there's little sign of any credible saviour on the horizon....

49 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Sad to see a club in trouble like this. Hope someone like a Wigan Clowes can rescue them... 

I agree but think it's highly unlikely. Wigan has always been a rugby-supporting town and will probably continue to be, making them a far less attractive proposition than we ever were. 

Terrible situation - I do wonder if Dave Whelan will come to the rescue, at least in the short-term, to buy them time. 

League One and Two clubs genuine hold Wigan in contempt due to how they went about things during their last promotion. Much like a lot of clubs held us. Realistically, though, we were far bigger in terms of community impact and commercially viable than Wigan were/are. It looks like a very tough situation and if players can walk out the door from Friday then that could be curtains. 

I read that the guy who owns or part owns Wigan Warriors Rugby League is looking into a deal for the football club and stadium together. Make sense with the stadium being shared by both teams. Hopefully that'll be the end result. I also saw that their HMRC debt is £2.5m as opposed to the £20m+ that we owed.

Edited by Carnero

• 1 month later...