Confirmed close season renewals, incomings and outgoings

1 hour ago, Mihangel said:

While there is a lot to do, how refreshing is it that we're sat on May 11th, estabished our retained list, know which division we're going to be in, know the budget and restrictions, when was it last like this?!?

Probably the last time we failed to get in the Play Offs, whilst simultaneously not being in Administration and/or a relegation dog fight?  

So end of the 16/17 season?  🤷‍♂️

IMO PW has known for a while how much of a "warchest" he would have. The revised business plan sent to, and now approved by, the EFL, will have evolved from lengthy talks with the EFL over a couple of months. Finally sent to the EFL once we were out of the playoffs. The EFL will have known what was in it and it was merely a question of rubber stamping what they had agreed with David Clowes. 

This all means that PW can now start concrete discussions with clubs and players, safe in the knowledge that he can put sufficient on the table to attract the players he wants.

I expect to see incoming sooner rather than later.

16 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

"The evening of July 1, 2022 seems a lifetime away now........"

Quote from David Clowes.

We're pretty much 2 months ahead of where we were last season.....and more stable, able to spend a bit and will have a full pre-season.

Can't wait til August!

It should hopefully be the most exciting summer we’ve had for a long time!

Like you said, 2 months ahead in terms of time, but in reality we’re miles & miles ahead as a club. The thing that’ll be more important than time is the stability and flexibility we can now offer. We’re a far way from scrapping around for whatever’s left after surviving as a club by the skin of our teeth.

We have a manager 9 months into the job who has had time to assess what we need to improve, with players who will already be aware of what is expected of them.

A head of recruitment chosen by the manager to help get round pegs for round holes.

The most room to manoeuvre a manager has had for us in god knows when, in terms of being able to recruit alongside a certain vision in terms of spaces in the squad and resources.

I’m pretty sure we last spent a fee on Jozwiak and that was 3 years ago!

I think the biggest problem will be hitting the ground running with so many new faces coming in at once, but if we can manage that, we should be in for an excellent season.

2 hours ago, Kernow said:

I think the biggest problem will be hitting the ground running with so many new faces coming in at once, but if we can manage that, we should be in for an excellent season.

... and therein lies the challenge. New players sometimes gel immediately, some take time, some never do. I feel we should welcome all new signings but remember that past successes don't, necessarily, equate to current and future ones. Marriott and Hales come to mind, neither of whom repeated former exploits, for different reasons, at Derby. We'll get an idea on any newbies in pre season but only really get to know them in the League.

Take Wildsmith as an example. Pre season he didn't really put any confidence into any of us. He had a great season. Let's be patient with all incoming players.

9 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

... and therein lies the challenge. New players sometimes gel immediately, some take time, some never do. I feel we should welcome all new signings but remember that past successes don't, necessarily, equate to current and future ones. Marriott and Hales come to mind, neither of whom repeated former exploits, for different reasons, at Derby. We'll get an idea on any newbies in pre season but only really get to know them in the League.

Take Wildsmith as an example. Pre season he didn't really put any confidence into any of us. He had a great season. Let's be patient with all incoming players.

We had the same problem this season though. Lots of new faces, an uninspiring win against Oxford and then a loss against Charlton that we really should’ve won. I thought that they were problems that would iron themselves out during the season but wastefulness was our downfall throughout.

6 minutes ago, Kernow said:

We had the same problem this season though. Lots of new faces, an uninspiring win against Oxford and then a loss against Charlton that we really should’ve won. I thought that they were problems that would iron themselves out during the season but wastefulness was our downfall throughout.

Obviously remains to be seen how quickly we do business, but you'd like to think we will have longer on the training pitch with more players than we did last year. Should at least help.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Obviously remains to be seen how quickly we do business, but you'd like to think we will have longer on the training pitch with more players than we did last year. Should at least help.

My hope too. Don’t forget we didn’t even have a kit in time for pre-season. We’ve got our first pre-season without any kind of uncertainty or turmoil for many years so that should hopefully make a big difference.

2 hours ago, Srg said:

That running around at full tilt needs to be carefully schooled. You cant just strap a pair of shorts onto a speedster and watch him run....cough.....Theo Robinson......🤣

48 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

That running around at full tilt needs to be carefully schooled. You cant just strap a pair of shorts onto a speedster and watch him run....cough.....Theo Robinson......🤣

Good old Theo.... Speed - check. Instinctive - check. Time to think - erm...   and that was, IMO, his issue. Doing things instinctively with no time and no room, very good. Given all the time and space in the world and half a dozen options it went wrong.

18 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Good old Theo.... Speed - check. Instinctive - check. Time to think - erm...   and that was, IMO, his issue. Doing things instinctively with no time and no room, very good. Given all the time and space in the world and half a dozen options it went wrong.

Him and Nathan Tyson - the speediest, most useless forward line weve fielded in decades....😉

I’m sure Paul and his team are working their socks off behind the scenes to sign players. But the longer it goes on , I do worry about David McGoldrick. Finding a 25 goal striker is really hard. I hope he does not fancy one more crack at the Championship.

41 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I’m sure Paul and his team are working their socks off behind the scenes to sign players. But the longer it goes on , I do worry about David McGoldrick. Finding a 25 goal striker is really hard. I hope he does not fancy one more crack at the Championship.

I don't see it. Could happen, but I'm sure McGoldrick is enjoying playing somewhere close to home, I doubt he will get more money and it's probably more attractive to play somewhere you are loved in front of 27,000 aiming for promotion than some lower half championship side.

30 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I don't see it. Could happen, but I'm sure McGoldrick is enjoying playing somewhere close to home, I doubt he will get more money and it's probably more attractive to play somewhere you are loved in front of 27,000 aiming for promotion than some lower half championship side.

Imagine not scoring a hat trick in your entire career then getting 3 in a season at 35 playing down the road from your house... I wouldn't be moving.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Don’t Sunderland get 37,000? He is much travelled , and seems to like the South coast. Must have a bit of cash stashed away so let’s keep everything crossed.

5 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Don’t Sunderland get 37,000? He is much travelled , and seems to like the South coast. Must have a bit of cash stashed away so let’s keep everything crossed.

So what? Who says Sunderland are interested in him? We get bigger crowds than 95% of the Championship, he is from Nottingham. Pretty sure at this point in his career being close to home and somewhere you are getting plenty of football and are valued is going to factor highly. 

35 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I’m not quite sure you can suggest Sunderland as a club he would move to, then in the same sentence say he likes the South Coast? You can’t really get much further away. Plus he spent a few years there early in his career and hasn’t played for a south coast club since 2009.

His career has already peaked. He’s played in the PL for a couple of seasons, he will know that’s not going to happen again. He’s playing for a side close to home, scoring at a rate he’s never managed before, and just won player of the season. At 35, is he going to uproot and move again to play in the Championship for similar money, maybe slightly more?

The only way I see him leaving is if he’s told he’s not guaranteed football. Given that we now have a lot more flexibility, I wouldn’t be surprised if Warne can’t guarantee him anything if we’re going to bring in younger players with more energy. If he left Derby, the club I could see him going to most, providing they get promotion, would be Notts County. And that wouldn’t be for the financial benefits.

22 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I’m not quite sure you can suggest Sunderland as a club he would move to, then in the same sentence say he likes the South Coast? You can’t really get much further away. Plus he spent a few years there early in his career and hasn’t played for a south coast club since 2009.

His career has already peaked. He’s played in the PL for a couple of seasons, he will know that’s not going to happen again. He’s playing for a side close to home, scoring at a rate he’s never managed before, and just won player of the season. At 35, is he going to uproot and move again to play in the Championship for similar money, maybe slightly more?

The only way I see him leaving is if he’s told he’s not guaranteed football. Given that we now have a lot more flexibility, I wouldn’t be surprised if Warne can’t guarantee him anything if we’re going to bring in younger players with more energy. If he left Derby, the club I could see him going to most, providing they get promotion, would be Notts County. And that wouldn’t be for the financial benefits.

It was suggested that playing in front of 27,000 fans would make him sign again. How , l wonder have Brentford and Bournemouth attracted players to get them in the Prem? It would be great if we could read players minds. It could be the difference between a 1 or 2 year contract that will be the decider.

7 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

It was suggested that playing in front of 27,000 fans would make him sign again. How , l wonder have Brentford and Bournemouth attracted players to get them in the Prem? It would be great if we could read players minds. It could be the difference between a 1 or 2 year contract that will be the decider.

No, that is not what I said. I said it could be a factor, not that it was the only reason he would choose to play for us again, read my points properly. Every player has different things they favour, it was suggested that we have a number of factors that work in our favour that would make McGoldrick choose to re-sign for us. 

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

The reason we were an option when he joined us was because we are local to 'home'. Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire and South Yorkshire is pretty much the limit of how far he'd be willing to go