Reasons to still (hopefully) be positive...

Kernow

32 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Love this. I’ve been through thick & thin with this club for the last 42 years and was gutted at the final whistle yesterday. Then 5 minutes later me and my mate were discussing our away trip schedule for next season! COYR.

I know what you mean, looking forward to going to Orient next season and getting to those grounds I missed out on this season, Exeter and Bristol Rovers. 

I am disappointed because of the way it happened yesterday.  But I am happy that we competed this season with a fairly thin and hastily put together squad, and it has been mainly about the football without of the other worries and the circus that surrounded us when WR was our manager.

For sure, this time last year I would have accepted my beloved Derby still being in existence and a top half finish, and I said so at the time.

We have a lot to cheer for.  A confirmation that our fans are some of the best, unlike some we support our club through thick and thin, we are stable and have an owner that cares.  It feels a bit bad this morning, but the future is bright…

COYR

It’s a blessing in disguise the statistics show we struggle to beat any team in the top half. If we were promoted to the championship, we would need  a major rebuild and we will struggle with tight financial restrictions especially if the likes of forest Everton Leeds are in the championship next season. So next season we onlyneed a slight improvement in the team and hopefully get promoted.

Let's face it, with the start of the season being made with the thread-barest of squads, so many incoming new players throughout and a new league to get used to, the first few months in League One were always going to be difficult.

Had the squad been as settled then as they ended up being, I have no doubts at all we'd have been challenging for top honours but sadly, that was never going to happen.

Looking forward to next season with (hopefully) a strong start to it and maintaining that form right the way through to seasnon's end.

C'mon you Sheepsies!

Thanks Kernow. I was going to create a similar thread (Reasons to be cheerful)

Whilst there is the inevitable disappointment at missing out on the playoffs, I believe there are reasons to be cheerful:

1. We still have a club. Let us not forget how close we were to loosing DCFC
  2. The club is being run sustainably.
  3. We have a manager that is enthusiastic and knows how to get promoted out of this league.
  4. Under Warne and his assistants, the team appears to have been exactly that - a team. There is a togetherness.
  5. The fans have done us proud this season. Absolutely fantastic. Highest average attendance in league 1 and 19th across all divisions including the prem. And the away support. I have never seen a game where the away support outnumbers the home support, which we did this season.
  6. We get the opportunity to visit grounds again that we rarely get to visit in the league
  7. We are an attractive proposition in this league - both the club and the management team
  8. Warne now gets a full transfer window to bring in players that he would like (albeit not without some restrictions)

I'm actually looking forward to next season. Let the lads have a break, come back and have a full preseason to get ready to go again.

COYR

11 hours ago, Andicis said:

Sure, they were better than us this year. On the head to heads vs Plymouth at the least, we were fairly matched sides. Not much in it there, the home game we threw away entirely also. The main point is that there are many teams that are going to be scrapping in the bottom of that league that we could certainly compete with, I'm not going to argue specifics for a fictional scenario. 

You're basing your entire point on some misguided guarantee of promotion next year. No such guarantee exists. It's a tough old league. We would generate significantly more revenue in the Championship. The revenue doesn't "have to be spent" on anything, we would have more room for manoeuvre on our business plan. I've no time for this rubbish spin about it being better to be in a lower league. It's just that - rubbish. 

I've quotes your post (but not arguing with you as such).

If there is one thing Mel Morris was actually right about...just one, it is this:

The clubs that go onto being successful in the championship, are those in receipt of parachute money and those promoted from league 1, with small budgets and then find themselves able to lose lots more money, which gives them an opportunity to strengthen.

Leicester, Norwich, sheff United, Southampton...just a handful of clubs that were relegated to league 1 and have gone onto make it to the prem. There are others too.

When we are promoted we need thr restrictions lifted, so we can strengthen significantly.

We've now got the march on new transfers on the 3 clubs whom will fail in the playoffs.

Plus the team whom loses in the playoff final will be sufficiently demoralised that it will carry on into next season.

Warne will use not reaching the playoffs as a tool to galvanise us to promotion next season. 

I'm very positive. The club is well run, debt free, has a well regarded manager, and a sensible owner who won't be waving large cheques about or giving out stupid unaffordable contracts. Hopefully some development over the summer, with some out and a few in. I suspect not as many as some would like.

When does the new season kick off.

Also lets get rid of the "Duck the EFL" and and " They docked us 21 points" please and move on.

Obviously yesterday was hugely disappointing, not least because of the way it happened with the 'penalty' and red card but we really should have got over the line long before yesterday but we didn't and Peterborough took their chance. Needing something at Wednesday was always going to have a significant risk element.

Having said all that, before the season started I just wanted to watch us be competitive on the pitch and win some games and not be completely hamstrung by deductions and a fiasco off the field. We've had that and we acquitted ourselves well but just came up short. It obviously stings a bit right now but we perhaps had our expectation raised by that mid-season run and we started to believe.

Sure, we've got restrictions on what we can do as regards transfers but the manager now has the chance to build his own team with players who can do what he is needing them to do rather than inherit someone else's team and just try to mould them into what he wants. We know that we can't go mad, but I'm genuinely excited to see what sort of players we bring in and discussing those transfers on here. It won't be long before we're eagerly awaiting pre-season training and the players reporting back, along with some new faces. We missed out but we go again next year and we look forward to having another pop at it. Twas ever thus ! 😊

13 hours ago, Andicis said:

Who says we can't spend a penny? We'd have to operate within a business plan, but it'd be relaxed if we were in the Championship.

So 3 teams? Sure, they'll be towards the top. What about QPR, Rotherham, Plymouth, Ipswich, Huddersfield, Birmingham. Do you really think we can't compete with that? 

No, I wouldn't. We still lose £10 million. We are not guaranteed to go up. We are guaranteed however to have lost £10 million revenue. This is not a good thing. 

I was informed elsewhere this morning that the EFL "midterm" review took place last month. Result was no change unless we were to get promoted in which the wage cap would be raised a little. Still no loan/transfer fees could be paid.

I haven't seen that anywhere else other than the reply to my FB post this morning. Has anybody else seen/heard this?

1 minute ago, MadAmster said:

I was informed elsewhere this morning that the EFL "midterm" review took place last month. Result was no change unless we were to get promoted in which the wage cap would be raised a little. Still no loan/transfer fees could be paid.

I haven't seen that anywhere else other than the reply to my FB post this morning. Has anybody else seen/heard this?

If that news is from a facebook post, I'm sorry but that is 99.99999% absolute rubbish. 

Well that's another season over. It's been extremely eventful, some good times, some bad times but football will continue no matter what. I know there has been contentious issues throughout the year. Poor officials, bad decisions, missed goalmouth opportunities but it's balanced out by the sheer euphoria of seeing my beloved team playing in a stadium fit for the Premiership. Gutted we didn't get in the playoffs but, in my heart of hearts, I think we would have struggled big time in the Championship with what the EFL have still imposed on us. We have the stability at the helm for once, we have a financial structure which we still need to adhere to (for the time being) and we have a manager who WILL get us out of this league sometime soon. August can't come quick enough for me. Will get me season ticket asap, will look forward to the fixtures coming out, and will turn up to bellow my support at PP and elsewhere. I will be a year older then, creeping towards my 70th birthday, but it's what I do. Football and anything to do with Derby County, is special to me and countless other thousands of DCFC fans. Very proud to be a Rams fan. Always was,always will be.UTR!

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

If that news is from a facebook post, I'm sorry but that is 99.99999% absolute rubbish. 

Thanks. I've asked Fran J Hales for a source. He/she won't be able to find one. I found derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-efl-business-plan-8332100  which states that the plan will be finalised and sent to the EFL for approval AFTER we know which League we will be in and we didn't know that until yesterday. No way is the assertion that the review was last month and there's no change, true.

I'm going on the premise that the discussions between DCFC and the EFL will have covered whether we've been "good", what sort of profit we have made over the season, any improvements we might need to make if there are issues (I doubt there are) and, based on our good housekeeping, what easing of restrictions might be possible depending on which League we are in. That would indicate that the contents are pretty much agreed, just need to dot a few i's and cross a t or two and the EFL will receive a document whose contents shouldn't be a surprise.

We shall see what transpires.

3 hours ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

I'm very positive. The club is well run, debt free, has a well regarded manager, and a sensible owner who won't be waving large cheques about or giving out stupid unaffordable contracts. Hopefully some development over the summer, with some out and a few in. I suspect not as many as some would like.

When does the new season kick off.

Also lets get rid of the "Duck the EFL" and and " They docked us 21 points" please and move on.

Unless we change the words from "and we'll be straight back up" to, "we've gone and ballsed it up".

6 hours ago, Jayram said:

I’ve been through thick & thin with this club for the last 42 years and was gutted at the final whistle yesterday. Then 5 minutes later me and my mate were discussing our away trip schedule for next season! COYR.

Only 42 years - wait until you've got to 61 years (1962-2023), which I reached this season, and will be renewing my season ticket the minute they are issued.

I've seen the lot from promotions & relegations, two administrations, endless board disputes & the 'three amigo's; good, bad & useless managers who have come and gone so regulary you can't keep up; the BBG & Pride Park; great international players and some that didn't deserve a paying for their lack of skill or energy, and the great European Cup nights.

When's the Fixture List out?

On 19/04/2023 at 19:55, MarsdenRam said:

This should be the pre-match entertainment before every game. Poor Rammie and Ewie lol.

16 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Because had we been relegated next year we have to rebuild again. And relegation would have been fairly likely given the fact we couldn't spend a penny and currently have a team that has struggled to compete in the top 6 of league 1.

And, if say Leeds, Forest, Southampton, everton or Leicester come down, how are they comparable to league 1 football clubs? 

Next year most likely would have been very painful. 

Book mark what I've said and come back in a year and let's see where we are. If we manage to achieve promotion next season after winning league 1, you would then think missing out this season weren't that bad after all.

You go up when you can. We could have competed next season at championship level. Never going to be top 8-10, but we  would be competitive. You saying we we wouldn't be as strong as Rotherham, QPR, Hull, Brum, Cardiff, Huddersfield...