Portsmouth (H) Sat 29th April

44 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

🙂 

First of all this reminded me of Bobby charlton’s substitution in the qf of the 1970 World Cup. Rested for a ‘semi-final that never happened...’

The other thing is this: this season Warne has barely protected Didzy at all. It’s astonishing he has remained more or less injury free. 

Think I heard in one of the recent interviews something about McGoldrick’s training being tailored along these lines, he’s protected during the week so we can make the most of him on match days. I don’t think I imagined that but I also can’t be bothered to find out when it was said (if at all). 

45 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Nigh on Full House...

There seemed to be an awful lot of folk milling around 10 mins before kick off, checking print-outs and turnstile numbers... then folk not knowing where/how to insert said print-off... then checking again for stair numbers etc, once inside.

Both the seat in front of me, and the one to my left were inhabited for the first time this season!  (Purchased matchday morning it seems, as they were both still available at 9am yesterday.  They were 2 yoofs together, but no way was I swapping so they could sit next to each other.
Their Brummie accent and general demeanor towards The Rams enabled me to discount any theory they may be Pompey infiltrators, at least.  

There was also a kerfuffle towards the back of the NE corner during the first half, with someone raging across the aisle at someone else to "Just get out" etc, with pointy fingers, wavey fists, and puffy-reddened cheeks! 
Teary toddlers being ferried-in-arms down the stairs to the sanctuary of the concourse wasn't ideal, given the sun was out.  
All very exciting, by NE corner standards.

There was a bit of a kick off outside the eaststand after the game too

Disappointing result really. I think Warne got his set up spot on and we were absolutely flying from the start, but it's a bit of a worry how much we let our heads drop by one set back. Wildsmith made some excellent saves to keep it 0-1. I think we had enough to win it and secure our spot in the playoffs, it'll be a tough game next week but hopefully we'll just about have enough. 

8 hours ago, S8TY said:

White was on for about ten mins ffs ...how much can you really do in ten mins ......before you posted this I wondered if you’d have your usual pop at White ....and hey presto.....never fail to be consistent with the players you dislike even if they only get on for a few mins 

10 minutes when we were trying for a winner. 10 minutes, if it makes no difference why bother? Before I posted I thought there'll be someone having their usual pop at me...and hey presto... 😄

Smith made a difference and Barks and White didn't. White was mentioned for his 'yet again' attempt at giving a goal away when he skittled our two CBs in the box at a Pompey attack.

Edited by RoyMac5

3 minutes ago, Mikeyboy1963 said:

Good to see some genuine chances created this week according to Sky. Rather than the damp squib served up against Burton. 

11C26EDA-45BA-4970-9467-185BA1EA791A.png

Shouldn't you be discussing Burton's defeat yesterday somewhere else? 

12 minutes ago, Mikeyboy1963 said:

Good to see some genuine chances created this week according to Sky. Rather than the damp squib served up against Burton. 

What am I mising here !!!!

Portsmouth               On target shots 6   Off target shots 2       Total shots 8 

Derby                        On target shots 5   Off target shots 7       Total shots 15

It was some time since I was at School but doesnt  5 + 7 = 12

1 minute ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

What am I mising here !!!!

Portsmouth               On target shots 6   Off target shots 2       Total shots 8 

Derby                        On target shots 5   Off target shots 7       Total shots 15

It was some time since I was at School but doesnt  5 + 7 = 12

Blocked shots ? 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Disappointing result really. I think Warne got his set up spot on and we were absolutely flying from the start, but it's a bit of a worry how much we let our heads drop by one set back. Wildsmith made some excellent saves to keep it 0-1. I think we had enough to win it and secure our spot in the playoffs, it'll be a tough game next week but hopefully we'll just about have enough. 

I’m not sure it’s all about heads dropping , there’s a big chunk of frustration and extra pressure heaped on when we go one down in a game we need to win , we perhaps over try a bit and our passing went right off the boil and passes to players who havnt read the pass and moved for it , the effort and fight was there we just lost our way a bit when they scored , all in all a decent performance over the ninety, we are just a bit short this season, no shame in that given where we were before the start of the season

Felt like we were robbed of a grandstand finish with all the pompey players falling over one after another. Something really has to be done. Totally wrong that you can gain an advantage in a game of football by lolling on the floor. 31,000 people including the away fans don’t pay their money to watch the physio running back and forth.

I seemed at one point that even one the Portsmouth players went over to an ‘injured’ colleague and said something to suggest he was over milking it and to get up.

It was always going to happen once they went one up against the grain, changed the games narrative after and the silliness started straight away. Players and fans lost the wind in their sails. Getting two goals back when any momentum we got was instantly snuffed out was gonna be tough.

Really enjoyed Collin’s equaliser though🐏 cracking atmosphere at times, would’ve been Mega if we’d got a winning goal

11 minutes ago, Archied said:

I’m not sure it’s all about heads dropping , there’s a big chunk of frustration and extra pressure heaped on when we go one down in a game we need to win , we perhaps over try a bit and our passing went right off the boil and passes to players who havnt read the pass and moved for it , the effort and fight was there we just lost our way a bit when they scored , all in all a decent performance over the ninety, we are just a bit short this season, no shame in that given where we were before the start of the season

Whatever you want to call it, our performance dropped off majorly and we were hanging on for the rest of the first half. It is still of concern that we didn't have the grit to bounce back for the remainder of the half. I don't think it was about effort like you say, but we have enough experienced players in their that should be used to this kind of position. No shame in it, agreed. I think it would be a pleasant surprise if we do go up in the end, but there are clearly foundations in this team for a great team at this level. 

1 hour ago, Mikeyboy1963 said:

Just shows how utterly pointless and inaccurate these stats are. How can Pompey score a goal and force Wildsmith to make two outstanding saves and yet they only had 1 clear cut chance? 

15 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Whatever you want to call it, our performance dropped off majorly and we were hanging on for the rest of the first half. It is still of concern that we didn't have the grit to bounce back for the remainder of the half. I don't think it was about effort like you say, but we have enough experienced players in their that should be used to this kind of position. No shame in it, agreed. I think it would be a pleasant surprise if we do go up in the end, but there are clearly foundations in this team for a great team at this level. 

It’s all about taking your chances , Portsmouth are a similar level side to us and as such it would be surprising if they didn’t have spells in the game where they had the upper hand , agree there are some foundations in our squad but who knows how we will look at the start of next season with the restrictions we are operating under , let’s hope we can do a bit of magic ,,, I’ve seen some say warne can’t attract the kind of players we need but I reckon he can attract better players to derby than he could Rotherham, anyway it’s not over till the fat lady sings and we could all be debating the Wembley team sheet 🤞

44 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Their goal looked offside on the replay, but given that the same lino failed to give us a clear corner in the 2nd half when Davies challenged at the post on the lino's side, I'm not surprised he wasn't looking when it mattered. Probably doing selfies with the lower Guthrie.

I thought so when I saw the replay at half time…