Expiring contracts

Poynton ram

Am I right in thinking Davies, Fozzy, Stears, Didzy, Chester and Loach are all out of contract in June? I read somewhere that Hourihane’s contract is up but not sure about that one. Am guessing with the exception of Didzy and maybe Fozzy all will be released. Of the loan signings would like Dobbin for another season but wouldn’t be surprised if a championship club came in for him and not sure Dyche will do us any favours. Let’s hope we see some quality Wheeler dealing in the next few weeks

According to Radio Derby on their Sportscene Talk in on Tuesday, Knight (1 yr option)  Hourihane, McGoldrick, Chester, Forsyth, Davies, Stearman and Loach are all out of contract in the Summer. With Dobbins, Roberts, McGee, White and Springett returning to their parent clubs we will be left with around 9 first team players. 10 if Bielik returns.

This could be viewed as a major problem with the club almost having to rebuild from scratch again, or as an ideal time for Paul Warne to bring in players of his choice to build for a promotion challenge.

Whatever your view it's going to be another  interesting Summer window with plenty of transfer action to come.

5 minutes ago, The Jeff Bourne Legacy said:

According to Radio Derby on their Sportscene Talk in on Tuesday, Knight (1 yr option)  Hourihane, McGoldrick, Chester, Forsyth, Davies, Stearman and Loach are all out of contract in the Summer. With Dobbins, Roberts, McGee, White and Springett returning to their parent clubs we will be left with around 9 first team players. 10 if Bielik returns.

This could be viewed as a major problem with the club almost having to rebuild from scratch again, or as an ideal time for Paul Warne to bring in players of his choice to build for a promotion challenge.

Whatever your view it's going to be another  interesting Summer window with plenty of transfer action to come.

If Knight has an option I expect it's taken up by the club.  The other 2 will be offered a further year.   I expect McGoldrick to get a better one year offer money wise, based on his goals and assists, from lower to mid table Championship clubs as he will be a useful squad addition and they won't need to play him every week.  

34 minutes ago, The Jeff Bourne Legacy said:

Hourihane is 2 years, as per the club announcement when he joined.

I forgot about Bielik, but he'll be sold if we don't go up.

People keep saying this isn't Warne's squad, so at least he has a very good opportunity to shape it the way he wants

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Yep.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2022/07/hourihane-next-through-the-door-as-rams-land-international-midfielder

“Republic of Ireland international Conor Hourihane has become the latest player to join Derby County.

The central midfielder has penned a two-year contract with the Rams, running until the summer of 2024, after successfully completing a medical…”

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If Knight has an option I expect it's taken up by the club.  The other 2 will be offered a further year.   I expect McGoldrick to get a better one year offer money wise, based on his goals and assists, from lower to mid table Championship clubs as he will be a useful squad addition and they won't need to play him every week.  

The Knight extension would be taken up and if he shows no inclination to stay longer we would definitely accept any decent offer in the summer transfer window but that would depend on who he chose to play for. My gut feeling is that he would wait until his contract expired before he moved on.

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

People keep saying this isn't Warne's squad, so at least he has a very good opportunity to shape it the way he wants

Well, a very good opportunity subject to the restrictions we’ll still be under. LR did a great job putting together a decent team. The question is, will PW be able to do the same picking from players (of sufficient quality) available for free to shape a team the way he wants? I know it sounds like getting the excuses in early for next season but we mustn’t forget, PW will still have at least one hand tied behind his back.

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Really not sure about Bielik being sold, considering his wages and how much we still owe Arsenal.

The loan to Birmingham hasn’t really gone to plan: he went to the World Cup to essentially be called one of the worst performers at the tournament and then joined a side in another championship relegation battle. Take into account his injury history too. I feel his agent is going to have to pull a blinder to get him a move without a massive paycut, which makes me think we may have to pay him out to move.

36 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Really not sure about Bielik being sold, considering his wages and how much we still owe Arsenal.

The loan to Birmingham hasn’t really gone to plan: he went to the World Cup to essentially be called one of the worst performers at the tournament and then joined a side in another championship relegation battle. Take into account his injury history too. I feel his agent is going to have to pull a blinder to get him a move without a massive paycut, which makes me think we may have to pay him out to move.

Yeah I can see another loan, someone pays x amount of his wages and we pick up the rest as have no choice in it basically.

fitness less of a concern this summer as has almost 18 months playing time behind him now. But playing reputation has definitely suffered slightly. 

On 14/04/2023 at 22:48, The Jeff Bourne Legacy said:

I think its just going to be something we have to live with whilst we can only offer limited contracts in terms of both wages and duration. And unless we sell a load of players that allow us to spend some money we're also going to have to hope that the players Warne wants are free transfers or loans

On 14/04/2023 at 22:59, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I don’t think there will be any any lower to mid table championship clubs that can compete with us financially. The championship isn’t like the premiership in terms of the massive gulf in money between the prem and championship

Like Wanderers you have lots of players out of contract that you could either keep or replace. Of course it depends on which division you’re in as to who might come. If we’re both still in L1 then it should be easier to attract good players with the facilities we both have, although we can’t match the wages you can as at Bolton our budget is smaller. Competition in the Championship would be much harder, especially if transfer fees can’t be paid, so would it be better to miss out and build a better, more youthful squad for another push next year? There isn’t much point going up if you’re just going to come straight back down again as there is a pretty big gulf between L1 and the Championship. I think we’re slightly further ahead than you on that as we’ve been out of our restrictions this year so have brought in some youth which is starting to show but I’m still not sure we have enough to be competitive if we did make it up. Still a lot to do for both yet and tough away games tomorrow so it’s anybody’s guess for the remaining games. Can’t wish you luck obviously but I still think you’re better than Posh and will pip them to the play offs as theyve still got Ipswich and Barnsley yet!!

1 hour ago, Warren Blufitt said:

Like Wanderers you have lots of players out of contract that you could either keep or replace. Of course it depends on which division you’re in as to who might come. If we’re both still in L1 then it should be easier to attract good players with the facilities we both have, although we can’t match the wages you can as at Bolton our budget is smaller. Competition in the Championship would be much harder, especially if transfer fees can’t be paid, so would it be better to miss out and build a better, more youthful squad for another push next year? There isn’t much point going up if you’re just going to come straight back down again as there is a pretty big gulf between L1 and the Championship. I think we’re slightly further ahead than you on that as we’ve been out of our restrictions this year so have brought in some youth which is starting to show but I’m still not sure we have enough to be competitive if we did make it up. Still a lot to do for both yet and tough away games tomorrow so it’s anybody’s guess for the remaining games. Can’t wish you luck obviously but I still think you’re better than Posh and will pip them to the play offs as theyve still got Ipswich and Barnsley yet!!

I think I agree with you up to a point. I don't think the gulf is as great as you say. We were in the championship last season and would have comfortably survived but for the points deduction. I think it could be argued that we have a better squad this season, if not better then as good. But be that as it may I tend to agree that it won't hurt for us to stay down another season and build. Also to do so while the final year of the business plan restrictions we are under expire so that if we are promoted at the end of next season we will be able to pay fees and compete properly