Free agents in the summer

B4ev6is

20 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

No. There’s been no official announcement from the club or the EFL so until that happens I would expect a reasonable amount of speculation and guesswork. Some may be in the know, it’s still best to wait on the official word I reckon. 

Aaahhh...the very lifeblood of this forum.

Well that and hurling insults........

.......oh, and puns 😛🤣

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

Any of these worth considering ...

Harry Arter, Seamus Coleman, Lyle Taylor, Phil Jones

While there are going to be many players on a free transfer this summer giving us a good pool from which to strengthen (without considering a relaxation of restrictions where we can spend fees), I feel the ones we sign are unlikely to be older cast offs from premier league clubs. Main reasons being their probable wage demands and age profile not matching what Warne has expressed we need within the squad. 
I think it’ll be a mix of players from the championship, leagues one and two and perhaps the odd surprise maybe from a premier league academy where they’ve not quite made the cut but would be good for us at relatively low wage cost. 

Some clubs already announcing their retained lists. https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2023/may/club-news--retained-list-announced/
Cole Stockton is an example of the kind of player I can see us competing for, 29 years old, played and scored goals at this level for a couple of years now and would likely be on wages we can afford or better coming from another league one club.

I’ve just been looking at some of the out of contract players and found some potential targets

LWB:

. Luke leahy (had a decent season in L1)

. Archie Brown (I thought he had potential when he was in our academy)

. Jack Sparkes (As I have family from Exeter I have seen quite a bit of the team and he has always been a standout in the team. He fits Warne’s system fantastically, and with him being available on a free I think it is well worth the risk)

RWB:

. Josh Key (another player I’ve seen develop at Exeter, I honestly think he could transform derby alongside sparkes. He’s very dangerous going forward and would have a bigger impact on the team than Byrne had in recent seasons imo)

. Sam Byram ( I’m not sure whether the club could afford his wages under the restrictions, but could he be attracted to the club like others were last summer?)

DM:

. Cameron Brannigan (could the Oxford connection with the recruitment staff make him a target)

. Archie Collins ( another Exeter player but he has a lot of potential and at 23 he could be a player at the club for a while. I’ve been impressed with how he can win the ball and drive the team forward. He’s a different style to bird and hourihane so could work well. If I had to compare him to someone it would be Jason knight, so could warne allow them to play with more intensity then swap them during the second half)

ST:

Niall Ennis (I thought he looked dangerous when I’ve seen him play and scored goals this season, but I doubt Plymouth would let him go)

6 minutes ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

I’ve just been looking at some of the out of contract players and found some potential targets

LWB:

. Jack Sparkes (As I have family from Exeter I have seen quite a bit of the team and he has always been a standout in the team. He fits Warne’s system fantastically, and with him being available on a free I think it is well worth the risk)

RWB:

. Josh Key (another player I’ve seen develop at Exeter, I honestly think he could transform derby alongside sparkes. He’s very dangerous going forward and would have a bigger impact on the team than Byrne had in recent seasons imo)

. Sam Byram ( I’m not sure whether the club could afford his wages under the restrictions, but could he be attracted to the club like others were last summer?)

DM:

. Cameron Brannigan (could the Oxford connection with the recruitment staff make him a target)

. Archie Collins ( another Exeter player but he has a lot of potential and at 23 he could be a player at the club for a while. I’ve been impressed with how he can win the ball and drive the team forward. He’s a different style to bird and hourihane so could work well. If I had to compare him to someone it would be Jason knight, so could warne allow them to play with more intensity then swap them during the second half)

ST:

Niall Ennis (I thought he looked dangerous when I’ve seen him play and scored goals this season, but I doubt Plymouth would let him go)

Perhaps we could become Exeter County 😁

16 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Some clubs already announcing their retained lists. https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2023/may/club-news--retained-list-announced/
Cole Stockton is an example of the kind of player I can see us competing for, 29 years old, played and scored goals at this level for a couple of years now and would likely be on wages we can afford or better coming from another league one club.

Have you seen Stockton play? Clumsy player who’s probably peaked at a lower league 1 club. Much rather we go for the young Northern Irish lad we’re linked with. 

5 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Have you seen Stockton play? Clumsy player who’s probably peaked at a lower league 1 club. Much rather we go for the young Northern Irish lad we’re linked with. 

I wasn’t necessarily saying we should go for him, more that he’s the profile of player I can see us signing to fill some of the gaps in the squad, younger than what we’ve got (marginally in this example), experience of this level, and some evidence of capability given he can score goals.
If we can spend money on fees then signing a talented young striker like the lad from NI would be great, just don’t think adding some capable enough bodies where we’ve been lacking would be bad either. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

57 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Clumsy or not he does score goals at this level, the big thing we've missed this season is multiple options up top..  any true promotion needs at least 4 centre forwards competing for 2 starting spots, McGoldrick + Collins + Stockton + Bonis would be a vast improvement on what we've had with this season.

1 hour ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

LWB:

RWB:

DM:

ST:

Brannigan is a great shout

7 minutes ago, Topram said:

Brannigan is a great shout

As I've posted on here before, unfortunately he signed a new contract with Oxford last summer, transfermarkt is wrong to list him as out of contract. He'd likely cost £1m+ so is out of our price range.