England - Euro 2024 qualifiers

littleover ram

19 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Hughes and Winks aren't close to that level.

I actually back Ward Prowse to be near and tidy in tight spaces, nothing special. Trent has the technical ability to do it.

Yeah, exactly, they’re not close to that level and yet, in my opinion, they’re the best we have of that mould!

Ward-Prowse might help in not giving the ball away and helping screen with Rice, but isn’t that what Phillips and Henderson do anyway? 

We just don’t have the player we need.

Trent may well work but we can’t say for certain. It’s not just about technical ability. It’s the positions you’ll find yourself in. Looking over your shoulder, receiving the ball on the turn, on your left-foot, knowing when to make yourself a wall to bounce off, passing across your body instead of inside all the time. 

I’m not saying he can’t do it, I’m saying none of us know until he plays there every week.

Just now, sage said:

I see Maguire has been awful again. Absolute disgrace that Southgate picks him. Costs us points every game.

Guehi and Dunk have been faultless for England, Tomori too. Maguire has been fine tonight but his last game for England against Scotland cost us a goal. He shouldn't be starting. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Maguire has been fine tonight but his last game for England against Scotland cost us a goal. He shouldn't be starting. 

100%,

Players should be picked on form.

I had a chuckle the other day, I read that Jadon Sancho would be looking for a January transfer in order to 'get first team football and give him a chance of getting in the England squad' next summer.

He has only got to look across the training ground to see Harry Maguire who gets in the England team despite barely playing a game 🤣

I'm not a fan of Gareth, he's done a good job but I firmly believe a lot of other managers would have done too given the players at their disposal, over the past 2 years the pool of England players has grown in depth, all over the pitch, lots of those players will develop and get even better.

The next 5 years should be very exciting for us England fans but with Gareth's constant picking of the out of form Maguire while ignoring the inform Raheem Sterling makes me doubt that someone who isn't choosing players on form and clearly can't manage something in Raheem Sterling's personality has the know-how to guide us to glory.

The choice of penalty takers for the Euro Final against Italy shows he wasn't aware of how the youngsters would cope with the nerves etc but of course Gareth wouldn't know that as he didn't regularly compete for or win major trophies as a player or as a manager.

To kick on we need a manager with a bit of personality and charisma, not a media darling and to be honest I can't think of a single English manager out there who has those personality traits let alone experience of competing for big trophies.

26 minutes ago, Ken said:

100%,

I had a chuckle the other day, I read that Jadon Sancho would be looking for a January transfer in order to 'get first team football and give him a chance of getting in the England squad' next summer.

He has only got to look across the training ground to see Harry Maguire who gets in the England team despite barely playing a game 🤣

I'm not a fan of Gareth, he's done a good job but I firmly believe a lot of other managers would have done too given the players at their disposal, over the past 2 years the pool of England players has grown in depth, all over the pitch, lots of those players will develop and get even better.

The next 5 years should be very exciting for us England fans but with Gareth's constant picking of the out of form Maguire while ignoring the inform Raheem Sterling makes me doubt that someone who isn't choosing players on form and clearly can't manage something in Raheem Sterling's personality has the know-how to guide us to glory.

The choice of penalty takers for the Euro Final against Italy shows he wasn't aware of how the youngsters would cope with the nerves etc but of course Gareth wouldn't know that as he didn't regularly compete for or win major trophies as a player or as a manager.

To kick on we need a manager with a bit of personality and charisma, not a media darling and to be honest I can't think of a single English manager out there who has those personality traits let alone experience of competing for big trophies.

I'd try and offer De Zerbi mega bucks and say he can manage a club side at the same time ,don't think he'd accept the job though.  Would maybe go for a foreign manager as most of ours are s****, Cooper might not be a bad shout isn't he Welsh ? Maybe see whatever elite manager is available that can speak decent English and play suitable football.  There is no English managers of quality,  Rowett would be a top 6 or 7 candidate if we were looking for English managers with experience 😂.

46 minutes ago, Ken said:

100%,

This is the most compelling argument for Sven I’ve ever seen