Warm-up music

Anag Ram

Maybe for the 2024-25 season we could design the home kit to pay homage to the champions on the 50th anniversary.

We might have to suspend SBW as we temporarily guide on our heroes in navy and white...

and then perhaps forget to bring it back the following season.

1 hour ago, Bessie1 said:

Errr….  I like the music.  

And the timing of SBW seems to have been fixed.

It hadn't been on Saturday. The section we play has a constant accelerando (gradually speeding up), but we've removed the first half, so the first 4 beats are a lot slower than when it jumps forward to halfway through the chorus... (not entirely sure why it needed shortening anyway)

They need to go back to the longer length version as if something is gradually increasing in tempo, you can't take sections out without the rest just sounding 'off'.

15 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

It hadn't been on Saturday. The section we play has a constant accelerando (gradually speeding up), but we've removed the first half, so the first 4 beats are a lot slower than when it jumps forward to halfway through the chorus... (not entirely sure why it needed shortening anyway)

They need to go back to the longer length version as if something is gradually increasing in tempo, you can't take sections out without the rest just sounding 'off'.

It's actually even worse than that - there are 2 versions that are currently used, one with 2 repetitions and one with 3, both of which are cut down and assembled from a much longer version (so both have jump-cuts in).  I think they pick one depending on how close to kick-off we are, so it will fit in before the whistle.  But because they want the big ending after the 3rd cycle, they skip the first cycle if they want a shorter version.  And because each repetition gets faster, you don't actually know what tempo it's going to change to when it does the horrible mis-timed jump-cut at the start.  So that's why it seems to be a different tempo each week.  

It also means that the majority of the crowd don't know whether the end of the 2nd cycle is the last one with the finale on, or they've got another go round before they do that.  So if they do the 3 version, you often get a half hearted finale after 2 as well.  The whole thing is just dreadfully done.  I certainly think the editing was done by someone that doesn't have a musical ear.

Edited by duncanjwitham

3 hours ago, Skin em Ted said:

Maybe for the 2024-25 season we could design the home kit to pay homage to the champions on the 50th anniversary.

We might have to suspend SBW as we temporarily guide on our heroes in navy and white...

and then perhaps forget to bring it back the following season.

Hello, hello, how do you do, we are the boys in white and blue, we love to sing, we love to fight, we hate the boys in red and white, we'll sing a song of victory, we'll sing a song in harmony, ask forest fans did they ever see, 3 great hattricks from our Didzy

20 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

It's actually even worse than that - there are 2 versions that are currently used, one with 2 repetitions and one with 3, both of which are cut down and assembled from a much longer version (so both have jump-cuts in).  I think they pick one depending on how close to kick-off we are, so it will fit in before the whistle.  But because they want the big ending after the 3rd cycle, they skip the first cycle if they want a shorter version.  And because each repetition gets faster, you don't actually know what tempo it's going to change to when it does the horrible mis-timed jump-cut at the start.  So that's why it seems to be a different tempo each week.  

It also means that the majority of the crowd don't know whether the end of the 2nd cycle is the last one with the finale on, or they've got another go round before they do that.  So if they do the 3 version, you often get a half hearted finale after 2 as well.  The whole thing is just dreadfully done.  I certainly think the editing was done by someone that doesn't have a musical ear.

I'd be up for playing the full thing as I actually like the verses, but really just leave enough time prior to kick off and play the full chorus section and let the fans join in.

I wouldn't have any music prior to SBW, the audio is so loud currently it's hard to have a conversation with the person stood directly next to you. Given part of the charm of going to games is the social aspect, blaring music at the volumes we currently are seems detrimental to the overall atmosphere. The longer version of SBW would then allow fans to join in and build the atmosphere right before kick-off; rather than an ill-timed 30 second blast after some badly spliced-together pop songs...

It's a bit of a 'marmite' issue I guess. Some folk love SBW but personally I find it a bit cringey/cheesy and have never really joined in - all feels a bit old-school 'Chas and Dave' to me. Each to their own I suppose. I usually walk in just as we're about to kick off anyway so quite often miss some or all of it which is fine by me.

In truth I'd be just as happy to have no music but of all the music we've used, I consider 'Clubbed to Death' the most acceptable.

As I've said before, SBW is dirge-like not energising and is twee in both lyric and melody. I find it cringe inducing. As is We Are Derby, which is far too long and uses the 'urban' style of poetry delivery that has become such a cliche. We need some rituals at our church, but these are not serving us well.

Having some music before kick off does help the atmosphere, but it also inhibits it. For instance, at the shrews match, since it played right up to kick off, it drowned out the considerable noise that was being generated between the south stand and the away fans, which I'd much rather listen to.

I think that it will be impossible to please everyone musically considering the age range of those that are in the ground.  I like the poem, for example, but I know others don't; the music before and at half time is mostly (not always) not what I listen to and tends to be just loud background noise.

I'm not sure that anyone at the club has sat down for a while and asked themselves 'what are we trying to do/what's the point? Or why?'.  SBW and the poem have been added in over the last few years fairly randomly; we haven't tried 'nothing/silence' for many years

For example, are they trying to build an atmosphere, encourage people to start singing/joining in? Are they trying to create familiarity leading up to the players coming out - a repeatable process leading up to a crescendo of noise (as boxers do for their ring walks) that says 'we are at home/we are Derby/here's the event'? Are they doing it for the club, for us or the players or all, or none? Are they trying to drown out opposition fans? Are they trying to maintain or create a 'tradition' or are they perhaps frightened to alter anything now for fear of being criticised for moving away from the familiar?

Presuming that the club has people in place with the skills to create some alternatives (which might not be the case) and they think it's actually an important thing to do (which might not be the case), if they asked themselves the questions and gave it some thought they might end up with a different build up, or something very similar.  There might also be financial limitations with royalties.