East Stand

OoooMarkWright

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

"Theoretically", I could happily go along with that (not that it' matters what I think!), but being a pedant, I'd be curious as to the specific number of rows, when referring to "The back rows".  It goes without saying there's a massive difference between say, 2/3 rows and 10/12 rows.

I mean the back rows as the very last row at the back of each individual stand, rather than a number of rows in each individual stand.

1 minute ago, B4ev6is said:

When did that come out mate.

June 16th 1978.

The queue went from Albion Street, in Derby City centre, to just past where Burton Albion play now... then looped back Willington, across the flooded fields.  (It had just rained for 23 consecutive day.  The first rains since February 1976... drought year!)
They had to close the whole of the A38.  Made our march over the flyover look like a 3 year old's tea party... with no invited guests!

43 hours I was stood in that queue... and it was worth every minute, just to get a big screen view of Oh Sandy, in those spray on pvc slacks!

9 showings per day, for a full 14 months.  7 days per week, including Christmas, Lent, and summer solstice.  The cinema staff were dropping like flies, due to 27 hour shifts... and they ran out of batteries for their torches, as this mayhem soon caused a nationwide battery shortage.  (?)
We weren't just stood in the aisles.  We were dancing.  7 abreast! 
Which reminds me... I even witnessed some heavy petting on the back rows, and as we all know, that wasn't even allowed at Queen St Baths!  (Everything else was, just not heavy petting!)

... But try telling that to the kids of today.  Yer just can't learn 'em!  

Oh yeah... Thanks for asking.  ?

I think you could probably have drawn a rough diagonal line through the crowd in block J (East Upper) dividing those seating and standing yesterday.

Typically the further back in the stand and closer to the away fans someone is, the more time they'll spend standing. Those closer to the stairs and lower down will generally be sat down. 

My experience of standing/sitting yesterday - I'm midway up that block and a few seats in - was that pretty much everyone in front of me and most on the 5-6 rows behind me were sat.

That is except for 2 blokes a couple of rows in front on the end of the row who were stood up all game, didn't once look behind them to check whether people behind them were sat or stood, didn't make any noise, didn't even clap and spent a fair amount of time checking their phones.

...which meant that the two people behind them had to stand all game, which meant that I had to 'perch' most of the game and constantly gaze through gaps to see the action, which meant I was also constantly having to check behind me to make sure I wasn't blocking the view of anyone behind me.

Despite the long post I'm not overly bothered really, wasn't going to kick up a fuss and they're not regulars so unlikely to be an annoyance again BUT a situation like that is surely one the stewards could and should very easily be able to identify and act upon.

For all their recent presence and ticket checks they never actually seem to do the small things.

2 hours ago, sage said:

I'm afraid that wouldn't work as the nearest people in the next block wouldn't be able to see past the standers 

really? My spatial awareness is absolutely terrible, so I'm likely to be wrong here. My gut would be in the bottom half of the stand that's not true, but perhaps for the top half, there could be an issue with a section of the pitch if there is insufficient room between blocks? 

If that is the case for any block then the club should stamp it out or extend the south stand to the south-east corner and nudge the away fans along and put some segregation in. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

6 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

really? My spatial awareness is absolutely terrible but I'm struggling to work out how that would be the case. 

Mine isn't terrible and I'm not struggling to work it out.

If the ball was near the corner flag in front of the away fans, lots of people wouldn't be able to see in the adjacent block.

1 minute ago, sage said:

Mine isn't terrible and I'm not struggling to work it out.

If the ball was near the corner flag in front of the away fans, lots of people wouldn't be able to see in the adjacent block.

Isn't the stand tucked in enough so you could see all areas of the pitch? Like I said my spatial awareness is genuinely shocking but I thought the fact that Pride Park is not 'tight' means that you'd avoid that kind of issue. 

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

June 16th 1978.

The queue went from Albion Street, in Derby City centre, to just past where Burton Albion play now... then looped back Willington, across the flooded fields.  (It had just rained for 23 consecutive day.  The first rains since February 1976... drought year!)
They had to close the whole of the A38.  Made our march over the flyover look like a 3 year old's tea party... with no invited guests!

43 hours I was stood in that queue... and it was worth every minute, just to get a big screen view of Oh Sandy, in those spray on pvc slacks!

9 showings per day, for a full 14 months.  7 days per week, including Christmas, Lent, and summer solstice.  The cinema staff were dropping like flies, due to 27 hour shifts... and they ran out of batteries for their torches, as this mayhem soon caused a nationwide battery shortage.  (?)
Which reminds me... I even witnessed some heavy petting on the back rows, and as we all know, that wasn't even allowed at Queen St Baths!  (Everything else was, just not heavy petting!)

Ah Grease. I managed to pursued the new girl in class to come out with me to see Grease. Quite a coup. Unfortunately when we arrived there were no tickets left so my potential for any HP was severely curtailed! Not being well versed in the art of dating and lacking in cash we got some chips and retreated to my house where a pleasant evening was spent with my mum and dad. Needless to say there was no second date! Oh to be 15 again! This was not in Derby but a small town in Essex. I never did get to see it on the big screen.

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

June 16th 1978.

I was not even born then.

2 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

I think you could probably have drawn a rough diagonal line through the crowd in block J (East Upper) dividing those seating and standing yesterday.

Typically the further back in the stand and closer to the away fans someone is, the more time they'll spend standing. Those closer to the stairs and lower down will generally be sat down. 

My experience of standing/sitting yesterday - I'm midway up that block and a few seats in - was that pretty much everyone in front of me and most on the 5-6 rows behind me were sat.

That is except for 2 blokes a couple of rows in front on the end of the row who were stood up all game, didn't once look behind them to check whether people behind them were sat or stood, didn't make any noise, didn't even clap and spent a fair amount of time checking their phones.

...which meant that the two people behind them had to stand all game, which meant that I had to 'perch' most of the game and constantly gaze through gaps to see the action, which meant I was also constantly having to check behind me to make sure I wasn't blocking the view of anyone behind me.

Despite the long post I'm not overly bothered really, wasn't going to kick up a fuss and they're not regulars so unlikely to be an annoyance again BUT a situation like that is surely one the stewards could and should very easily be able to identify and act upon.

For all their recent presence and ticket checks they never actually seem to do the small things.

I think unless some goes gets them not going to brother and not get all abuse it would cause through but I can see why some get upset at home games.

Like I said to someone else further up east stand you go more people sit down.

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

You don't think I've been trying to convert him for the past 17 years?  Do you not realise how much it pains me that my sole grandson is just not interested in Derby County?

Trust me mate, I've done my best... and failed!  I know when to give up, which was just before it comes to out and out bullying and child abuse!

Not everybody loves football.  And not everybody loves derby County!  

Any granddaughters to indoctrinate instead? 

46 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Isn't the stand tucked in enough so you could see all areas of the pitch? Like I said my spatial awareness is genuinely shocking but I thought the fact that Pride Park is not 'tight' means that you'd avoid that kind of issue. 

If the block to your left is standing and you are sat on the end your row you are 4 feet from standing fans.

It seems straightforward to see how that would restruct views.

13 hours ago, therams69 said:

In my personal option this would first be the South Stand. Then probably the upper tier of the current away end so away fans have the choice of sitting or stanading.

Then perhaps two upper tier blocks of the East Stand. I dont think anymore would be needed.

I’d imagine this would be the most likely course of action in the event of standing areas being given the green light. 

My point is - given that (an ever increasing) demand for standing room already outweighs the capacity of the south stand, any conversion to safe standing limited to the south stand/away end would be insufficient. Many grounds in Germany at our level offer around 50% standing room (at a rough estimate) and I suspect demand would be similar over here, hence why extending it further into the east stand would be a good idea for the long term.

I appreciate many people would prefer to stand at the football (myself included) but also appreciate those who want to sit in their designated seat mustn’t be made to suffer at that expense. 

Until safe standing areas are properly legislated for, I can’t see this issue being resolved easily.

Edited by Vimto Enjoyer

6 hours ago, CBRammette said:

One is not interested, and never has been.  Very much a girly girl.
One isn't even aware that football exists due to severe disabilities.  And one sadly didn't live long enough to be aware of daylight, let alone DCFC.
There was a hint of hope with the eldest at one stage, and a couple of matches were attended in her very early teens, but the habit didn't quite materialise, and the moment has passed.  She's now away at Uni, playing women's rugby in her spare time! 
It's like I'm jinxed! ?

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

One is not interested, and never has been.  Very much a girly girl.
One isn't even aware that football exists due to severe disabilities.  And one sadly didn't live long enough to be aware of daylight, let alone DCFC.
There was a hint of hope with the eldest at one stage, and a couple of matches were attended in her very early teens, but the habit didn't quite materialise, and the moment has passed.  She's now away at Uni, playing women's rugby in her spare time! 
It's like I'm jinxed! ?

Ah that is sad. 

10 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

June 16th 1978.

Tell me more, tell me more….

9 hours ago, Vimto Enjoyer said:

I’d imagine this would be the most likely course of action in the event of standing areas being given the green light. 

My point is - given that (an ever increasing) demand for standing room already outweighs the capacity of the south stand, any conversion to safe standing limited to the south stand/away end would be insufficient. Many grounds in Germany at our level offer around 50% standing room (at a rough estimate) and I suspect demand would be similar over here, hence why extending it further into the east stand would be a good idea for the long term.

I appreciate many people would prefer to stand at the football (myself included) but also appreciate those who want to sit in their designated seat mustn’t be made to suffer at that expense. 

Until safe standing areas are properly legislated for, I can’t see this issue being resolved easily.

Agree and why I have been banging on about Safe Standing for over 10 years since I first brought the roadshow to the Portland Pub in Alvaston and also for Derby County officials. 

We have to think about the costs involved and where we are as a club. Safe Standing is permitted, that is no problem, just more the logistics for a club in our situation..

11 hours ago, CBRammette said:

I’m amazed that my 4 granddaughters are still interested . The oldest doesn’t gobut she’s still interested ( has 2 small children and a Leicester supporting husband!) The next one down has health problems but wants to come whenever we go. The next one is in university but comes to games if she’s home. I thought the youngest, 14, would lose interest when the older ones didn’t come but when I suggested this she looked at me as if I were mad!

Mind you, their dad loves dcfc as much as I do, though work prevents him going as much as he’d like but now I can’t go on my own, he tries to get me to 7/8 games a season and my partner’s son , who I converted to a Ram, takes me occasionally as well, so I’m very lucky!

When all 4 used to come, I’d look along the row and remember our next door neighbour telling my dad it was a waste of time and money taking a girl to a football match!!