The return of Fawlty Towers

Ramifications

38 minutes ago, sage said:

Glad you're meh about it

I think sitcoms may have run their course, nothing to do with woke etc per se. For the last 20 years panel shows have been the funniest things on tv, now they are waning and for 10 years before that sketch shows. All change i suppose.  

IMO the best sitcom of the last 10 years is The Dectorists. Not laugh out loud funny, but good tv nonetheless. The last i enjoyed before that were The Royle Family and Early Doors. I think good writing is good writing regardless of social climate of the day but good writers don't see sitcoms as the future I'm afraid. 

Had to Google that, as never heard of it.  Not a dig, as once Google showed me it was a typo, I'd still never heard of it!

Must admit, I've seen a few (positive) references to Early Doors on here recently.  I assumed it was new(ish) but have since found out it started in '03.  Twenty years of not even being aware of it!  ?
I literally watched the first episode (S1) about a fortnight ago.  Didn't LOL, and left it feeling "undecided".  Certainly wasn't in The Royle Family mould, but maybe there was enough to make me think I ought to push on, and give a few more episodes a go?  I may well do, sometime soon.  ?

And again... panel shows... All these rave reviews.  I think the last one I recall watching on an almost regular basis was HIGNFY probably 15 years ago or more!  When I catch snippets of these more modern ones on youtube etc, I can see why they'd be popular, and yes, they do make me laugh... but I just never get around to "getting into them", not even on a "flit in and out" basis. 

My problem is being arsed (with telly, as a whole).  Muckerette has all on to get me to sit up and take notice.  We've just had a couple of weeks on a full on onslaught of Happy Valley (All 3 series).  I think I'm all TV'd out now for a few months!  For instance, she's literally just about to start watching Litvinenko.  She held back, waiting for me (Pot-washing duties! ?), in case I wanted to give it a go... But again, I don't think I can be arsed!   I think it may be something to do with my attention span!   ?

Generally speaking, I find this place more entertaining than tv, of an evening!  God help me!  ?

?

2 hours ago, The Last Post said:

Dads Army was resurrected with the lost tapes...piss poor in my opinion, Still Open all Hours a spin off from it's former...never watched one full episode, Porridge was brought back from the grave...never watched one full episode...all 3 were true Classics...my advice to Cleese...leave well alone.

And what about Ant and Dec’s try at the Likely Lads ?

47 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

My problem is being arsed (with telly, as a whole).  Muckerette has all on to get me to sit up and take notice.  We've just had a couple of weeks on a full on onslaught of Happy Valley (All 3 series).  I think I'm all TV'd out now for a few months!  For instance, she's literally just about to start watching Litvinenko.  She held back, waiting for me (Pot-washing duties! ?), in case I wanted to give it a go... But again, I don't think I can be arsed!   I think it may be something to do with my attention span!   ?

Change of plan...

Just finished the first episode.

Not laughed once, but we're going in... straight to E2.  ??

49 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Had to Google that, as never heard of it.  Not a dig, as once Google showed me it was a typo, I'd still never heard of it!

Must admit, I've seen a few (positive) references to Early Doors on here recently.  I assumed it was new(ish) but have since found out it started in '03.  Twenty years of not even being aware of it!  ?
I literally watched the first episode (S1) about a fortnight ago.  Didn't LOL, and left it feeling "undecided".  Certainly wasn't in The Royle Family mould, but maybe there was enough to make me think I ought to push on, and give a few more episodes a go?  I may well do, sometime soon.  ?

And again... panel shows... All these rave reviews.  I think the last one I recall watching on an almost regular basis was HIGNFY probably 15 years ago or more!  When I catch snippets of these more modern ones on youtube etc, I can see why they'd be popular, and yes, they do make me laugh... but I just never get around to "getting into them", not even on a "flit in and out" basis. 

Generally speaking, I find this place more entertaining than tv, of an evening!  God help me!  ?

?

First Early Doors was a slow burner but definitely worth giving it more time…one of my favourite series ever….

I think the passage of time is cruellist to comedians who quite quickly cease being funny. If you watch episodes of cult shows such as The Young Ones or Not the Nine O'Clock News nowadays, they're largely dire. Very tough to make this work now. I suspect Cleese is doing it to give his daughter a break into TV land.

However, if this is a meta-style show, about Cleese trying to remake Fawlty Towers with his daughter, but struggling because of opposition from the wokists. And showing the absurdity of that. It has a slight chance.

I think we  all over think it, If its good folk will watch it, if its bad then they'll soon switch off.

Cleese obviously doesn't need the money so its probably a vanity project.

@Carl Sagan,s point about Cleese giving his daughter a break into TV land, mostly they don't need it, Celebs families tend to get a chance anyway when you look at the so called acting dynasties. 

Its amazing how many famous families are related to each other from royalty to politicians to actors.

26 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I think we  all over think it, If its good folk will watch it, if its bad then they'll soon switch off.

Cleese obviously doesn't need the money so its probably a vanity project.

@Carl Sagan,s point about Cleese giving his daughter a break into TV land, mostly they don't need it, Celebs families tend to get a chance anyway when you look at the so called acting dynasties. 

Its amazing how many famous families are related to each other from royalty to politicians to actors.

Don't know about that.  Don't think his relationship failures have been cheap.

Controversial opinion - but I never liked the original series that much anyway.

Even more controversial, I actually laugh more at Steptoe and Son (cleverer), On The Buses (more cringe and unintentionally? naff), and Some Mothers Do Ave Em (I find his character more endearing and less irritating).

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Don't know about that.  Don't think his relationship failures have been cheap.

A quick google search shows his net worth estimated at anything between $8m to $20m with one saying its $200m+ due to property.

So I guess no one really knows tbf.

I'm assuming he's not quite at the food bank stage yet!

12 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

However, if this is a meta-style show, about Cleese trying to remake Fawlty Towers with his daughter, but struggling because of opposition from the wokists. And showing the absurdity of that. It has a slight chance

I was thinking the same - if he goes for a Curb Your Enthusiasm vibe where he's still the butt of the jokes but he believes that he's right and doesn't understand the world around him any more

14 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

And what about Ant and Dec’s try at the Likely Lads ?

I wont/don't watch those 2, Don't find them funny or entertaining...some of our TV programs are sinking lower than the Titanic...imo.

For your quote Jimbo...I never knew they were doing the Likely Lads...Maybe When the Boat Comes In will be their next project, Or a spin off of Auf Wiedersehen Pet

4 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Even more controversial, I actually laugh more at Steptoe and Son (cleverer), On The Buses (more cringe and unintentionally? naff), and Some Mothers Do Ave Em (I find his character more endearing and less irritating).

What about Love thy Neighbour?...?

5 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I agree. It was OK but not what I’d consider a classic. Perhaps it’s one of those that seem to improve with nostalgia and our memory lets us down. Or, perhaps we think it’s a classic because some people say it was. A bit like Monty Python (IMO). Very good at times but often  overrated (except the Films of course which are excellent).