The return of Fawlty Towers

Ramifications

I wouldn't expect any classic comedy, coming back after 45 years to be any cop

I expect it even less after hearing Cleese being such a reactionary old grump about so-called "cancel culture" these past few years

I suppose it all comes down to whether his primary incentive is to make people laugh, or if it's to annoy the "wokies" and be controversial

I hope it's the former

6 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I expect it even less after hearing Cleese being such a reactionary old grump about so-called "cancel culture" these past few years

I suppose it all comes down to whether his primary incentive is to make people laugh, or if it's to annoy the "wokies" and be controversial

I hope it's the former

Quite hopeful he might manage both....

Edited by Gaspode

1 hour ago, sage said:

The whole concept is how he copes with the modern world. 

But he won't be allowed to show it, or even speak about it, in front of the dozens and dozens of viewers, who will no doubt make up the modern world TV audience.

No violent tempers, and certainly no whacking the heads of European waiters who don't even understand English.
No ripping off healthy tree branches to give his clapped out car a good thrashing.
No bumbling conversations about wars, and invasions of Poland, with stereo-typical non-humerous Germans... and most certainly no goosestepping across the foyer, whilst using the index finger as a faux moustache!
No rip-off Paddy builders.
No "accidental" groping of a womans breast, whilst blindly searching for a light switch.
No reference to a hunted (and now severed) head of a moose... or any other hints at what would now be seen as animal cruelty.

The list is so endless, it will leave for nothing approaching the quality of the originals, which let's face it, were utterly brilliant... but not timeless!

I'm with @David, and others that think this would best be left alone, to be (rightly) remembered as an all-time classic.

14 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

But he won't be allowed to show it, or even speak about it, in front of the dozens and dozens of viewers, who will no doubt make up the modern world TV audience.

No violent tempers, and certainly no whacking the heads of European waiters who don't even understand English.
No ripping off healthy tree branches to give his clapped out car a good thrashing.
No bumbling conversations about wars, and invasions of Poland, with stereo-typical non-humerous Germans... and most certainly no goosestepping across the foyer, whilst using the index finger as a faux moustache!
No rip-off Paddy builders.
No "accidental" groping of a womans breast, whilst blindly searching for a light switch.
No reference to a hunted (and now severed) head of a moose... or any other hints at what would now be seen as animal cruelty.

The list is so endless, it will leave for nothing approaching the quality of the originals, which let's face it, were utterly brilliant... but not timeless!

I'm with @David, and others that think this would best be left alone, to be (rightly) remembered as an all-time classic.

It's not a remake. It's new programme based on a character from nearly 50 years ago.

Will it be as good as Fawlty Towers? Very unlikely, but it's an interesting concept and something very pertinent as your post suggests. You seem upset that the probable lack of goosestepping and groping. Many people think 'woke' has killed comedy, this show could be very clever in terms of how it approaches social change, A little like In Sickness and in Health.

I am amused by the anger at cancel culture leading to calls for a potentially politically correct comedy to be cancelled.   

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

I hope it's the former

John Cleese should use your post as a joke in his show, made me laugh. ?

Edited by cstand

Dads Army was resurrected with the lost tapes...piss poor in my opinion, Still Open all Hours a spin off from it's former...never watched one full episode, Porridge was brought back from the grave...never watched one full episode...all 3 were true Classics...my advice to Cleese...leave well alone.

2 minutes ago, sage said:

It's not a remake. It's new programme based on a character from nearly 50 years ago.

Will it be as good as Fawlty Towers? Very unlikely, but it's an interesting concept and something very pertinent as your post suggests. You seem upset that the probable lack of goosestepping and groping. Many people think 'woke' has killed comedy, this show could be very clever in terms of how it approaches social change, A little like In Sickness and in Health.

I am amused by the anger at cancel culture leading to calls for a potentially politically correct comedy to be cancelled.   

Not sure where your reference to both upset and anger has come from?  Certainly doesn't relate to my thoughts and opinions.  Mine are more "Meh" and "Whatever", so apologies for my poor writing skills, which appear to suggest otherwise.

I'm aware the plan is "to bring it up to date", and not a re-make.  My bullet points were no more than mere examples of what most/many would rate as the standout laugh out loud moments of the time... none of which would be allowed today, rightly or wrongly.  

Whilst I wouldn't entirely agree with those that opine that "Woke has killed comedy", I do think it has very much limited the boundaries.  I certainly don't envy today's comedians/comedy writers.  Their jobs were never easy, but are nigh on impossible nowadays, in my opinion.
I literally don't recall any tv sitcom from the last decade... actually, make that two...  that I would consider funny.  Entertaining?  I'm sure there must have been?  Enjoyable?  Maybe so.  But not laugh out loud funny.  I do concede I watch very little tv nowadays, so in fairness, I may simply just have missed something?  

For the record, this is not a rant (Despite appearances).  I am neither upset nor angry... about this topic, or anything else at the moment, I'm pleased to say. 
Without wishing to blow my own trumpet, I like to think I manage my emotions extremely well, to generally stay well clear of such negative vibes.  Why, I could even be accused of being heartless, and not caring enough, as I am very adept at shrugging my shoulders, and letting the world revolve around me.  (Scrap the word "could"... I do get so accused... often!)
I slept soundly last night, despite the clear and obvious disrespect shown towards Sheffield United by Wrexham fans.  I will sleep equally soundly tonight, despite my most mild trepidation that this particular project may well fall flat on it's saggy arse, and prove to be absolutely nowhere near as successful as the original.
Think of it more of the two of us (and everyone else is welcome to join us, of course) having a good old chinwag over a virtual pint, whiling away some spare time, and sharing our thoughts and opinions on the days matters of trivia.  
How on Earth could such a delightful scenario ever result in upset or anger? ?‍♂️

In fact, it sounds most devine, dear boy.
?

*That's right... I'm not particularly busy at the moment, hence the lengthy ramblings!  ?

18 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Not sure where your reference to both upset and anger has come from?  Certainly doesn't relate to my thoughts and opinions.  Mine are more "Meh" and "Whatever", so apologies for my poor writing skills, which appear to suggest otherwise.

I'm aware the plan is "to bring it up to date", and not a re-make.  My bullet points were no more than mere examples of what most/many would rate as the standout laugh out loud moments of the time... none of which would be allowed today, rightly or wrongly.  

Whilst I wouldn't entirely agree with those that opine that "Woke has killed comedy", I do think it has very much limited the boundaries.  I certainly don't envy today's comedians/comedy writers.  Their jobs were never easy, but are nigh on impossible nowadays, in my opinion.
I literally don't recall any tv sitcom from the last decade... actually, make that two...  that I would consider funny.  Entertaining?  I'm sure there must have been?  Enjoyable?  Maybe so.  But not laugh out loud funny.  I do concede I watch very little tv nowadays, so in fairness, I may simply just have missed something?  

For the record, this is not a rant (Despite appearances).  I am neither upset nor angry... about this topic, or anything else at the moment, I'm pleased to say. 
Without wishing to blow my own trumpet, I like to think I manage my emotions extremely well, to generally stay well clear of such negative vibes.  Why, I could even be accused of being heartless, and not caring enough, as I am very adept at shrugging my shoulders, and letting the world revolve around me.  (Scrap the word "could"... I do get so accused... often!)
I slept soundly last night, despite the clear and obvious disrespect shown towards Sheffield United by Wrexham fans.  I will sleep equally soundly tonight, despite my most mild trepidation that this particular project may well fall flat on it's saggy arse, and prove to be absolutely nowhere near as successful as the original.
Think of it more of the two of us (and everyone else is welcome to join us, of course) having a good old chinwag over a virtual pint, whiling away some spare time, and sharing our thoughts and opinions on the days matters of trivia.  
How on Earth could such a delightful scenario ever result in upset or anger? ?‍♂️

?

*That's right... I'm not particularly busy at the moment, hence the lengthy ramblings!  ?

Glad you're meh about it

I think sitcoms may have run their course, nothing to do with woke etc per se. For the last 20 years panel shows have been the funniest things on tv, now they are waning and for 10 years before that sketch shows. All change i suppose.  

IMO the best sitcom of the last 10 years is The Dectorists. Not laugh out loud funny, but good tv nonetheless. The last i enjoyed before that were The Royle Family and Early Doors. I think good writing is good writing regardless of social climate of the day but good writers don't see sitcoms as the future I'm afraid. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

I'll watch it. Cleese is clever - especially so when in self-deprecating character. "Clockwise" was, and still is, a classic. The new "Fawlty Towers" might be pants, or it might be brilliant, so no pre-judgement here.

As long as it’s not based in a hotel called Faulty Towers, or even called Faulty Towers, then what can the problem be? Well…

But, look at Porridge’s spin off sit com when it finished, Going Straight.  It bombed, it wasn’t the same dynamic.

Basil Faulty belongs in that hotel, or out in the town quickly returning back to the hotel.  I can’t see it working, mainly because people will hold the original against it and almost want to not like it.

Edited by Boycie

18 minutes ago, Boycie said:

As long as it’s not based in a hotel called Faulty Towers, or even called Faulty Towers, then what can the problem be? Well…

But, look at Porridge’s spin off sit com when it finished, Going Straight.  It bombed, it wasn’t the same dynamic.

Basil Faulty belongs in that hotel, or out in the town quickly returning back to the hotel.  I can’t see it working, mainly because people will hold the original against it and almost want to not like it.

I agree with the last bit. People heve made their minds up 

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

?

Not aimed at you Mucker but, how many of those scenes would have been allowed 20 or even 10 years earlier.

It amuses me the 70s are held up as a romantic free speech idyll that all other times should be compared unfavourably to.

All those WW2 veterans who were running TV in the 50s and 60s must have been real snowflakes for not allowing a woman's boob to be mistaken for a light switch.

For the record I love Fawlty Towers and aren't offended by it whilst acknowledging some scenes wouldn't be allowed in a modern production.

That doesn't make me a Gammon or a Snowflake, I just understand the context of when something was made.