Passing the ball accurately and retaining possession

Curtains

10 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

They were playing in a mud bath and the ball was alternately moving a 1mph through said mud or at 25 mph as it suddenly took off over a layer of water......this clearly made passing accurately or at the correct momentum to be successful,extremely difficult to judge....I'd imagine it's especially difficult for players who are used to better playing surfaces.

Also,what has any of this got to do with our previous,temporary manager?.....other than playing around at the back would have yielded even worse results with the dreadful conditions.

You saying all Liam’s tactics were hopeless because if so I disagree 

6 minutes ago, David said:

You do realise it was terrible conditions throughout the game? This isn't like a week earlier that I have digged out that has no relevance.

I went to Morecambe and we were wasteful in that game and didn’t retain possession enough .

I know we are lucky to even have a team after administration and we have injuries and a small squad .

The players are doing their best as is Warne but he was critical saying our players aren’t nasty enough and inferred we didn’t manage the game 2nd half and should have scored more 1st half .

Im looking forward to Liverpool,MK Dons and Pompey .

I hope we win them all 

PS The conditions are the same for both teams so how is that an excuse 

Edited by Curtains
Added

Just now, Curtains said:

I went to Morecambe and we were wasteful in that game and didn’t retain possession enough .

I know we are lucky to even have a team after administration and we have injuries and a small squad .

The players are doing their best as is Warne but he was critical saying our players aren’t nasty enough and inferred we didn’t manage the game 2nd half and should have scored more 1st half .

Im looking forward to Liverpool,MK Dons and Pompey .

I hope we win them all  

Unless you accept we are no longer a possession based team, you will be in for a period of misery I'm sorry to say.

Warne has been open about his philosophy and is unlikely to change. He's not interested in playing out from the back and retaining possession for possession sake.

There are no right or wrong styles of football, Simeone, Conte, Guardiola and Klopp are a few of the most successful managers around and couldn't be more different in how they like to play.

The players must shoulder some of the blame for how wasteful we have been under both Rosenior and Warne, take Collins for example who had a slow start to the season in terms of finishing.

The other day, missing 2 penalties is criminal, that can't be blamed on the manager, 2 senior pros with terrible penalties.

23 minutes ago, Curtains said:

You saying all Liam’s tactics were hopeless because if so I disagree 

My point is why are we talking about Liam?

Perhaps we should include how we think Darren wassell would have set us up,he was also a previous temporary manager.

It's irrelevant.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

8 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

My point is why are we talking about Liam?

Perhaps we should include how we think Darren wassell would have set us up,he was also a previous temporary manager.

It's irrelevant.

Which one are you sad about curtains?

Wassell who took us to the play off semi finals and enjoyed one of the best win rates of any recent manager or Liam who failed to win away for something like 30 or so games?

Because,I'd much rather talk about wassell if it comes to discussing irrelevant previous temporary managers,it would be much more cheerful.

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Has it deserted us at times .

Or was it all down to the Cashin sending off yesterday 

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/24748668.2004.11868295

I don’t think it’s deserted us, I think the team is transitioning from the way the previous management asked them to play into how the current management want them to. 
Warne has said in multiple interviews that he favours a more direct approach AND also wants the side to use the ball to manage games effectively, currently for whatever reasons the team aren’t able to execute this consistently. 

There are examples of games recently where it has worked to our advantage and clearly others where it hasn’t. It could be down to the recent injuries and suspensions leaving us with an unsettled side, certain players seem low on confidence, the weather played a part for both teams yesterday. Once we have some players back and can put together a run of games with a settled side we’ll hopefully see improved consistency in the intent and execution of the approach Warne wants. 
Plenty of fans bemoaned our possession based approach of the last few years, others are bemoaning our more direct approach under Warne. You can’t please everyone I suppose, l hope at the end of the season the thing that stands out is we’ve seen Derby score goals and win games as a continuation of our revival. If that leads to promotion great, if it’s a season of consolidation at this level then we progress next year, no dramas for me. 

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

Yes, we played our best available team.

The people saying we couldn't play it on the floor because of the conditions, what about playing it in the air with the swirling wind?! You could see that from Wildsmith's goal kicks that were getting caught up in wind. Our game management was absolutely diabolical. 

So we couldn't play it in the air and couldn't play it on the floor either.

Any other suggestions?

And why do you think ITV wanted to show our game live if it hadn't sprung on you already it's not because the game would be a footballing feast. 

It's because they thought there was a chance of a cup upset. So get real. 

Fwiw, I think Curtains has a point. After going down to 10 men our tactics were as bad as our ball control. No one in our side tried to grab hold of the game, we just kept giving them cheap possession by either hoofing it, or losing control of relatively simple passes. Poor substitutions too. We got everything we deserved on that second half performance.

4 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Fwiw, I think Curtains has a point. After going down to 10 men our tactics were as bad as our ball control. No one in our side tried to grab hold of the game, we just kept giving them cheap possession by either hoofing it, or losing control of relatively simple passes. Poor substitutions too. We got everything we deserved on that second half performance.

What you're failing to remember is that there's literally nothing we could have done differently in any match under Warrne which didn't end up with a positive outcome. The same rule applied under Rooney, it skipped a generation but it's back in effect now.

47 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

or Liam who failed to win away for something like 30 or so games?

LR was Manager for 12 games in League and Cup and had a 58% win rate. A 25% loss rate. Not bad in my book. The problem we had under him was the play through the thirds being too slow. Right from the opening game of the season he was telling the players to be more adventurous, take risks going forward and play the ball quicker. He said so in just about every interview on RamsTV. We know he also said that to the players as Sibley and others have confirmed it. So, the slow play wasn't what LR wanted. Why did the players continue to play that way? It's on the players, IMO.

3 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

LR was Manager for 12 games in League and Cup and had a 58% win rate. A 25% loss rate. Not bad in my book. The problem we had under him was the play through the thirds being too slow. Right from the opening game of the season he was telling the players to be more adventurous, take risks going forward and play the ball quicker. He said so in just about every interview on RamsTV. We know he also said that to the players as Sibley and others have confirmed it. So, the slow play wasn't what LR wanted. Why did the players continue to play that way? It's on the players, IMO.

Either way,I don't understand why we are still discussing a temporary manager who led us for 12 games and is now hulls head coach....he's gone along with his football philosophy.

So good luck to him but it's irrelevant now.

3 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

What you're failing to remember is that there's literally nothing we could have done differently in any match under Warrne which didn't end up with a positive outcome. The same rule applied under Rooney, it skipped a generation but it's back in effect now.

Well, there is some truth in that, but I don’t really want to be painted as a fully signed up member of Team Rosenior. 

l was not entirely convinced by Rooney or Rosenior, but they did pretty good jobs in difficult times, and deserve our gratitude for being there through thin and thin. Should Rosenior have been given more time, I think on balance yes but I can understand Clowes wanting a more experienced hand. However, I would have hoped our new man would have had some footballing credentials. We are however going to experience a lot more of the ping pong football that Warne likes to play. It can be quite exciting, think of Brazil going from defence to scoring a goal in 3 or 4 passes, or Wimbledon in their hey day - ‘great header Fash’ - but for someone like me who prefers the football to move around gracefully, I think for a couple of seasons I am going to have to live with a crick neck, and occasionally cracking open a bottle of Krug when we have successfully completed our 7th consecutive pass.

I like Paul Warne I really do he comes across as a nice bloke and I don’t blame him for taking the job but how can anyone say we’ve improved or it was the right decision is beyond me 

yes before the anti Liam mob bring up the fact that we didn’t score or win away from home etc etc I’m going to reiterate that with Liam in charge I think most of us would’ve bought into the tough journey ahead that we had….LR was always going to have ups and downs but I believe the players he brought in albeit some journeymen were supportive of how we would play 

yes there were bumps but I firmly believe LR would’ve got us in and around the top 6 no more or probably no less than PW but at least with his past couple of seasons being one of us through the bad times I think we as fans would’ve bought into the journey more 

I’m afraid I can’t get behind the dross I’m seeing at times at the moment and still think appointing Warne was a mistake even though I really like the man ….

20 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Either way,I don't understand why we are still discussing a temporary manager who led us for 12 games and is now hulls head coach....he's gone along with his football philosophy.

So good luck to him but it's irrelevant now.

So, when someone posts that we didn't win for 30 games under a manager who only had the job for 12 games I shouldn't put the record straight?

5 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

So, when someone posts that we didn't win for 30 games under a manager who only had the job for 12 games I shouldn't put the record straight?

He was head coach under Rooney too don't forget and many attribute our coaching to Liam during that period.....something that was actually pointed out in the post you are inaccurately quoting (the coaching under Rooney part!)

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

13 minutes ago, S8TY said:

I like Paul Warne I really do he comes across as a nice bloke and I don’t blame him for taking the job but how can anyone say we’ve improved or it was the right decision is beyond me 

yes before the anti Liam mob bring up the fact that we didn’t score or win away from home etc etc I’m going to reiterate that with Liam in charge I think most of us would’ve bought into the tough journey ahead that we had….LR was always going to have ups and downs but I believe the players he brought in albeit some journeymen were supportive of how we would play 

yes there were bumps but I firmly believe LR would’ve got us in and around the top 6 no more or probably no less than PW but at least with his past couple of seasons being one of us through the bad times I think we as fans would’ve bought into the journey more 

I’m afraid I can’t get behind the dross I’m seeing at times at the moment and still think appointing Warne was a mistake even though I really like the man ….

We saw a lot of dross under Liam too...it was a different and duller type however...zzzzz