Passing the ball accurately and retaining possession

Curtains

Yesterday was one of those games that makes the FA Cup what it is.  The conditions did play a part and help Torquay - how many times do you hear pundits talk about them being a great leveller.  Before the game they said that both managers had been looking at the pitch closely and commented that Gary Johnson said “it’ll cut up and be boggy on the far side”.  That’s why it’s a leveller.  They know where to play, where to force us to go to their advantage.

Like some posters have said, it’s hard to play a passing game on that pitch in those conditions.  It was impossible to know jar far the ball would travel and that helps the home team as they know the pitch.  Did we keep the ball well enough - no.  Is that the reason we didn’t win, partially.

I think there’s a common theme under Warne where we are struggling to control games. I don’t really care about conditions or how many men we had, yesterday we made zero attempt to even try and take control. Just aimlessly clearing it and then waiting for them to attack to do the same again. I don’t even mean passing it about, you don’t need to do that to be in control.

It was the same against Port Vale and Morecambe was like a basketball game at times. We have a few good midfielders in the squad but seemingly no intention of giving them the ball very often which is a shame.

Still under embargo, would we stay up in the championship next season?

Some fans need to accept that it could be a 2 or 3 year process to get back to the championship with a side that can compete there.

Another massive overreaction to yesterdays result. We're crippled with injuries and suspensions, and we were cruising until the red card. We're not even out the cup FFS.

11 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

He was head coach under Rooney too don't forget and many attribute our coaching to Liam during that period.....something that was actually pointed out in the post you are inaccurately quoting (the coaching under Rooney part!)

Indeed they do. Only ever the negatives though.

7 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We saw a lot of dross under Liam too...it was a different and duller type however...zzzzz

By the same virtue and applying the same standards we also saw a heck of a lot of spirited performances where we played some excellent football 'under Liam'.

That spell in Rooney's first season where Bielik came back and we looked unbeatable for a couple of months. Many of the home performances last season were very good, including the very memorable wins against Sheffield United, West Brom & Fulham, the epic last minute comeback against Birmingham.

Plenty of the away defeats were put down to us not having a senior striker for Rooney to call on, it was considered that we had played pretty well but lacked a cutting edge, very few people were calling it dross then.

I keep seeing posts saying that it's pointless discussing previous managers, that they're history, they're irrelevant. I agree with that sentiment entirely. So why do I keep seeing people pipe up with negative comments about them as soon as there's a discussion on the merits of the new manager!?

55 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Yesterday was one of those games that makes the FA Cup what it is.  The conditions did play a part and help Torquay - how many times do you hear pundits talk about them being a great leveller.  Before the game they said that both managers had been looking at the pitch closely and commented that Gary Johnson said “it’ll cut up and be boggy on the far side”.  That’s why it’s a leveller.  They know where to play, where to force us to go to their advantage.

Like some posters have said, it’s hard to play a passing game on that pitch in those conditions.  It was impossible to know jar far the ball would travel and that helps the home team as they know the pitch.  Did we keep the ball well enough - no.  Is that the reason we didn’t win, partially.

Let’s see how Torquay do on a decent pitch

?????

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

He was head coach under Rooney too don't forget and many attribute our coaching to Liam during that period.....something that was actually pointed out in the post you are inaccurately quoting (the coaching under Rooney part!)

Assistant Manager under Rooney.

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We saw a lot of dross under Liam too...it was a different and duller type however...zzzzz

We did. However, we know he told the players he wanted the ball played quicker, they be more adventurous and to take risks going forward. He said so in several interviews and Sibs and other players have confirmed that in interviews. So, whose fault was it? 

9 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

We did. However, we know he told the players he wanted the ball played quicker, they be more adventurous and to take risks going forward. He said so in several interviews and Sibs and other players have confirmed that in interviews. So, whose fault was it? 

Who picks the players? Who sets them up? Who tells them what to do? If you can see it's not happening then tell them something else!

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who picks the players? Who sets them up? Who tells them what to do? If you can see it's not happening then tell them something else!

So do you think Rosenior was given enough time.  

Clowes picked Warne and I hope he is right about this appointment 

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

So let’s give Warne time to turn the dross we are seeing into something a bit better or maybe should’ve stuck with the so called dross from LR and given him time ….I don’t want to see the sort of football I’ve been watching since Warnes arrival …we are better than that and yet all of a sudden we are a medoicre league 1 side ….don’t expect our time in league 1 to end anytime soon …give me controlling the game anytime over end to end basketball 

Edited by S8TY

11 minutes ago, Curtains said:

So do you think Rosenior was given enough time.  
Clowes picked Warne and I hope he is right about this appointment 

For me Rosenior was only ever interim. I was intensely bored by his possession at the back until the opposition fell into a coma routine. But then they discovered they could close us down at pace and with hard work, things weren't getting better. Plan B? 

Anyway I do not believe they way we are playing now is the finished article, Warne hasn't had the best of luck with injuries (not his fault he didn't tackle any of them in training, lol!) and now the games are piling up. I'm happy with the effort we see and the players attitude so roll on January.

I'm sure Clowes hopes he's picked the right man, after all it's been quite some time since Derby had a successful manager.

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I was intensely bored by his possession at the back until the opposition fell into a coma routine.

The Ipswich and Exeter games were the 2 most boring games of the season. Who managed those games?

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Plan B?

What's Warne's Plan B? Rosenior had more of a Plan B than what we've seen of Warne so far.

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Warne hasn't had the best of luck with injuries

So did Rosenior, Didzy, Smith, Chester, Davies and Anang all injured under Rosenior.

1 minute ago, Jubbs said:

The Ipswich and Exeter games were the 2 most boring games of the season. Who managed those games?

What's Warne's Plan B? Rosenior had more of a Plan B than what we've seen of Warne so far.

So did Rosenior, Didzy, Smith, Chester, Davies and Anang all injured under Rosenior.

Get some players in in the January window.

We'd still be waiting for an away win under Rosenior and we'd have lost yesterdays game for sure! ?

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Im sitting on the fence between LR and PW both got theirgood and bad points, so what you are saying applies to both managers.

5 hours ago, David said:

In poor conditions, on a poor pitch, with a decimated defence and a game against Liverpool at Anfield 3 days later.

I mean, it's not the end of the world, we're not out the cup or anything, we just have the inconvenience of an extra game to go through to the next round.

Plymouth, top of League 1, 11 v 11 were battered 5-1 by Grimsby on Saturday.

Wycombe lost 2-0 to Walsall.

Lincoln lost 1-0 to 20th place National League South side Chippenham Town

Need I go on?....

Whilst all those things are true I really don't think it excuses the total lack of any sort of composure from any of our outfield players after Cashin got a red card. Genuinely worrying that nobody could think for long enough to make any remotely competent decisions.

3 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Fwiw, I think Curtains has a point. After going down to 10 men our tactics were as bad as our ball control. No one in our side tried to grab hold of the game, we just kept giving them cheap possession by either hoofing it, or losing control of relatively simple passes. Poor substitutions too. We got everything we deserved on that second half performance.

Yes up to the penalty we were more than comfortable,poor play and hopeless balls down the line to no one killed us,we were 3 minutes in to injury time when Liam Thomson got fouled and the Ref brought it back and what did we do knock a long ball down the channel to no one again,unbelievable poor ball management.