Wildsmith

Kernow

19 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I think you'll find it means quite a lot, Can he catch a ball, Does he command his area, Does he talk to his defence, Is he confident, All those players I listed you'll find "the average person" knew about them in some shape of form.

Nice try tho 

How does the average person having heard of a player or not denote whether he can do any of those things? That makes no sense at all, and kind of proves my point. 

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

How does the average person having heard of a player or not denote whether he can do any of those things? That makes no sense at all, and kind of proves my point. 

You brought up the average person.

The average person will know what we're getting as a player if they know about his attributes or can "do any of those things", If the average fan...me...knows very little to nothing about a player...me...would then be "underwhelmed" with the signing.

If our next signing is a free agent Crewe reserve who's a left sided defender and I know nothing about him...I'd be just as "underwhelmed"

Your turn ?

1 minute ago, Unlucky Alf said:

You brought up the average person.

The average person will know what we're getting as a player if they know about his attributes or can "do any of those things", If the average fan...me...knows very little to nothing about a player...me...would then be "underwhelmed" with the signing.

If our next signing is a free agent Crewe reserve who's a left sided defender and I know nothing about him...I'd be just as "underwhelmed"

Your turn ?

Don’t need to say anything. You’ve proved my point yourself. 

Same boat here as everyone else. Hadn't heard of him, was expecting a first choice in as well, but more than happy with every aspect of his game so far. He's the first keeper in ages that hasn't given me a mild heart attack when he comes for crosses. Now he's distributing quickly and not having to faff about receiving goal kicks he looks infinitely more comfortable too. Much rather him than an aging journeyman or loan kid.

7 hours ago, OUTSIDER said:

I like his fall to the floor after catching the ball , 

Looked like Accrington fans being wound up every time he went down 

I don’t. Not only did he hurt himself on one occasion by landing on the ball - and could therefore have injured himself and have been out of action - he also wound up the acfc fans to a degree that they threw something at him which could also have caused him an injury.

Never mind old fashioned thoughts of sportsmanship, what was the actual point of him doing the swan dive(s) in catching the ball? If he wanted to waste time, which I presume was the motive, then he could have done that in a much cleverer and effective way without running unnecessary risks.

I like Joe Wildsmith. I think he’s done well. But I hope that we don’t see him repeating the fake dives onto the ball in future games.

13 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I don’t. Not only did he hurt himself on one occasion by landing on the ball - and could therefore have injured himself and have been out of action - he also wound up the acfc fans to a degree that they threw something at him which could also have caused him an injury.

Never mind old fashioned thoughts of sportsmanship, what was the actual point of him doing the swan dive(s) in catching the ball? If he wanted to waste time, which I presume was the motive, then he could have done that in a much cleverer and effective way without running unnecessary risks.

I like Joe Wildsmith. I think he’s done well. But I hope that we don’t see him repeating the fake dives onto the ball in future games.

What would happen if all ten outfield players simply surrounded the ball by the corner flag so no opponent could possibly get near it?

Is there a time-wasting rule whilst the ball is in play?

8 hours ago, Kernow said:

But Allsop was excellent here and I was gutted to see him go. Wildsmith will end up the same in my mind if he keeps going the way he is. 

It’s the most important position on the pitch - the key part of a good defence. Allsop was very imposing - a real presence at the back. Thought there was no way Wildsmith could come close but he has made a fabulous start 

46 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

What would happen if all ten outfield players simply surrounded the ball by the corner flag so no opponent could possibly get near it?

The answer to the second question must be ‘no’ (I think there’s a separate 6 second rule that applies to the keeper).

Look forward to someone answering the first question. I suspect there’s no offence but that if anyone did it, the obstruction rule would be changed to cover it (don’t think it does at the moment) 

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I can’t see any way that there would be an offence other than the ref would blow up for obstruction - aren’t you meant to be in control of the ball and therefore 9 of the group by definition can’t be in control of the same ball and therefore would be obstructing the opponents.

Having said that it’s a fine line - players shepherd the ball out of play all the time and often aren’t within a yard of it and no fouls are given.
There did use to be a rule that the goalie could only have the ball in his hands for 6 seconds but like many other rules - foul throws, taking throws from the correct place, obstruction etc - refs never bother with it.  It does my head in when teams (including ours) play for time so blatantly by delaying getting the ball back into play and the ref does nothing until there’s about 10 minutes to go. Apparently it’s ‘being professional’.  Can’t stand it.

5 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I can’t see any way that there would be an offence other than the ref would blow up for obstruction - aren’t you meant to be in control of the ball and therefore 9 of the group by definition can’t be in control of the same ball and therefore would be obstructing the opponents.

Having said that it’s a fine line - players shepherd the ball out of play all the time and often aren’t within a yard of it and no fouls are given.
There did use to be a rule that the goalie could only have the ball in his hands for 6 seconds but like many other rules - foul throws, taking throws from the correct place, obstruction etc - refs never bother with it.  It does my head in when teams (including ours) play for time so blatantly by delaying getting the ball back into play and the ref does nothing until there’s about 10 minutes to go. Apparently it’s ‘being professional’.  Can’t stand it.

The 6 second rule for goalkeepers is still active but never implemented.

When he signed I was a little underwhelmed, purely on the basis that he never managed to hold down the #1 shirt at Wednesday. However, so far i'd say he's been pretty solid. 

I don't think he's made many wonder saves ie Carson during the Rowett season but he's certainly not dropped any clangers Roos cough Roos. So he gets the thumbs up from me. 

I'll say the same thing I always say about him. Safe hands.

If he can catch a shot at the first attempt, or block it and gather without danger of losing it he will.

He's not one of these keepers who seems to push everything round the post to concede loads of corners, or back into play to concede chances on the rebound.

I had heard of him and as a young keeper he was tipped for the highest of heights. Nevertheless, as with a lot of highly-rated young keepers, he took a while to get a chance over more established professionals - Keiran Westwood comes to mind - and when he did he never really cemented his position in the team. 

I wanted him as a number two, who would battle for the number one jersey - as was the plan. Pre-season worried a lot of people, but since the season started he's been absolutely fantastic. A clean sheet every other game, goals conceded below a goal a game. Definitely can't grumble. He improved no end with the ball at his feet. 

Fantastic addition given our restrictions. 

On 16/10/2022 at 23:16, ilkleyram said:

the ref would blow up for obstruction - aren’t you meant to be in control of the ball and therefore 9 of the group by definition can’t be in control of the same ball and therefore would be obstructing the opponents.

But you can’t be done for obstruction if you’re just standing still surely.