Derby County v Exeter City Tuesday 25 October

Gritstone Ram

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Wonderful, our fans supporting our new manager....

This is one of the reasons why I thought it was a mistake to bring him in. He said he'd adapt to the squad in his first press conference I believe and has he hell. Forgive me for not wanting us to be turned into a hoofball side that is overly cautious, defensive, soporific and constantly yoyoing between division 2 and 3. 

2 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Wonderful, I can't wait to bring in Warne's 'brand' of player... 

Come on now you've always seemed to post balanced views on here but this is a bit strong....what about Hourinhane, I wouldn't pay him in washers for example he's totally ineffective so I'd rather have Warnes brand of footballer over him anyday of the week

Just now, IlsonDerby said:

It wasn’t great before and yet we were 7th and looked like we had a plan, it was just being executed poorly in terms of being layers not being brave enough to move forwards more quickly. 

We are currently bottom half and it is certainly worse than great. Aimless hoof ball. No patterns of play. Everything good that happens feels like it happens in spite of what the manager is trying to do with them. 

We were 7th with less games played. 7th early in the season means nothing and you well know it. We'd likely, in my opinion, be in almost exactly the same position either way around. Warne's plan is also being poorly executed. That's part of the task. You excuse Rosenior in the same way you'd damn Warne. You are biased.

We aren't in the bottom half. We have a game in hand, notice how you used that as a plus for Rosenior earlier and not for Warne now, again, bias. It isn't aimless hoofball. We are trying to move the ball with more directness and pace. We aren't just hoofing it. 

People see what they want to see, but you lack any objectivity here at all. It is very little difference from Rosenior now, and Warne hasn't brought any of his own players in. 

7 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Have there really been that many of those? More often it seems the players we think are great end up doing very little. 

(Ebiowei might be an exception but we were desperate to keep him.)

Not Ebiowei because as you say we wanted to keep him.

It’s all relative according to the level we were playing at around the time we let players go, but some who came to mind and went on to play at a level where arguably they could have stayed and been useful for us around that time would include: Tudgay, Holmes, Evatt, Meredith, Nick Wright, Ashbee, Luke Thomas (now), Vernam (now) and Morgan Whittaker, who never impressed me at all at Derby but looked a good player when he came back this season!

So I’m not suggesting Bird would go on to play for England (and Coventry) if he left us, but we have let some capable players go before, where at the time I thought “Well if they were good enough, we’d have kept them”

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

This is one of the reasons why I thought it was a mistake to bring him in. He said he'd adapt to the squad in his first press conference I believe and has he hell. Forgive me for not wanting us to be turned into a hoofball side that is overly cautious, defensive, soporific and constantly yoyoing between division 2 and 3. 

Everyone adapts to what they have to work with. Doesn't mean they won't then want to add additions in to the squad. As for the last bit, the yoyoing thing is just so tired. 

Most refreshing manager’s interview I’ve heard. This lot will be out the door quicker than they know it if things don’t change. Fair play to Warne for his honesty. 

Edited by Diego

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

It took Rosenior too long to realize that a midfield of Smith, Bird and Hourihane simply doesn't work. I hope we don't have to wait any longer for Warne to come to the same conclusion. As soon as I saw the teamsheet I thought it had 0-0 written all over it.

As soon as I saw it I thought “Not Sibley as the second forward at home, please no!” Maybe Sibley AND McGoldrick, in place of Hourihane

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

Come on now you've always seemed to post balanced views on here but this is a bit strong....what about Hourinhane, I wouldn't pay him in washers for example he's totally ineffective so I'd rather have Warnes brand of footballer over him anyday of the week

You're not wrong about Hourihane but I don't want us to be turned into Rotherham mark 2 either which is where I can see we're heading.  I was never a fan of Warne's appointment and believed it was a monumental error and I still think that tbh. I hope I'm wrong but the style of play is pretty much non-existent and we're not taking advantage of our players best qualities atm. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Everyone adapts to what they have to work with. Doesn't mean they won't then want to add additions in to the squad. As for the last bit, the yoyoing thing is just so tired. 

I mean if this is his 'adaption' then in evolutionary terms he's destined for extinction. Why is it tired? He's never shown he can actually move beyond division 3? It's also one of the big reasons why i think his appointment was an error. 

16 minutes ago, jameso said:

What did I see in him tonight or what do I see he’s capable of?

The first: not a great deal admittedly; some good passes (blown away by Cashin in that respect but different positions obviously) especially at the beginning when he wasn’t playing in a 2 with Hourihane. Certainly didn’t stamp his authority on the game and has only reached the heights once this season, at Cambridge. But on the night better than Hourihane - though for me that says more about Hourihane, who has been totally underwhelming so far for me. Definitely not worth dear oh dearing him on that performance. Just my opinion though obviously.

What I see he can be is a very effective box-to-box player who has all the tools to play at a decent level. He has an eye for a pass and can play it, he can shoot (though he hardly ever does), his physical strength and effectiveness is (was) improving. 

He’s going to be the latest goes-somewhere-else-and-shows-us-what-we-could-have-had if we’re not careful.

Unsure about the Hourihane bit i think there both not suited to each other! The bit i have highlighted i do agree with you in parts i do agree theres a good player in there his strength is still very weak, box to box midfield i dont see that at all he doesnt move enough for me and when he does he seems to run behind there players to make it impossible to pass the ball to him! I think the way we have brought him in as a defensive midfielder has killed his game quite alot and i have alway thought he was better when going forward even when he was in the u23s

I will keep it simple 

I did not enjoy any of that ! 

Exeter should be ashamed for the ridiculous time wasting whilst we wouldn’t have done anything with more if we had it back 

Our only plan to score a goal was clearly to put the behind the opponent and someone might run after it 

officials were useless yet again 
forsyth and Cashin did ok 

Just now, Leeds Ram said:

I mean if this is his 'adaption' then in evolutionary terms he's destined for extinction. Why is it tired? He's never shown he can actually move beyond division 3? It's also one of the big reasons why i think his appointment was an error. 

Because it's been posted time and time again the reason why. He never had the squad or the budget, and did a great job in a league where Rotherham (who were never at the top even in league one) for budgets could compete. It shouldn't need repeating over and over every time we drop points. 

16 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Glad to know you think beating Exeter at home with a depleted squad would count as a miracle though!

Think of it more as: coming in with a suitably acceptable brand of football and points tally after 4 league games such that a subsequent draw at home to Exeter would be deemed tolerable by the majority of fans… would count as a miracle