Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

29 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Not sure why folks are getting all agitated about all of the hyperbole generated on local radio about out new manager, that's exactly the raison d'etre that local radio exist and exactly the same reason I pay little or no attention to it.

Let the guy do his job and be judged on that, Rosenoir has had publically more that enough thanks of well wishing from the club to avoid it being turned into some sort of hagiography of the guy which simply would be embarrassing. 

Not sure again what folks expect.

There's basically a bit of mardyness from some fans of Liam which is souring their views on the new gaffer.

Plus a few people just aren't comfortable with such a gregarious chap.

It will pass in time if we start achieving as a team especially in terms of scoring more goals and winning away from home for the first time in months.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

14 hours ago, i-Ram said:

It’s a good question. Bit surprised it came from you though.

l suppose I am being a little unfair to Warne. It is the Club that seem to be hyping him up, with Owen Bradley gushing around him like a pubescent schoolgirl with a crush. Perhaps quite difficult for Warne to dampen down all the flattering small talk, and it’s easier to run with the ‘yeah, you’re not wrong, I am indeed a likeable, relatable, amusing kind of guy’.

I guess I am just a bit old school. Fwiw I take the view that a more measured approach would have been better over the last week and a bit.
Firstly because I think we should have been more respectful to Liam Rosenior. Not saying Liam was going to cut it, or indeed that he shouldn’t have been stood down, but the guy did a lot of good work for the club particularly during his final 15 months, and he deserved a lot better in my view with regards to the manner of his departure. A few lines on a website - thanks Liam, good luck, whatever.

Secondly because we have signed Paul Warne, not Pep Guardiola or Carlo Ancelotti or any other proven manager. He’s managed one club, one small provincial club, with clearly a lot of leeway and Bonhomie from his Chairman, and whilst he has had some promotions let’s not forget he has had a similar number of relegations. He is many ways an unknown entity, one who I hope succeeds I should emphasise, but the buzz seems to be, before he has even even managed one game, that he ‘is the man’ who is going to take us back up the leagues.

All a bit unnecessary, and premature, if you ask me. Happy to get carried away after say 10 games or so, when we are in the top 3 and playing decent football, but for me personally I would have preferred a more low key first week, with good performances and results over the weeks ahead being a more appropriate catalyst for the current love-in.

This is exactly how I’m feeling mate. All this hype for someone who comes across as a hybrid of Rowett/Holloway and who has as many relegations in his managerial record as promotions is ridiculous. I’m not interested in how many or what type of coffee he drinks, just that he gets out there, does his job and the football is at least watchable. 

3 minutes ago, Jayram said:

This is exactly how I’m feeling mate. All this hype for someone who comes across as a hybrid of Rowett/Holloway and who has as many relegations in his managerial record as promotions is ridiculous. I’m not interested in how many or what type of coffee he drinks, just that he gets out there, does his job and the football is at least watchable. 

Well it wasn’t at Lincoln 

11 hours ago, ram59 said:

I wouldn't say that they were comfortably relegated both times.

in 2019 they were 4 points from safety and in 2021 they were only 2 points from safety, despite having to play up to 4 games per week due to covid postponements.

Yeah looks like that was an overstatement on my part. Thought off the top of my head they were further adrift than they were.

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

There's basically a bit of mardyness from some fans of Liam which is souring their views on the new gaffer.

It will pass in time if we start achieving as a team especially in terms of scoring more goals and winning away from home for the first time in months.

If that's the case I feel like I'm in the weird camp who really wasn't sure about the move but the interviews have swayed me a fair bit.

With that said:

- Still feel like Rosenior was hard done by.

- Still feel like it sets an unrealistic expectation for the season.

- Still unconvinced that Warne will be the right fit tactically.

- Still getting the feeling it could be another Rowett type situation where there is a lot of effort to convince it won't be ugly on the pitch and then it is.

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

If that's the case I feel like I'm in the weird camp who really wasn't sure about the move but the interviews have swayed me a fair bit.

With that said:

- Still feel like Rosenior was hard done by.

- Still getting the feeling it could be another Rowett type situation where there is a lot of effort to convince it won't be ugly on the pitch and then it is.

Put me in that weird camp too. You've pretty much summed up my feelings. I have to say he does come across as the kind of character that can squeeze an extra 5 to 10 percent more out of each player.

That is a rare skill set to have. Pretty much what gave Holloway his success at Blackpool. Here's hoping he smashes it and proves our reservations unfounded. UTR.

After watching these interviews, I feel like we replaced an über-positive happy clapper with a bit naive, but thoughful clown...  I wasn't exactly pro Rosie, let's see can the PW win me over. His football does sound like the one I prefer so I'm looking forward to it.

"Why wall" does sound suitable method for adolescence, but then again, most of our players are very young. Yet, I'd prefer bit more sophisticated and modern sport psychology techniques. 

There's not much wrong in our game, so let's hope this change ignites us to fulfill the whole potential we got.

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

Still feel like Rosenior was hard done by.

Feel sorry forLiam but don’t feel he was hard done by. He’s inexperienced and he had to knock it out of the park to get the job. And it makes sense for the club to want to avoid having an interim in place for too long. (Must say I thought they’d give him longer tho)

whether PW is the right guy is a separate question. You’d think with his record he’d get us out of this division, especially if we fill some gaps in January. Whether he’ll be the right guy for the championship only time will tell. But DC’s focus right now is to get out of div 1

I’m a bit more enthused since I’ve heard that Clowes has told Warne to build a long term project in his image, and that it is not a case of get us promoted this season. 

However in the very same interview Warne stated it is often fans who choose to sack you rather than an owner i.e. the discontent makes your position untenable. Some were getting restless after 9 games of Rosenior (where imo we had been about as expected overall) so I have little confidence we won’t see the same again.

3 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

He talks impressively but it’s how we do on the pitch that counts. 

21 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Feel sorry forLiam but don’t feel he was hard done by. He’s inexperienced and he had to knock it out of the park to get the job. And it makes sense for the club to want to avoid having an interim in place for too long. (Must say I thought they’d give him longer tho)

whether PW is the right guy is a separate question. You’d think with his record he’d get us out of this division, especially if we fill some gaps in January. Whether he’ll be the right guy for the championship only time will tell. But DC’s focus right now is to get out of div 1

I agree that whether or not Warne is right is a separate question. But Rosenior has a right to feel hard done by in my opinion.

At the start of pre-season we barely had any playing staff, it was a short pre season, we could spend 0 money, we could offer limited wages and there were structural problems at the club to fix like barely any scouting staff. That's a difficult proposition no matter how you cut it and I think most would have said it would have been a great season at that point if we ended up in the playoffs. 

Yet he'd managed to scrap a competitive squad together, started to coach us into something cohesive and after 9 games we were in touching distance of the playoffs. Where there issues to be solved ? For sure. Did he make mistakes? Again for sure. But overall that to me was a good job that deserved more time especially given that you would expect things to pick up over time as cohesion in the squad grew.

I'm generally opposed to changing managers mid season unless it's overwhelmingly necessary, so in my opinion to change a manager who doing pretty well after such a short period of time is harsh.

4 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I agree that whether or not Warne is right is a separate question. But Rosenior has a right to feel hard done by in my opinion.

At the start of pre-season we barely had any playing staff, it was a short pre season, we could spend 0 money, we could offer limited wages and there were structural problems at the club to fix like barely any scouting staff. That's a difficult proposition no matter how you cut it and I think most would have said it would have been a great season at that point if we ended up in the playoffs. 

Yet he'd managed to scrap a competitive squad together, started to coach us into something cohesive and after 9 games we were in touching distance of the playoffs. Where there issues to be solved ? For sure. Did he make mistakes? Again for sure. But overall that to me was a good job that deserved more time especially given that you would expect things to pick up over time as cohesion in the squad grew.

I'm generally opposed to changing managers mid season unless it's overwhelmingly necessary, so in my opinion to change a manager who doing pretty well after such a short period of time is harsh.

To be fair,he wasn't the manager,his title of interim coach,pretty much summed up the role he was expected to be doing before replacement.

He did ok at that and hadn't done himself any harm for the future so it's a win for him,just not the big one he wanted.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

Just now, brady1993 said:

We were getting worse, not better. So I wonder whether the quote from DCFC/Clowes at the fans meeting is most pertinent?

"The club has been reviewing and assessing the managerial position since David Clowes took over and Liam Rosenior has been fantastic. They have a great relationship. The club has a duty of care towards Liam's career as someone taking his first steps in managing and what might happen to Liam if it didn't work out played a part in the decision."

Going now and his record looks good...

11 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

To be fair,he wasn't the manager,his title of interim coach,pretty much summed up the role he was expected to be doing before replacement.

He did ok at that and hadn't done himself any harm for the future so it's a win for him,just not the big one he wanted.

People seem to get obsessed with the Interim title. Regardless of this it was obvious that Liam wanted the job permanently and for me under the difficult circumstances he found himself in he should have at least been given until Christmas. We have chopped and changed managers over and over in our recent history and where has it got us?

36 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Answering this separately because its kinda a different point. Will Warne get us promoted eventually? I think there is a decent chance of it if we hold our nerve. There is a fair chance that after an initial bounce the next few months gets a bit rocky due to the transition in managers, transition in styles of play and as a more taxing style of play takes its toll on our squad (particularly the older players). Will Clowes blink if this happens and we are only 10th at Xmas? 

The question shouldn't be whether Warne will get us promoted, it should be whether he sets us up for long term sustainable success. We should be thinking now about how we get into the premiership, how do we stay there and how do we do it without needing to recklessly spend. Short term thinking is what got us into league 1 and the current mess financially. We need to be thinking beyond "get out of league 1 at all costs" or it will bite us.

To me the solution to it is something along the lines of focus on the academy, have an established style of play and culture that runs throughout the club and recruit both players and managers that fit that.

From listening to his interviews Warne does seem a very good fit for setting the right culture and a mindset in a club. But can he build towards a style of play throughout the club that we can build upon to a style that will leave us a prem team? And can he and his team coach a steady stream of academy players into being first team players? Those are both the big open questions to me.

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

People seem to get obsessed with the Interim title. Regardless of this it was obvious that Liam wanted the job permanently and for me under the difficult circumstances he found himself in he should have at least been given until Christmas. We have chopped and changed managers over and over in our recent history and where has it got us?

It's not being obsessed,it's a simple fact that being interim means exactly that.

Clearly from day one,derby were looking for a successor to Rooney and Liam was never going to be it.