Derby V Plymouth Argyle Match Ratings

Ellafella

Half  marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Monday @ 18:00. Results  by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 - that's the baseline. 

Wildsmith

Knight

Forsyth

Cashin

Stearman

Dobbin

McGoldrick

Sibley

Hourihane

Mendez-Laing

Bird ? 

Collins

Barkhuizen

Thompson

Osula

16 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Half  marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Monday @ 18:00. Results  by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 - that's the baseline. 

Wildsmith 6

Knight 6

Forsyth 6.5

Cashin 5.5

Stearman 6

Dobbin 5.5

McGoldrick 7

Sibley 5.5

Hourihane 6

Mendez-Laing 7

Bird ? 6

Collins 6.5

Barkhuizen 6

Thompson 4

Osula 5

Wildsmith 7

Knight 7

Forsyth 7

Cashin 6

Stearman 6.5

Dobbin 6

McGoldrick 7.5

Sibley 6.5

Hourihane 5.5

Mendez-Laing 7.5

Bird 6.5

Collins 7

Barkhuizen 6.5

Thompson 5.5

Osula 5.5

Wildsmith 7

Knight 7

Forsyth 6

Cashin 5

Stearman 5

McGoldrick 7

Hourihane 5

Mendez-Laing 7

Backwards Bird 4

Collins 6

Barkhuizen 6

Sibley 5

Dobbin 3

Thompson 3

Osula 3

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Wildsmith              6  Brilliant one handed save at 0-0

Knight                    6  Energetic as ever brilliant block on the line.

Forsyth                  6  You could see the tactics initially against their small full back

Cashin                  6  Would probably have been my MoM had it not been for his costly error for 3rd goal.

Stearman              6  Steady but exposed by lack of a mid-field

Dobbin                  5  too late to have an impact

McGoldrick           6.5  Lively and a good assist for the first goal.

Sibley                    5  Had lilltle impact. Out of position.

Hourihane            4  Very disappointing game. Involved but too unforced many errors

Mendez-Laing     6  Excellent individual goal. Our main threat.

Bird ?                 4  Another disappointing game. Overwhelmed in mid-field. 

Collins                  6  Took his goal well. Probably the main positive from the game. Again little support.

Barkhuizen          5  Got clattered quite a bit. Little influence.

Thompson           3  Could see the logic of bolstering the poor mid-field but a bit of a headless chicken performance. No impact.                                                   

Osula                   5  Put himself about. Unfair to judge yet with little support. Think a more experienced loanee is what we wanted.

At half time I said 2-0 and we have not played. Totally 'out passed' and over ran in mid-field. No support to front men. Disappointing. Substitutes had adverse effect and with hindsight (how wonderful that is !!) Rooney's introduction may have been more beneficial. Reverting to a back 3 with either Fozzy or Rooney in there may have helped following the introduction of their substitutes.

Food for thought !

Wildsmith  6  Thought he could've done better for the winner 

Knight  6.5.   Good 1st half, struggled a bit 2nd

Forsyth 6.  Not his usual solid self and spurned a good chance late on. 

Cashin. 5.5.  Never comfortable, bad error let in the winner

Stearman. 5.5. Not one of his best 

Dobbin. 5  Too late to have an impact. 

Mcgoldrick. 8. The sooner he can complete 80-90 minutes the better. 

Sibley. 6.  Struggled to make impact from position he was required to play, but that's no excuse for poor defensive work. 

Hourihane.  4.  Struggled, anonymous. Can't persist with him and Bird together. 

Mendez-Laing.  7.  Lively 1st half, great goal, but another who faded 2nd half. 

Bird ? 5.  Gotta be stronger and more determined Max. Play Smith or Rooney and free him up. 

Collins. 7.  Important goal, worked hard, but faded like so many. 

Barkhuizen. 7.  Was playing well, so sub seemed strange. Presume he was knackered too. 

Thompson  4.  Had a mare. Physically bullied. Needs to toughen up in this league. 

Olusa 6.5.  Got a glimpse of what he can bring. Unlucky to be the only player all game to be penalised for using his strength. 

Referee and East Stand lino - Zilch. Possibly the least competent we've suffered so far. 

Wildsmith   6  - Couple of decent stops, not really at fault for the goals

Knight   6 -  Energetic performance as usual, nice covering block on the line.

Forsyth   6 -  Not his best, not his worst. Let down by those in front of him.

Cashin   6 - Reasonable performance until match defining error.

Stearman   6 - Another steady performance, problems lay ahead of him.

Dobbin   6 - 10 min run-out, didn't effect game.

McGoldrick   7 - Loadsa quality, good assist, first start but ran out of steam.

Sibley   5  - Came on in wrong position, zero impact struggled with defensive duties.

Hourihane   5 - Midfield duo were hugely disappointing today, lack of skill and control lost us the game.

Mendez-Laing   7 - Super goal that probably edged him for our MoM. Lively 1st half, quiet 2nd half.

Bird    5 - Another anonymous league appearance, got extra point for nice assist though.

Collins   6 - Worked hard again in defence and attack.  Worked off scraps.  Pity he couldn't celebrate a win with his goal.

Barkhuizen   6 - Showed his class in flashes but largely anonymous.

Thompson   4 -  Didn't see the value in this sub, we were completely overwhelmed in midfield and Thompson had no effect.

Osula   6 -  Big and strong, might offer something going forwards but had little support.

Disappointing result after being 2-0 at HT.  The score flattered us imho and Plymouth came out strong in the 2nd half.  LR was slow to react and made things worse bringing Thompson on and playing Sibley out of position.  We offered nothing, Plymouth took complete control and the inevitable happened.  Rooney for Bird next time out for me, he's been largely disappointing for me this season and needs a jolt.

Edited by maxjam

was at the game

Wildsmith-6

Knight-7

Stearman-6

Cashin-6

Forsyth-5.5

Hourihane-5

Bird-4     Seasons not got going for him yet

Barkhuizen-6

NML-6.5

Mcgoldrick-6.5

Collins-6

Sibley-5.5

Thommo-5

Osula-5.5

Dobbin-5

I was at the game yesterday on a rare trip to Pride Park for me.

I find some of these ratings bizarre. I'm not sure how anyone could give McGoldrick a 6/6.5??? I thought he was outstanding, you could see that he was a level above most others and came off to a standing ovation. We were still actually winning when he came off, so how he gets below an 8 staggers me.

The other rating that confuses me is Cashin at around a 6. I had a perfect view of the error that led to the final goal and, therefore, can see why his grade has tumbled, but I thought he was as solid as a rock in defence and seemed to win everything, I also thought that he was very confident on the ball when playing-out from the back. If we had won or drawn I personally would have given him an 8/8.5, but now I'm typing this, maybe a 6/6.5 is reflective of the bad error.

I agree that Bird and Hourihane should be low, apart from a great pass in from Bird for the second goal, thought they were chasing shadows for a lot of the game and the 2nd half especially.

The other player that I am low on is Thompson, he looked so behind the game, I have absolutely no idea what he was trying to do?? I thought that he was brought on to man-mark their number 7 (Someone called Butcher who, unfortunately, ran the game) but, alas, he just seemed to run about - How someone could give him a 5, a point/point-and-a-half lower than McG is baffling ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, Birdyabroad said:

I was at the game yesterday on a rare trip to Pride Park for me.

I find some of these ratings bizarre. I'm not sure how anyone could give McGoldrick a 6/6.5??? I thought he was outstanding, you could see that he was a level above most others and came off to a standing ovation. We were still actually winning when he came off, so how he gets below an 8 staggers me.

The other rating that confuses me is Cashin at around a 6. I had a perfect view of the error that led to the final goal and, therefore, can see why his grade has tumbled, but I thought he was as solid as a rock in defence and seemed to win everything, I also thought that he was very confident on the ball when playing-out from the back. If we had won or drawn I personally would have given him an 8/8.5, but now I'm typing this, maybe a 6/6.5 is reflective of the bad error.

I agree that Bird and Hourihane should be low, apart from a great pass in from Bird for the second goal, thought they were chasing shadows for a lot of the game and the 2nd half especially.

The other player that I am low on is Thompson, he looked so behind the game, I have absolutely no idea what he was trying to do?? I thought that he was brought on to man-mark their number 7 (Someone called Butcher who, unfortunately, ran the game) but, alas, he just seemed to run about - How someone could give him a 5, a point/point-and-a-half lower than McG is baffling ?‍♂️

Re Cashin - I hear you but it was a bad mistake at an awful time, which has to count for something. Also he played in a defence that shipped 3 goals, was maybe slow to notice Cosgrove on the 2nd (not his fault in the build-up) and arguably (if he'd had cat-like reflexes and was incredibly lucky) could have done something about the first too! Still made some brilliant blocks, mostly read the game well, and once again showed some skill in passing/playing out of defence. Giving marks objectively is tricky because if I'm honest Cashin has built up so much credit it feels harsh to give him less than a 6!

Giving marks for subs is difficult too. Hourihane obviously gave more kilometres/sweat than Thompson but I ended up giving them the same below average mark on the basis that Thompson was ineffective but didn't do too much wrong, but ultimately he only played 30 minutes or so, whereas Hourihane played 94 minutes and was frustrating.

And yes we were still winning when McGoldrick (who was very good) went off but maybe that had as much to do with Knight's block and Wildsmith's save in the first half (?)