Derby V Plymouth Argyle Match Ratings

Ellafella

On 04/09/2022 at 08:34, Ellafella said:

My first match of the season. Thought the midfield failed to get a grip throughout. Sad as the front 3 of Collins, McGoldrick and NML looked capable of scoring any time and if we had continued with those three then we could and should have won easily.

However...

Wildsmith 7, good saves, little chance with goals

Knight 7, committed, good energy 

Forsyth 6, poor heading against their smaller full back

Cashin 7, great blocks. Only error for winning goal when he should have booted it out

Stearman 6 steady 

Dobbin 6 no time 

McGoldrick 8, classy, full of chasing, sadly cannot do it for 90 minutes 

Sibley 6, poor control, one great surging run

Hourihane 4, in effectual, weak, will not head the ball. Needs dropping 

Mendez-Laing 7, looked a threat, tired in second half

Bird ? 4, no effect on game

Collins 7, good battling and goal 

Barkhuizen 6, skipped past marker twice but not involved enough 

Thompson 3, negative, wrong substitution 

Osula 6, looked promising, unlucky to be pulled up for foul when through 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your ratings and input of comments for the Plymouth Match. The infographic is presented below. I've only just got over the sting of that game but now am starting to see that it was a timely defeat and has given us perhaps a more realistic appraisal of where we are as a team.

Summary

McGoldrick was statistical MotM with an average rating of 7.20, with NML not too far behind on 6.86. The average player rating was 5.77, with 8 players above average and 7 players below. The red dotted line is the cut-off point. It's interesting that the ratings bear out what many were commenting during & after the game ie that our midfield department was just not right and that's where Plymouth won the game. You'll see that the lowest ratings were given to midfielders Thompson, Hourihane & Bird.  NML actually got the highest single rating of 8.5, thanks to Chadlad, followed by McGoldrick with a series of 8.0 scores. The Tony Hatch award went to CBRammette who gave an overall team rating of 71.50, some 5.89 points lower than the average team rating of 77.39. Given the home defeat, it will be of no surprise that the average aggregated team rating is the lowest thus far this season; the next lowest was the 80.98 scored for the Oxford United game, which was a victory so surprising that it ranks that low. I will catch up with the Lincoln City ratings tomorrow (should be interesting) and the Wycombe game will follow quickly after that. The international break will enable me to pin some season to date analysis which I'm looking forward to doing because I do think there will be some interesting insights - not least that the player with th ehighest average ratings to date this season is not NML or McGoldrick (although they are close) but a certain Jake Rooney. I appreciate he has played fewer games but the 2 that he has played he was rated consistently high by a large volume of raters. I think he is good enough to make a claim to a starting spot, and deserves a league start or at least an appearance from the bench when fit. He could be another great find and he could also give Bird a new lease of life because he has notably suffered poor form of late.

Thanks for your help and keep the ratings coming in. They will make a great record for the season. 

infographic PAFC.jpg