Haydon Roberts

jono

11 minutes ago, SK47 said:

What if he rejected any deal, making himself a free agent, and then signed as one in the summer when the deal runs out?

Don’t think it matters because, for example, if you played for us and we offered you a deal but so did Man Utd, you’d reject us and sign for Man Utd and in your scenario we would be entitled to nothing. 

56 minutes ago, SK47 said:

What if he rejected any deal, making himself a free agent, and then signed as one in the summer when the deal runs out?

I think there would still be a development fee due as he is under 21. There’s something in FIFA, EFL and Premier League rules about compensation being paid for the years invested in a young player, not sure if it’s dependent on a contract being offered or is just a standard thing anyway. It’s why we had something for Buchanan and Festy. International transfers are set amounts pre-determined by FIFA, I think it’s less clear between Prem and EFL clubs as there are examples of tribunals having to settle such matters (Ings and Elliot to Liverpool are 2 examples).

Hopefully that’s a consideration the EFL and Clowes can agree in the business plan. Picking up a couple of youngsters from other academies shouldn’t be penalised in my view, let us pay a sensible fee and invest in that talent. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Added thoughts

9 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

Why not? You aren’t going to get Sibley playing anywhere else

That would be down to sibley to fit the team rather than the team fit to sibley. Sibs is showing he is very versatile, which is exactly what we need. Just because he isn't guaranteed a start every week, doesn't mean he's not essential to our team. He just needs to fight for his shirt and opportunity, as does everyone, and luckily for him and us, he can come on and do a job in a number of positions.

Great problem to have imo.

??

Lot of ifs attached I suspect.

If he isn't offered a new deal by Brighton.

If we go up.

If he gets a better offer at a higher level.

If a L1 rival who can pay a bigger wage doesn't offer him something.

I like him. Better defensively than Sibs and growing in confidence going forwards, though doesn't have the attacking range. If we could keep him I'd be very happy.

This lad is improving at a rate of knots and I'm pretty certain he'd be one that PW will be looking to get in on a permanent. Critically, he seems to be really enjoying his time at the club and I think that'll count for plenty come the time. He'd still be behind a few at Brighton and I get the strong impression that he's the type of player that would prefer to be playing football, even at a lower level, than sat on a bench elsewhere. Fingers crossed.