“Skint” Barcelona

Day

Wasn’t long ago they were claiming poverty, losing Messi as they couldn’t afford him, which being over a billion in debt you could just about understand they may need to start tightening the purse strings a little.

They were the driving force behind the Money League aka Super League in an attempt to stay competitive and were one of the last to have their hat in there before taking pop shots at other clubs money…..then well, they must have found a bunch of money down the sofa.

Reports suggest the transfer activity isn’t over yet either.

How can a club that’s over a billion in debt go out and spend that kind of money, I just don’t get it.

1A926F0A-B21D-4BD0-BD9D-55AFC5D40B17.jpeg

Excellent article from Sam Wallace in last Mondays Telegraph.

Barcelona's Las Vegas-style gamble depends on legal fate of European Super League

President Joan Laporta is selling tomorrow to pay for today and spending forecasted revenues like they are guaranteed.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/07/24/barcelonas-las-vegas-style-gamble-depends-legal-fate-european/

7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

They have borrowed on future TV deals money - what could possibly go wrong 

they did take about €40 of me when I had a look around their ground in May - thee are better stadiums in England ! 

I've done the stadium tour, did it back when they had that silky half and half shirt, the Rivaldo years. 

Whilst it might not be on par with some of the stadiums over here, he did have that special feeling when you walked in, being so dated you felt the history.

It's an incredible city, one I need to get back to now I'm older and can appreciate it more.

Kicking the can down the road is not new, Newcastle, Burnley, Stoke all clubs I've seen borrow against future revenue.

Just something off about it when they are over a billion in debt, there were eyebrows raised and rightly so over our HMRC bill, yet that is peanuts in comparison.

Peanuts that threatened our entire existence. 

I do feel for the Spanish clubs, their TV revenue is a fraction of what Premier League clubs receive, clubs they compete with for European cups.

Now PSG have entered the big boy arena it's become more expensive. There has to be some kind of European wide financial restrictions to allow a level playing field.

7 minutes ago, David said:

I've done the stadium tour, did it back when they had that silky half and half shirt, the Rivaldo years. 

Whilst it might not be on par with some of the stadiums over here, he did have that special feeling when you walked in, being so dated you felt the history.

It's an incredible city, one I need to get back to now I'm older and can appreciate it more.

Kicking the can down the road is not new, Newcastle, Burnley, Stoke all clubs I've seen borrow against future revenue.

Just something off about it when they are over a billion in debt, there were eyebrows raised and rightly so over our HMRC bill, yet that is peanuts in comparison.

Peanuts that threatened our entire existence. 

I do feel for the Spanish clubs, their TV revenue is a fraction of what Premier League clubs receive, clubs they compete with for European cups.

Now PSG have entered the big boy arena it's become more expensive. There has to be some kind of European wide financial restrictions to allow a level playing field.

I really enjoyed being in Barcelona for four days - I stayed in the Gothic quarter and I was actually pleasantly shocked that the prices were actually on a par with a night out here which probably says more about the prices here! I would go back without doubt especially if the day comes when we can play foot There !

There was so much to like about Barcelona a decade or so ago.

They were the envy of everyone.

They appointed from within with Guardiola. They bombed out the big names like Ronaldinho, Deco, Zambrotta.

They worked harder than anyone out of possession. They introduced an amazing style of football. Their side consisted of about 8 academy players in Valdes, Puyol, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Pedro. 

But off the field they started to make questionable decisions, even back then. They signed Ibrahimovic (clearly not a Barca type player) and dumped Eto’o harshly, they brought in shirt sponsors for the first time and their wage bill blew up.

They still made largely good decisions though. The signings of Neymar, Suarez and Rakitic and the appointment of Luis Enrique were all sound.

But after 2016 is when they became full on basket case. Mad signings, massive wages. Horrible decisions. 

Like you have mentioned, seems they are gambling future funds on today. Not sure why? They aren’t being run as a sound business at all.

9 hours ago, Sparkle said:

They have borrowed on future TV deals money - what could possibly go wrong 

they did take about €40 of me when I had a look around their ground in May - thee are better stadiums in England ! 

didnt leeds do something similar? borrowed on future champion league money. failed to qualify, went into admin. ended up in L1.

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

And the arrogant assumption that they can solve their financial problems by railroading through the super league. 

indeed, and a super league without english clubs is just a no goer so they're going to have to eventually accept the fact that it's a no. 

21 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Excellent article from Sam Wallace in last Mondays Telegraph.

Barcelona's Las Vegas-style gamble depends on legal fate of European Super League

President Joan Laporta is selling tomorrow to pay for today and spending forecasted revenues like they are guaranteed.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/07/24/barcelonas-las-vegas-style-gamble-depends-legal-fate-european/

How do you say "Doing a Leeds" in Spanish?

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like very Mel Morris behaviour.... And look how that ended

They keep signing players and then worry about registering them, in serious financial trouble yet keep finding these transfer fees for players

Barcelona will be absolutely fine. If it becomes too much and they can't be fan-owned anymore then there is a hatful of billionaires who would make that $1bn debt disappear over night to make it happen. 

Barcelona are arguably the biggest club in football, certainly between them and Real Madrid (throw Man Utd in there too) so they're going to be absolutely fine. The way the fans are running the club is an absolute joke at the moment, though. 

“But they still have dead wood in the form of Depay, Neto, Samuel Umtiti, Sergino Dest, Miralem Pjanic, Alex Collado and Martin Braithwaite, though the latter is playing hard-ball.”

Reckon any of that deadwood would take 12k a week and the pleasure of playing real football in front of real fans??