Matchday Thread: 19/7/22Stevenage (a) 19:30ko.

ollycutts1982

49 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Well if it was based on that game, no you wouldn’t, but it’s not just based on that game.

The one time he beat his man with some good skill, he stopped and let the man get back in position. ?‍♂️

But only Roberts and Wildsmith got any real credit for me and Thompson was unbelievably poor on the oppo end of the spectrum.

He looks too small to make any impact at these levels rather we passed on him. 

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Just think we need to give it a bit of time for the team to gel that’s all. We have only lost a friendly……10-15 games in things should look a lot clearer as to how things stand ??

Yeah I kind of feel the same .. was it the season with Billy Davies when we went up that for the first ten or so games we struggled to find wins? Then all of a sudden out a long winning streak together? 

I guess you can make observations in the first 10-15 games by all means but experience tells us that it might well be too early in that period to predict or even guess with any real insight as to how the season will unfold for DCFC 

glad that LR pontes out the he was disappointed that we were to happy to play nonsense side passes across the back line and didn’t show enough bravery to show what a good set of players we have by taking more risks and showing more attacking intent 

hope Louis gets more games to show more than he did tonight 

28 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Conversely if we win our first 4 games then?

Find the original comment quite weird personally as might as well tell the mods on here to shutdown the matchday threads until the 15th league game as any opinion you do have will be invalid upto that point. 

Your opinion will be as valid as everyone else's, no one will ever stop you voicing that opinion. They might not agree with you mind because they may have a different opinion.

In my opinion.

Tonight reminded me of last season when Lawrence was suspended; around the box happier to knock it backwards instead of chancing the progressive pass or drive into the gaps. He seemed to be the only one at times that broke this cycle. I’m not reading too much into it, but we will need to break that cycle and be a bit cannier/braver to do anything in this division.

9 minutes ago, norwichram said:

Yeah I kind of feel the same .. was it the season with Billy Davies when we went up that for the first ten or so games we struggled to find wins? Then all of a sudden out a long winning streak together? 

I guess you can make observations in the first 10-15 games by all means but experience tells us that it might well be too early in that period to predict or even guess with any real insight as to how the season will unfold for DCFC 

Yes I tend to agree. After about 10 games or so you know where you are at. Remember in 20/21 Cocu's second season there were a small number of fans that thought we were heading for trouble after the first few games but after 10 games it was pretty much unanimous that he had to go.

Edited by Rammy03

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Well if it was based on that game, no you wouldn’t, but it’s not just based on that game.

The one time he beat his man with some good skill, he stopped and let the man get back in position. ?‍♂️

But only Roberts and Wildsmith got any real credit for me and Thompson was unbelievably poor on the oppo end of the spectrum.

Wildsmith? Really 

I honestly thought he was the worst player on the pitch. Couldn’t kick, got beat at his near post. 
bad positioning, he is no way an improvement on loach 

18 minutes ago, norwichram said:

glad that LR pontes out the he was disappointed that we were to happy to play nonsense side passes across the back line and didn’t show enough bravery to show what a good set of players we have by taking more risks and showing more attacking intent 

hope Louis gets more games to show more than he did tonight 

You can still have an opinion on a game by game basis otherwise what's the point of this forum. 

If the pattern still continues after ten or more games then as another poster has said it adds more credence to those observations made upto then but nevertheless one still can comment on individual games good, bad or indifferent.

We were pretty crap in the game tonight, think that's a fair comment just, as we were good in the previous two games. 

Just find some of the comments a little ott when the words moaning are being used, all I read is folks speaking their mind.

friendlies are glorified training sessions, you shouldn’t get excited or worried about any result or performance.

often players are so knackered from all the training anyway they can’t perform to a good standard. 

the game before the season starts is normally a good gauge of where you are. I remember that year Sunderland went down to league one they lost 5-0 to Celtic on the final pre season game.

1 hour ago, WestLondonRam said:

Wildsmith? Really 

I honestly thought he was the worst player on the pitch. Couldn’t kick, got beat at his near post. 
bad positioning, he is no way an improvement on loach 

I think we need another goalkeeper to start or at least compete for no 1 position

In Lampard's preseason, we beat both Southampton and Wolves and played really well. Then, in the first game against Reading, we were utterly dreadful but fluked a win. We then got completely outclassed and mullered by Leeds at home. It took quite a few games to settle down iirc. 

That's why you can't draw too many conclusions from tonight, except that whatever system we play, we have to pass the ball better and create more chances. 

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

In Lampard's preseason, we beat both Southampton and Wolves and played really well. Then, in the first game against Reading, we were utterly dreadful but fluked a win. We then got completely outclassed and mullered by Leeds at home. It took quite a few games to settle down iirc. 

That's why you can't draw too many conclusions from tonight, except that whatever system we play, we have to pass the ball better and create more chances. 

In the promotion season under TBE we played pretty well in the friendlies only to be lying 21st after 9games with some less than glorious performances including a   3 - 0 kicking at Wolves. Suddenly came together though didn't it. Point is there were wholesale changes in the squad from the previous year and they took time to gel., but once they did and with the addition of Igor it went more than right. 

Couldn't really see far side of the pitch to tell what was going on in the Rams TV coverage. 

Near side thought a couple of promising moments between nml and odoroh first half. Roberts 2nd half did a couple of driving runs but didn't link as well with barkhuizen. 

First half the long passes to try to beat the press were very inaccurate. And there was far too big a gap between forward and midfield so we won no second balls. 

2nd half we seemed able to play through them more but chance creation was nil. 

We don't seem to have a wide left forward. 

Sibley didn't look like a 10. Maybe just a bad day but dribbled into trouble. 

No sign of the passing triangles. 

For me the only players to look anything like were the RB, Curtis and Barks when he came on.

Very much a reality check and a clear indication of what we will be up against.

Agree that kicking from GK was very poor indeed. Decision making and final ball by most was all too often shocking.

Only one game but its clear that if teams sit off us (Hetha B) we will do well. If teams get in our face it will be tricky to put it mildly.

Going to take time to find our feet to work a style if play and get the best out of the likes if Collins.

Liked the look of the young LB. I can see him being an asset as they season goes on. If Fozzy was playing for a contract he will be waiting a good while longer

Was at the game last night. Fantastic support as usual. It looked to me like we outnumbered the home fans! 

Regarding the game, it was pretty poor.

A few notes:

Wilsmith did well, kicking occasionally wayward but I can put up with that. Great save before half time when they should have made it 2 nill.

Sibley, mendez lang, kwaku, Thompson, cashin played decent.

Hourihanne had a bit of a mare with his normally great passing. Still, he was attempting to make things happen.

Others didn't have much of an impact. 

Was not great last night and think Cashin was too easily beaten when one on one including a few headers this is why i'd prefer Davies and Chester or Stearman and not just based off of one performance, Cashin is a good player but his lack of pace and height is evident sometimes ...just my opinion 

6 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Cashin looked sluggish last night

LR said he worked them really hard on Monday in the heat. Then they travelled to Stevenage and played in the heat as it was. Perhaps, as someone else alluded to (sorry, can’t remember who it was) the players are being worked really hard to try and catch up with other teams who started pre-season well ahead of us. If it works but a sluggish/poor performance last night is the price we have to pay then so be it. 

I was disappointed with last night (I always want the team representing Derby to win even if it’s the dinner ladies playing a 5 aside friendly ?) but, it was another physical work out and it was against a team that play the kind of football we’re likely to face so hopefully we will have learned a lot from the experience. The fact Stevenage are so advanced in the pre-season preparation was a good thing. We wouldn’t have learned much if it had also been one of their early friendlies. If LR has arranged another friendly then I hope it’s against a similar type of team.