What is the point of fancy dress at sporting events?

Jimbo Ram

46 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

There is no point to fancy dress under any circumstances.

You not been to Ally Pally for the darts? Try that and I suggest you may change your mind. Banging night out, all in good spirits, with pretty much everyone dressed as some obscure character as the other.

19 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Not a chance. 

You should try a Butlins weekender mate. If you can’t appreciate the good vibes and enjoy yourself, then sad to report that it’s you that’s the problem, not fancy dress Mr Meldrew. 

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

You should try a Butlins weekender mate. If you can’t appreciate the good vibes and enjoy yourself, then sad to report that it’s you that’s the problem, not fancy dress Mr Meldrew. 

I’ve been, I was told I’d be the only one without fancy dress and would therefore feel more self conscious than I would wearing fancy dress.

There were loads without the stupid attire.  I was tripping up over hoovers that sad lads had brought with them as props for their Freddie Mercury “i want to break free” trans moustachioed get up.  I bet they all thought they’d be the only one there.

I went as a bloke having a mid life crisis, I think I pulled it off.

and the look ?

Maybe 25 years ago if you saw someone at the cricket in a Pink Panther outfit you might have smiled. Now? Just don’t get it. Why do you have to dress up as a waiter or the Incredible Hulk to have a fun day out? Bizarre to say the least…..

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

I think I'd rather do anything else.

The problem for me is that fancy dress is ostentatious 'fun'. There seems to be an assumption amongst those that like it is that if you don't like it, you are a miserable sod. It's the same with dancing, making lots of happy noises, singing at football etc. Some of those that do it think it's the only way to enjoy yourself. And if you don't, you must be a) a miserable sod and b) incapable of having 'fun'.

'Vibes' at large, crowded, noisy events are never good for me. So call me all the names you want (though I'm not sure why you did that), I don't consider myself a miserable sod. Just someone who has fun quietly.

5 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I think I'd rather do anything else.

The problem for me is that fancy dress is ostentatious 'fun'. There seems to be an assumption amongst those that like it is that if you don't like it, you are a miserable sod. It's the same with dancing, making lots of happy noises, singing at football etc. Some of those that do it think it's the only way to enjoy yourself. And if you don't, you must be a) a miserable sod and b) incapable of having 'fun'.

'Vibes' at large, crowded, noisy events are never good for me. So call me all the names you want (though I'm not sure why you did that), I don't consider myself a miserable sod. Just someone who has fun quietly.

It's part of the overtake of pretty much any event by 'ladism'.  As in, some people appear to be enjoying themselves, let's get stuck in, dress up and turn up in large groups, get smashed and sing footy songs. Great. The darts back at Circus Tavern was brilliant, there was plenty of beer, loads of chants about darts players (who'd have thunk it?) but it was actually about the darts....

Don't get me started on the cricket!

Fancy dress is the even less subtle, off-the-clock cousin of brightly coloured socks, novelty ties and patterned handkerchiefs.

It screams "I have no jokes to tell, so I've decided to come as one so at least we can laugh about something".

What was it Jacqui Abbott sang about khaki personality and red underwear?

Edited by JoetheRam

2 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Fancy dress is the even less subtle, off-the-clock cousin of brightly coloured socks, novelty ties and patterned handkerchiefs.

It screams "I have no jokes to tell, so I've decided to come as one so at least we can laugh about something".

What was it Jacqui Abbott sang about khaki personality and red underwear?

I liken it as a visual version of the phrase "Ooh, stick with me, kiddo.  You'll have a blast.  I'm crazy, me"!

#cringe!

33 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Do they want us to laugh at them, smile or just say 'what a twa*'???????

I'll not have a pop at those who want to have a good day, Not my cup of tea tho.

I'm more like Trigger, Del and Rodders dress up as Batman and Robin go to a wake as they though it was fancy dress, Trigger is there in a Black Suit and Tie, When asked what he's come dressed as the reply was...A Chauffer ?.

I did actually go to one fancy dress party but I needed a girl to go with, Couldn't get one to go with me, So I bought a Turtles shell and strapped it to my back...on entering the party I was refused as it was only couples allowed, But I said I'm with a girl, Where is she he asked, On my back, What's that...I said that's Michelle.

Its a great British tradition going in fancy dress to events.

We need to embrace British culture.

Mad dogs and English men go out in the the midday sun.

We are renowned throughout the world for being eccentric and different let it continue we need more fun in the world.