What is the point of fancy dress at sporting events?

Jimbo Ram

42 minutes ago, cstand said:

Its a great British tradition going in fancy dress to events.

We need to embrace British culture.

Mad dogs and English men go out in the the midday sun.

We are renowned throughout the world for being eccentric and different let it continue we need more fun in the world.

Fancy dress originated in Italy I believe so not a British custom….thank God…..you embrace it if you like….

6 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I'll not have a pop at those who want to have a good day, Not my cup of tea tho.

I'm more like Trigger, Del and Rodders dress up as Batman and Robin go to a wake as they though it was fancy dress, Trigger is there in a Black Suit and Tie, When asked what he's come dressed as the reply was...A Chauffer ?.

I did actually go to one fancy dress party but I needed a girl to go with, Couldn't get one to go with me, So I bought a Turtles shell and strapped it to my back...on entering the party I was refused as it was only couples allowed, But I said I'm with a girl, Where is she he asked, On my back, What's that...I said that's Michelle.

If ever there was cause to bring back the groan emoji, this post is it.

Had to give it a like, instead.

20 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Fancy dress originated in Italy I believe so not a British custom….thank God…..you embrace it if you like….

Not sure where you going with this  …… does it really matter it’s all about having fun.

If British people embrace another nations sense of having fun surely it’s a good thing?

Edited by cstand

Fancy dress parties... aka "My worst nightmare"... Only been roped into going once in almost 60 years... I'm Fred, Muckerette is Wilma.  She dyes her hair orange.  I carry a club.  Muckerette made both of our dresses... yep, that's right... I'm in a tiger-skin dress!

A/  We looked fantastic, but didn't win... someone dressed in a tinfoil covered cardboard box won, despite Muckerette's undoubted seamstress skills and effort!
B/  The main event wasn't as bad as I feared, helped by the fact we ran out of the front door straight into the taxi, that then took us to the door of the do... and we drank a lot!
C/  Have you ever tried walking down Friargate/Wardwick/Tenant St/Moreledge etc at 1:30am... in a dress... carrying a plastic club... with your orange-haired spouse clinging to your arm... back when Friargate/Wardwick/Tenant St/Moreledge was still extremely popular and still extremely full of pissed up jolly-makers!
Out of the 2,738 comments received on that 20min walk (If only I was capable of walking faster!), not one was complimentary, not one was civil, and not one was witty!

If I'd have had my mate Barney with me, I swear I'd have decked each and every one of 'em!  B45t4rd5!  

Never again!

Edited by Mucker1884

3 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Fancy dress parties... aka "My worst nightmare"... Only been roped into going once in almost 60 years... I'm Fred, Muckerette is Wilma.  She dyes her hair orange.  I carry a club.  Muckerette made both of our dresses... yep, that's right... I'm in a tiger-skin dress!

A/  We looked fantastic, but didn't win... someone dressed in a tinfoil covered cardboard box won, despite Muckerette's undoubted seamstress skills and effort!
B/  The main event wasn't as bad as I feared, helped by the fact we ran out of the front door straight into the taxi, that then took us to the door of the do... and we drank a lot!
C/  Have you ever tried walking down Friargate/Wardwick/Tenant St/Moreledge etc at 1:30am... in a dress... carrying a plastic club... with your orange-haired spouse clinging to your arm... back when Friargate/Wardwick/Tenant St/Moreledge was still extremely popular and still extremely full of pissed up jolly-makers!
Out of the 2,738 comments received on that 20min walk (If only I was capable of walking faster!), not one was complimentary, not one was civil, and not one was witty!

If I'd have had my mate Barney with me, I swear I'd have decked each and every one of 'em!  B45t4rd5!  

Never again!

Not quite fancy dress, but a mate of mine once broke down on his way back from a swingers party. 

When the RAC pulled up, his missus refused to deal with the mechanic, understandably so as she was dressed as a tart. 

He had to do the explaining, as he was dressed simply as a cowboy. 

He couldn't turn his back to the rescuer though, seeing as he was wearing backless chaps.

I recall (vaguely) going to the Derby Arts Ball in 1965 at Elvaston Castle, when it was still private. The music was from Spencer Davis Group before “Keep on Running” . And Stevie Winward stole my girlfriend. Anyway, I went dressed as a knight in armour. Real metal. The visor had broken and was stuck in the down position so had to drink through a straw. Whenever I wanted a pee, I couldn’t get everything off in time so just peed down my armoured legs. The shoes became very squelchy and I lost half a stone in sweat. 

My only other venture in fancy dress was a few years ago at a New Year’s Eve party and I couldn’t be arsed to dress up so dipped my little finger in gold paint and went as Goldfinger. A lot less bother.

1 hour ago, cstand said:

Not sure where you going with this  …… does it really matter it’s all about having fun.

If British people embrace another nations sense of having fun surely it’s a good thing?

I just don’t get it, entitled to my opinion, I started the thread….

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I just don’t get it, entitled to my opinion, I started the thread….

Just because you stArted the thread does not mean you are right as for people replying.

Just be happy we have we free speech in this country 

Edited by cstand

28 minutes ago, cstand said:

Just because you stArted the thread does not mean you are right as for people replying.

Just be happy we have we free speech in this country 

What are you going on about ? If you want to dress up in a Pink Panther outfit in the soaring heat at the cricket feel free to do so…..but you won’t get a laugh out of me if that is the aim, then as I said, I am not sure what the aim is …

What are you going on about ? If you want to dress up in a Pink Panther outfit in the soaring heat at the cricket feel free to do so…..but you won’t get a laugh out of me if that is the aim, then as I said, I am not sure what the aim is …

There is no way I would get dressed up in fancy dress too old in this heat but if other people want  to fair play.

Apologies messed up my reply if people want to dress up and not annoy other people then it’s fine by me