New signings, who will be first...and next?

RoyMac5

7 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

I'd be all over Todd Kane for the right back slot, not wanted at Coventry to cut their wage bill. Decent age at 28 (soon to be 29), lots of experience at Championship level. Definitely more of an attacking full back like Byrne was to get those crosses in for the strikers. With Coventry wanting him gone, perhaps a freebie deal like Collins was with Cardiff. Looking on Twitter it seems like Oxford fans think they're signing him so he's obviously open to dropping down a league.

No comment on whether Todd Kane is a suitable suggestion, but with any RB signing now though you've got to ask whether they're going to be capable of performing (or learning) the Inverted Full back role.

Not a bloody clue how I'd actually go about making that judgement though, I have no idea which players would be suitable and which wouldn't but it probably rules out quite a few players we might otherwise think of as suitable options.

7 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

No comment on whether Todd Kane is a suitable suggestion, but with any RB signing now though you've got to ask whether they're going to be capable of performing (or learning) the Inverted Full back role.

Not a bloody clue how I'd actually go about making that judgement though, I have no idea which players would be suitable and which wouldn't but it probably rules out quite a few players we might otherwise think of as suitable options.

Going back to the fullback topic with i-Ram a while back, The fullback position is the easiest to fill, Run up and down the channels right and left back, Keep your eyes on their attacking players, Try and deliver a good cross, Tackle and head the ball.

Now with all this you also have to be pretty fit in the game, Be aware with the other defenders and keeper, It aint rocket science but a position that can be very rewarding if done right...ie doing it properly and not filling it with a player that moved from their more favourable position.

I doubt that a 66 year would fit the criteria now tho ?

2 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Going back to the fullback topic with i-Ram a while back, The fullback position is the easiest to fill, Run up and down the channels right and left back, Keep your eyes on their attacking players, Try and deliver a good cross, Tackle and head the ball.

Now with all this you also have to be pretty fit in the game, Be aware with the other defenders and keeper, It aint rocket science but a position that can be very rewarding if done right...ie doing it properly and not filling it with a player that moved from their more favourable position.

I doubt that a 66 year would fit the criteria now tho ?

The point is, we aren't asking out fullbacks to do that.  Roberts basically played in central midfield alongside Bird on Saturday.  Knight was bit more of an orthodox fullback, getting forward and linking up with NML, but he still tucked in at times as well.  We need intelligent players who can pass, more than guys that will just run up and down the flanks all game.

9 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The point is, we aren't asking out fullbacks to do that.  Roberts basically played in central midfield alongside Bird on Saturday.  Knight was bit more of an orthodox fullback, getting forward and linking up with NML, but he still tucked in at times as well.  We need intelligent players who can pass, more than guys that will just run up and down the flanks all game.

This is true of the last game, but do we think that's because we are going with this tactic for the whole season, or is that because Roberts and Knight aren't suited to the marauding wingback style that is more prevalent these days?

Just now, roboto said:

This is true of the last game, but do we think that's because we are going with this tactic for the whole season, or is that because Roberts and Knight aren't suited to the marauding wingback style that is more prevalent these days?

I think it's a deliberate tactical choice, to try and help us break the lines a bit more.  Basically to give us another option or 2 available to receive passes beyond the opposition's high-press.

55 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I actually thought that was a given with being a pro footballer...my bad for not posting that ?

Just got back from the Burger van after chatting with Beryl (not only ITK but makes a cracking mug of Yorkshire tea). She tells me that Oko Flex deal is close, just sorting out the loose ends and he will come in on loan. Some competition for Joseph has complicated matters, Sheff Wed in for him too so might take more time, LR still interested. Frank unsure if he wants Cannon to join Dobbin or not at the Rams, so watch this space. McDonald's injury is delaying the decision on whether he comes in or not but she understands that LR has some alternative options he is looking at, doesn't want to rush and bring the wrong players in, prepared to bide his time to get the right additions. Potential for a couple of exciting loans from the Prem, one from Brighton, including a new right back. Exciting times ahead for us Rams fans......

1 hour ago, roboto said:

We had Byrne playing that role for the second half of last season. In preseason, Roberts and whoever was RB was playing that role too. 

9 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Just got back from the Burger van after chatting with Beryl (not only ITK but makes a cracking mug of Yorkshire tea). She tells me that Oko Flex deal is close, just sorting out the loose ends and he will come in on loan. Some competition for Joseph has complicated matters, Sheff Wed in for him too so might take more time, LR still interested. Frank unsure if he wants Cannon to join Dobbin or not at the Rams, so watch this space. McDonald's injury is delaying the decision on whether he comes in or not but she understands that LR has some alternative options he is looking at, doesn't want to rush and bring the wrong players in, prepared to bide his time to get the right additions. Potential for a couple of exciting loans from the Prem, one from Brighton, including a new right back. Exciting times ahead for us Rams fans......

Wake Up Surprise GIF by Working Title

11 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

And it's that easy, I for one believe you ?

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Beryl’s Baps?

11 minutes ago, Oldben said:

In replacing bryne how about Cyrus Christie, Renaldo Torraj, Lewis Gibson, Julian Jeanvier, Lars Dendoncker, Martin Kelly

It is slim pickings at the moment, but I hope the recruitment team can pull a rabbit from the hat somewhere.

I had a check in on the players you've listed.

Christie - Not again for me. Although might be the best of a bad bunch.

Torraj - Only 18, think we have our young RB sorted with Oduroh

Gibson - Left footed apparently, so wouldn't be suited to RB

Jeanvier - Another centre back, but he also signed for Auxerre last month

Dendoncker - Appears to only played 6 games while on loan at St. Johnstone last season and got sent back after only half of the loan period.

14 minutes ago, roboto said:

It is slim pickings at the moment, but I hope the recruitment team can pull a rabbit from the hat somewhere.

Dendoncker - Appears to only played 6 games while on loan at St. Johnstone last season and got sent back after only half of the loan period.

Kelly- barely played any first team games in a year and a half.

33 minutes ago, roboto said:

As I said earlier, Todd Kane is wanted out by Coventry and Oxford fans reckon he's joining them. Surely we can beat them to him, attacking right back, good age and experience.