New signings, who will be first...and next?

RoyMac5

Just now, europia said:

Talk of signing the likes of Hourianne seemed a bit fanciful to me. Excellent player, no question. However, with the clubs restricted finances, how could we afford such luxury? 

Anyone else goes in for him can offer better than us, would be very surprised if we were able to land him 

26 minutes ago, Topram said:

Anyone else goes in for him can offer better than us, would be very surprised if we were able to land him 

Some other clubs can offer better contractual terms than us, but not all from what’s being reported in the press. 
Other factors could come into play also, the project on offer might appeal to certain players, guaranteed first team football, facilities, crowd etc. I know the cynical view to take is players will go wherever they can be paid the most but it’s definitely not as straightforward as that. Could something like location come into play for Hourihane, has he got family based into he midlands from his time at Villa?
Guess we just have to wait and see over the next few days.  

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Some other clubs can offer better contractual terms than us, but not all from what’s being reported in the press. 
Other factors could come into play also, the project on offer might appeal to certain players, guaranteed first team football, facilities, crowd etc. I know the cynical view to take is players will go wherever they can be paid the most but it’s definitely not as straightforward as that. Could something like location come into play for Hourihane, has he got family based into he midlands from his time at Villa?

True, I guess it's the players agents job to find the best deal but that isn't what may appeal most to the player

Edited by SamUltraRam

18 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Very true. I think location definitely comes into the equation when players have families and routes in an area ect 

For McGoldrick it does seem to be money (Boro) vs location (us). Nottingham lad, would think he is still local especially being with Sheff Utd for a few years, so at his age does he really need that extra few grand a week or is family time more important ??‍♂️

Similar could be said for Hourihane but location wise Huddersfield isnt going to be too much of a commute.

8 hours ago, 24Charlie said:

No problem with the lad going to Italy. It’s about leaving us with nothing from our investment in him. As I said I’d of liked to see him give us a season or at least have signed a contract so someone had to pay us something. But not not young Ebosele. It’s so long thanks for all the investment and putting my profile out there. Pardon? Help DCFC out because they’re broke? No chance I’m off.

Some of these players who are off might find it hard to work out whether they felt loyalty more to Rooney, or to the club 

1 hour ago, SamUltraRam said:

True, I guess it's the players agents job to find the best deal but that isn't what may appeal most to the player

But once the agent has identified the best money deal, his next objective is to persuade the player it’s the best career move 

8 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I can’t remember who I’ve heard said - a former player - and he said all of those things come into play, especially as they get a bit older.  And those with kids think about schools, up rooting the family, etc.  Hourihane will have made a good living so far, so may be willing to accept lesser pay when all other factors are considered.

I’m still a bit unsure about this one.  Part of me worries about the salary but the counter argument is we are limited in terms of our restrictions exiting administration.  I guess we’re limited on overall wage bill and maximum wage we can pay.  I also worry a little bit about taking something away from the spirit of last season - not saying he’s a bad apple!!  Could Sibley do the job or a hungry player from lower down the leagues?

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

57 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I can’t remember who I’ve heard said - a former player - and he said all of those things come into play, especially as they get a bit older.  And those with kids think about schools, up rooting the family, etc.  Hourihane will have made a good living so far, so may be willing to accept lesser pay when all other factors are considered.

I’m still a bit unsure about this one.  Part of me worries about the salary but the counter argument is we are limited in terms of our restrictions exiting administration.  I guess we’re limited on overall wage bill and maximum wage we can pay.  I also worry a little bit about taking something away from the spirit of last season - not saying he’s a bad apple!!  Could Sibley do the job or a hungry player from lower down the leagues?

Having played at Barnsley, Villa and Sheffield United I suspect he is living around the South Yorkshire region, could even be north Derbyshire. He would be a certain starter if it was based on taking set pieces because we seriously struggle with that.

9 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

For McGoldrick it does seem to be money (Boro) vs location (us). Nottingham lad, would think he is still local especially being with Sheff Utd for a few years, so at his age does he really need that extra few grand a week or is family time more important ??‍♂️

Similar could be said for Hourihane but location wise Huddersfield isnt going to be too much of a commute.

Surely for both of them it could also be Championship football v League 1 football.