Krystian Bielik - Joined Birmingham on a 3 year deal

DCFC1388

I'd put good money that he's available on a free or a minimal fee at the very best. It's a difficult one - we won't really want to negotiate a contract termination as we'd hope someone comes in for him so it might be a waiting game.

Everyone knows we can't afford to keep him so it's basically a fire sale. At least he got through a season injury free so you'd hope someone would be interested but he has to be gone in the summer. That should free up some funds for transfers too because no doubt his numbers are in the Business Plan we're working to with the EFL but his time here is done. The last remnant of reckless spending.

2 hours ago, Raich Carter said:

I'd put good money that he's available on a free or a minimal fee at the very best. It's a difficult one - we won't really want to negotiate a contract termination as we'd hope someone comes in for him so it might be a waiting game.

Everyone knows we can't afford to keep him so it's basically a fire sale. At least he got through a season injury free so you'd hope someone would be interested but he has to be gone in the summer. That should free up some funds for transfers too because no doubt his numbers are in the Business Plan we're working to with the EFL but his time here is done. The last remnant of reckless spending.

This seems baselessly overly-pessimistic. What if multiple clubs bid for him- a scenario as simple and realistic as that would instantly mean we see more than a ''minimal fee at the very best'' wouldn't it?

Clubs will use our upper wage limit as a bargaining chip to try and lower the asking price, but your comment implies we'd be struggling to find willing suitors - that bit I struggle to see, as he's proved himself a strong CDM at Championship-level who would be available cheaper than others due to his situation...

The difference between now and 12 months ago is he’s played pretty much a full season and a World Cup, last season he’d barely played a game in 2 years so no wonder we couldn’t sell him or get a decent loan fee. It’s not a fire sale situation, we can afford him, but the player doesn’t want to play in League one and only has a year left, that’s the negative which means we will probably have to accept a lower fee but we should be able to get something reasonable, though we’d probably need more than one club to show interest.

2 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

How much do we still owe Arsenal? I assume any saving on wages if we offload him will be offset by ongoing payments to Arsenal?

If we don't sell him we still pay Arsenal. It has no bearing on whether we sell him or not. 

It'll be about £1.5m though

On 09/05/2023 at 21:24, Ghost of Clough said:

If we don't sell him we still pay Arsenal. It has no bearing on whether we sell him or not. 

It'll be about £1.5m though

Will they not have been a football creditor and paid/settled during the de administration time ?

42 minutes ago, jono said:

Will they not have been a football creditor and paid/settled during the de administration time ?

Don't believe so.  In the real world yes.  But we would have had too ensure we had a plan going forward to clear any football related transfers on due date to retain membership.  We still owe 2.5 mill for yhat fella playing non league in the States as well.  As I understood it, this will have to be cleared as Poznan filed a complaint, before we can pay cash for anyone else. 

14 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

No. Football creditors are only paid when the original payment became due. Any deferred payments would have been paid in full.

I seem to remember Arsenal helped  us by deferring a due payment while we were still in admin, but that was due so presumably it did get paid by DC when things were normalised ? Perhaps we don’t owe quite as much as we think ? (He says hopefully 🤣)

On 09/05/2023 at 15:27, YorkshireRam said:

This seems baselessly overly-pessimistic. What if multiple clubs bid for him- a scenario as simple and realistic as that would instantly mean we see more than a ''minimal fee at the very best'' wouldn't it?

Clubs will use our upper wage limit as a bargaining chip to try and lower the asking price, but your comment implies we'd be struggling to find willing suitors - that bit I struggle to see, as he's proved himself a strong CDM at Championship-level who would be available cheaper than others due to his situation...

The key question there is 'if'. To some he looks an injury prone Championship player on £25k+ pw - I would imagine there are more appealing options out there. That's the basis of my post. 

To others, he appears to be a superstar with a proven track record and therefore worth the £10m we paid for him. That's baseless.

On 08/05/2023 at 14:32, hintonsboots said:

I was meaning who identified him as a sensible signing for the price at the time ? I can’t remember who was head of recruitment? Mel probably. 

Head of recruitment at the time was Steve McClarens son I think. Mels son also had some involvement in scouting/recruitment at the time.

17 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Head of recruitment at the time was Steve McClarens son I think. Mels son also had some involvement in scouting/recruitment at the time.

Who negotiated the price though? Was it somewhat like when we signed Mr 'he's available' Bradley Johnson?

I hope we keep him, if he is on 20,000 pw it is the equivalent of buying a £500,000 player, with fees and wages. I'd even be tempted to offer him an extension if he goes to 10,000 pw. Doubt he'll take it though.

If someone bids £1-2m he's gone.

59 minutes ago, Beetle said:

I hope we keep him, if he is on 20,000 pw it is the equivalent of buying a £500,000 player, with fees and wages. I'd even be tempted to offer him an extension if he goes to 10,000 pw. Doubt he'll take it though.

If someone bids £1-2m he's gone.

Think the issue is though it’s three players on 7k Which gets you a good player in league one.

We still have a total wage bill limit.

id love him to stay but I don’t see how.

50 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Think the issue is though it’s three players on 7k Which gets you a good player in league one.

We still have a total wage bill limit.

id love him to stay but I don’t see how.

The issue is surely it's hard to bring quality to League One. For me the failure of our recruitment over recent seasons is it has prioritized quantity over quality, rarely bringing in a player who would demonstrably improve the team, instead just another body to add to the squad. To get out of this division we need better players than the other top teams. If Bielik stays then he would be one of those players. It would be a good start.

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

The issue is surely it's hard to bring quality to League One. For me the failure of our recruitment over recent seasons is it has prioritized quantity over quality, rarely bringing in a player who would demonstrably improve the team, instead just another body to add to the squad. To get out of this division we need better players than the other top teams. If Bielik stays then he would be one of those players. It would be a good start.

That hasn't really been the case since Lampard left. 3 permanent signings in 19/20, 6 in 20/21 and 5 in 21/22. 28 first team players left in that same 3 year period.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That hasn't really been the case since Lampard left. 3 permanent signings in 19/20, 6 in 20/21 and 5 in 21/22. 28 first team players left in that same 3 year period.

Surely because we've been embargoed so prevented from bringing in the bodies in the way we've become accustomed?

24 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Our recruitment over the last few seasons has been compromised by very difficult circumstances and despite that I would say last summer’s recruitment did add players who improved the overall team.
A fit and firing Bielik would no doubt be great to have in the side, but if his sale and wages could pay for 3 good players at this level I’d rather see that. 3 good players strengthens the whole side more than a potentially very good but injury prone one.

The position we’re in now with more time and resource (both in terms of staff and budget) for recruitment should see us add the appropriate quality and in the right quantity. 

The man clearly doesn't want to play for DCFC or in league1, His only offer that we knew about was a loan to Birmingham, His Polish national team manager said he needs to play at a higher level to be chosen for the national team for the WC.

How many are going to be knocking on PPs door to sign him for £1million let alone £2million, Worse case scenario for Beilik is he stays here...that'll not happen, Does PW even want him here...having someone who's on a reported £20k a week will not be good for other players moral imo.

Was Beilik even at Moor Farm when PW did his player interviews, Telling 3...sorry but I'm letting you go and the others...I want you here, But you're going to have to train harder, If you don't want to be here...then by all means Adios.

Beilik for me is yesterdays man