Serial Whingers Notts Forest playtime, which we simply cannot accept.

REDCAR

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

So we're back at the old argument, of how do you equate what constitutes a football club being thought of as being a bigger club than another club. 

Is it purely down to where a club presently sits in the league?

Their record of achievements and do we use what the club as achieved over the last 5,10,20,50 years or their entire history?

Should it be determined on how big their fan base is? The size of their stadium?

Probably a mix of everything but fanbase and history are big factors. Everyone has their own criteria of course. It is purely subjective.

Edited by Rammy03

The size of the club historically is irrelevant though.

Derby and Forest are both historically bigger clubs than Brighton. And with bigger fanbases.

But in today’s footballing world, we all have the same ceiling. A potential season inside the top six, a cup win and a European adventure.

Swansea had that, and now they are back in tier 2. Leicester are heading that way.

So all the historical success counts for nothing really when it comes to player/manager decisions.

If offered the same contract by all clubs, only a fool would currently choose Forest or Derby over Brighton.

Brighton are miles ahead and like I mentioned, we all now have the same ceiling. 

I don't think that any manager or player will look at a club's distant past. They will be thinking of the next 1, 2, maybe 5 years. The very recent past should serve as a guide as to where each of the clubs may be within that timeframe. Looking at Brighton, they are an established (recent) Premier club. If they are run correctly they should at least stay that way. Forest have just been promoted. Recent history shows that most clubs yo-yo for a few seasons before either becoming established or fading away. I'm sure Cooper thinks that he can keep Forest up, but he will also think that he can take Brighton to the next level and that would be much sooner than he could achieve with Forest.

23 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The size of the club historically is irrelevant though.

Derby and Forest are both historically bigger clubs than Brighton. And with bigger fanbases.

But in today’s footballing world, we all have the same ceiling. A potential season inside the top six, a cup win and a European adventure.

Swansea had that, and now they are back in tier 2. Leicester are heading that way.

So all the historical success counts for nothing really when it comes to player/manager decisions.

If offered the same contract by all clubs, only a fool would currently choose Forest or Derby over Brighton.

Brighton are miles ahead and like I mentioned, we all now have the same ceiling. 

Brighton are miles ahead of us no doubt but are they really miles ahead of Forest?

Let's not get carried away, a few losses for Brighton and they're back in a relegation scrap again as they have been every season prior to the last. They have been raided of their manager, coaches and recruitment team who have done exceptionally well for that club. They are a well run club and I suspect that will continue but at the same time they know their limits.

Cooper currently is enjoying the job at Forest and will back himself to surpass Brighton in the coming seasons. 

14 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Brighton are miles ahead of us no doubt but are they really miles ahead of Forest?

Let's not get carried away, a few losses for Brighton and they're back in a relegation scrap again as they have been every season prior to the last. They have been raided of their manager, coaches and recruitment team who have done exceptionally well for that club. They are a well run club and I suspect that will continue but at the same time they know their limits.

Cooper currently is enjoying the job at Forest and will back himself to surpass Brighton in the coming seasons. 

Brighton are miles ahead on and off the pitch.

Their stadium, facilities and organization (especially recruitment) is top notch.

On the pitch they have better players in every position. 

I could be wrong, but Forest will be a Championship club again next season.

Brighton will be safely midtable, probably top half.

8 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Brighton are miles ahead on and off the pitch.

Their stadium, facilities and organization (especially recruitment) is top notch.

On the pitch they have better players in every position. 

I could be wrong, but Forest will be a Championship club again next season.

Brighton will be safely midtable, probably top half.

Not sure about probably top half. They've looked really good this season but how much of it was down to the work of Potter? We will find out soon enough. They are ahead of Forest there's no doubt about that but they're not 'miles' ahead. It won't take much for them to go back into the bottom half again. 

I agree I think Forest will go down but as I've said Cooper won't think that. He will back himself and he's clearly invested in the so called 'project' at Forest which will aim to overtake clubs like Brighton before long. I don't think it will happen mind but Cooper and the board at Forest will believe in it. I'd be amazed if he left to go to Brighton.

If the same scenario happened next year, with Forest in the championship of course. Anyone would want to go to Brighton to be a manager in the premier league. People don’t care about history at that point, they just want to be working in the best league in the world and will manage any old club (even Leeds) for that opportunity. 

tons of clubs outside the premier league have richer histories than Brighton and could be called bigger. But premier league club vs any other club, you’re always going to pick premier league. Just like you’d pick a champions league club over a premier league club (hence potters move). 

it’s a simple equation really. 

this season, it’s a slightly more difficult decision, as they are both premier league clubs. But Cooper’s a bloody fool if he thinks Forest will still be a premier league club next season. Moving to Brighton would be a great move for him. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Jones couldn't handle the step up to Stoke, never mind an even bigger step up to the PL with Brighton.
Martin had a 37.5 win % at MK Dons with a +2 GD, and has done even worse at Swansea with 33.9% and -11 GD

For comparison, Nigel Clough won 33.5% of games with us.

Swansea fans aren't exactly loving him either, although the board are also not massively popular it has to be said.

4 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

One club pleased about the postponed fixtures is the Red Dogs, damaging defeat to Bournemouth, Leeds have been good at Elland Road, another defeat in coming and the pressure mounts. Now he has an extra week to work on integrating his squad of 176 players.

An extra week for Cooper to make a step up in his managerial career by moving to Brighton