Players that were only decent at Derby

roboto

To counter the other thread full of duff signings. I thought I'd create this one to celebrate players that were perfect for us, but not much cop, or didn't perform to the same level elsewhere. I suspect this list won't be as full as the other thread, but hopefully some good memories to be had while we wait for the carrier pigeon to deliver those signed contracts.

For me there's a few recent ones I can think of to kick it off:

Harry Wilson - not had the same impact at other clubs like he did with us that play-off season.
George Thorne - We had the best out of him before the unfortunate injuries ruined what should've been an amazing career ?
Craig Bryson - Did alright at Killy against regularly poor opposition, but was a beast for us consistently

There's got to be more that you guys can think of.

2 minutes ago, roboto said:

To counter the other thread full of duff signings. I thought I'd create this one to celebrate players that were perfect for us, but not much cop, or didn't perform to the same level elsewhere. I suspect this list won't be as full as the other thread, but hopefully some good memories to be had while we wait for the carrier pigeon to deliver those signed contracts.

For me there's a few recent ones I can think of to kick it off:

Harry Wilson - not had the same impact at other clubs like he did with us that play-off season.
George Thorne - We had the best out of him before the unfortunate injuries ruined what should've been an amazing career ?
Craig Bryson - Did alright at Killy against regularly poor opposition, but was a beast for us consistently

There's got to be more that you guys can think of.

Wilson has been brilliant for Fulham this year 

Ikechi Anya has done nothing since leaving Derby (apart from counting his money).

Stimac and Wanchope didn't shake the earth at West Ham or, in Paulo's case, at Citeh.

Chris Martin ....oh wait. Still scoring goals.

More controversial: Will Highes hasn't really hit the heights that many expected.

Less controversial: Jeff Hendrick has only had an "ok" career.

Edited by IslandExile

1 minute ago, Topram said:

Allow it. ? 

I think he's done alright, but not looked special like he did for us in that season. We'll see if they stick with him for the Prem campaign or maybe get someone in ahead of him.

6 minutes ago, roboto said:

Allow it. ? 

I think he's done alright, but not looked special like he did for us in that season. We'll see if they stick with him for the Prem campaign or maybe get someone in ahead of him.

Hot take here, but I think it’s easy to conflate spectacular goals with spectacular performances. Wilson is incredibly gifted in striking a ball, but average in many other regards and would often drift in and out of games. The spectacular players were Tomori and Mount, without whom we would’ve struggled to finish in the top half.

13 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Ikechi Anya has done nothing since leaving Derby (apart from counting his money).

Stimac and Wanchope didn't shake the earth at West Ham or, in Paulo's case, at Citeh.

Chris Martin ....oh wait. Still scoring goals.

More controversial: Will Highes hasn't really hit the heights that many expected.

Less controversial: Jeff Hendrick has only had an "ok" career.

Anya was decent at Watford. Hence why we paid an extortionate fee.

Hughes and Hendrick have both become Premier League players. I'd argue that means they've been decent since Derby.

16 minutes ago, Topram said:

14 minutes ago, roboto said:

Allow it. ? 

5 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Hot take here, but I think it’s easy to conflate spectacular goals with spectacular performances. Wilson is incredibly gifted in striking a ball, but average in many other regards and would often drift in and out of games. The spectacular players were Tomori and Mount, without whom we would’ve struggled to finish in the top half.

I think Wilson was in the Championship team of the season this year.

23 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Anya was decent at Watford. Hence why we paid an extortionate fee.

Hughes and Hendrick have both become Premier League players. I'd argue that means they've been decent since Derby.

Yeah, trying to joke about Anya.....and misread the topic as being "since leaving Derby".

Hughes and Hendrick have both had "decent" Premier League careers - but, again, I was trying to provoke a bit of an argument. "Decent" is a relative term in this context. I do not think Hughes, in particular, has had the stella career that many had expected.

49 minutes ago, roboto said:

Allow it. ? 

Ten goals and nineteen assists. I think that has been pretty special.