The last time we played each of next season's potential opponents in the league

admira

15 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Furthest away grounds being the most expensive to travel to and the nearest being the cheapest. Who would have thought? ?

Apologies, couldn’t resist a bit of sarcasm on a dull Wednesday afternoon.

Sheffield is further away that Mansfield, yet cheaper to get to.

You skip past Oxford to get to Wycombe, but it's Wycombe which is cheaper

6 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If I didn't check, I would have sworn Mansfield were in the Championship in the early 2000's, but must have been mixing them up with some other small club like Walsall.

Mansfield have actually been in the 2nd division once (77/78).

In fairness, there have been some small clubs in the second tier like Crewe, Yeovil, Mk Dons, Walsall, Grimsby, Gillingham and Plymouth in the past 20 years. 

21 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

In fairness, there have been some small clubs in the second tier like Crewe, Yeovil, Mk Dons, Walsall, Grimsby, Gillingham and Plymouth in the past 20 years. 

I'd put Plymouth as a bigger club than the others to be honest.  Bet they must average 14k or so and add another 3 or 4 when they're in the championship.

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

Bit confused....there's 24 teams in that list, with us that makes 25?????

League 1 is only 24 teams so that means one out of that list won't be actually in League 1 next season?

The thread is potential, Mansfield and Port vale in the final.

10 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Nice starting XI

Eric Steele

Paul Blades

Rob Hindmarch

Ross Maclaren

Steve Buckley

Steve McClaren

Gary Micklewhite

Mickey Thomas

Geraint Williams

Trevor Christie

Bobby Davison

looks a lot like the starting Xi of my very first rams match. Think maybe jeff chandler for schteve, who was sub. any maybe wallington in goal, not sure.

Very interesting stuff here.

A few thoughts.

New grounds and places, always interesting for travelling fans.

Apparently Plymouth fans refer to all away fans, even those from Torquay, as "northern b******s" LOL.

It is very interesting how many League 1 teams are south of us.  I wonder if there are more northern teams in League 2, and if so then why?  Another example of the north/south divide?  

I seem to have a feeling that way back (first half of the last century) what is now League 1 and League 2 were at the same level but North and South, with one or two teams (not sure which) promoted to the 2nd tier from each.  If that did used to be the case, then with fuel costs as they are, reinstating that model would save teams (and fans!) a lot of dosh in transport costs...

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Plymouth fans are superb.

The nearest away game is nearly 2 hours. Most are 6 or 7 hours.

Loads of respect for them.

Hope we get a Saturday away, its a brilliant place for a weekend.

Agreed.

After they knocked us out of the FA Cup in the quarter final replay, way back, with that goal scored straight from a corner, me and my mate went to Villa Park to support them in the semi final.

Wore our Derby shirts and Plymouth hats. Their Green Army were brilliant to us. Even though they lost, it was a brilliant day out.

Shame their ground bears no resemblance to what it was. The first leg of that quarter final was mad. To this day I still can't believe how many Rams fans went all that way. It was crazy!

13 minutes ago, Addingham Ram said:

Agreed.

After they knocked us out of the FA Cup in the quarter final replay, way back, with that goal scored straight from a corner, me and my mate went to Villa Park to support them in the semi final.

Wore our Derby shirts and Plymouth hats. Their Green Army were brilliant to us. Even though they lost, it was a brilliant day out.

Shame their ground bears no resemblance to what it was. The first leg of that quarter final was mad. To this day I still can't believe how many Rams fans went all that way. It was crazy!

Yep, duckin' thousands of us, buses, cars, vans. Even saw a large box van with about 30 Rams fans bouncing around in the back.

3 hours ago, LondonRam2 said:

I seem to have a feeling that way back (first half of the last century) what is now League 1 and League 2 were at the same level but North and South, with one or two teams (not sure which) promoted to the 2nd tier from each.  If that did used to be the case, then with fuel costs as they are, reinstating that model would save teams (and fans!) a lot of dosh in transport costs...

Used to be 3rd division North  and 3rd division South as late as the 50's, one of only 2 previous times we weren't in top 2 divisions..... 

Only top team went up then though, we were runners up one Yr, champions the next.... 

I can't wait for Plymouth away. Just under 2 hours on the train, by far the closest Football League team to me. About an hour further up the line, Exeter City are the second closest. That's a silver lining of our relegation for me, a West Country tour.

4 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I can't wait for Plymouth away. Just under 2 hours on the train, by far the closest Football League team to me. About an hour further up the line, Exeter City are the second closest. That's a silver lining of our relegation for me, a West Country tour.

I was about to laugh at 2 hours being your closet football league ground, then realised I can only get to 4 grounds in that time using public transport. It only take me 30-ish minutes to drive up the A38 to home games