Next QPR Manager

Premier ram

36 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

He did a decent job for us in all reality and didn’t waste any money unlike many others - football was a bit basic and uninspired but walked off to Stoke but maybe he knew in great detail what the deal was with MM 

I think he spent a lot of money on salaries didn't he, as the wage bill ballooned during his time, but I agree that he didn't waste too much capex on rubbish signings that collapsed to 0 value. Lawrence was the only major signing and he's pretty much carried the attack for a couple of seasons so difficult to claim we didn’t get some value out of him?

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I think he spent a lot of money on salaries didn't he, as the wage bill ballooned during his time, but I agree that he didn't waste too much capex on rubbish signings that collapsed to 0 value. Lawrence was the only major signing and he's pretty much carried the attack for a couple of seasons so difficult to claim we didn’t get some value out of him?

not sure he ever negotiated a single salary!

56 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

He did a decent job for us in all reality and didn’t waste any money unlike many others - football was a bit basic and uninspired but walked off to Stoke but maybe he knew in great detail what the deal was with MM 

Didn’t waste any money? He signed Curtis Davies, Tom Huddlestone, Tom Lawrence, Andre Wisdom and Joe Ledley. He spent over £10m in fees and grew our wage bill to over £40m. It was around £15m in 2014-15.

He blew money (mainly wages) on ageing players with no resale value in an attempt to get promoted in his debut season, then jumped ship to a better opportunity in Stoke a year later.

It was another disaster from Mel Morris and Rowett was another contributing factor to our current state.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Didn’t waste any money? He signed Curtis Davies, Tom Huddlestone, Tom Lawrence, Andre Wisdom and Joe Ledley. He spent over £10m in fees and grew our wage bill to over £40m. It was around £15m in 2014-15.

He blew money (mainly wages) on ageing players with no resale value in an attempt to get promoted in his debut season, then jumped ship to a better opportunity in Stoke a year later.

It was another disaster from Mel Morris and Rowett was another contributing factor to our current state.

We had extreme good value from Davies, not so from Huddlestone, whilst Lawrence was total marmite but he could play, and wisdom got used at centre back and right back. Ledley was a stop gap and didn’t hang around when he could have. I hardly think those players sent our wage bill into orbit unlike the clement and brief Pearson visit.

5 hours ago, Sparkle said:

We had extreme good value from Davies, not so from Huddlestone, whilst Lawrence was total marmite but he could play, and wisdom got used at centre back and right back. Ledley was a stop gap and didn’t hang around when he could have. I hardly think those players sent our wage bill into orbit unlike the clement and brief Pearson visit.

I don’t think we had extreme good value from Curtis Davies at all. I mean, I like the guy and think he has been a decent centre-back, but we’ve gained nothing from his presence here (we signed him to get promoted and we didn’t) and he has cost us some £6m in wages during his time here.

Good value for money is buying a cheap player on low wages who becomes a solid first-teamer, or buying a player to achieve a certain goal (like promotion) or selling for a profit.

Jake Buxton was good value for money. He was cheap and improved our team.

Lawrence has been a £10m investment in fee and wages. I’m sorry but what a waste, especially as he can walk on a free.

Andre Wisdom was a £6m investment in fees and wages who we lost for nothing.

Huddlestone another. No resale value, £4m+ in wages and zilch.

Come on. Rowett’s signings were abysmal. They didn’t get us any closer to promotion and cost us over £20m.

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don’t think we had extreme good value from Curtis Davies at all. I mean, I like the guy and think he has been a decent centre-back, but we’ve gained nothing from his presence here (we signed him to get promoted and we didn’t) and he has cost us some £6m in wages during his time here.

Good value for money is buying a cheap player on low wages who becomes a solid first-teamer, or buying a player to achieve a certain goal (like promotion) or selling for a profit.

Jake Buxton was good value for money. He was cheap and improved our team.

Lawrence has been a £10m investment in fee and wages. I’m sorry but what a waste, especially as he can walk on a free.

Andre Wisdom was a £6m investment in fees and wages who we lost for nothing.

Huddlestone another. No resale value, £4m+ in wages and zilch.

Come on. Rowett’s signings were abysmal. They didn’t get us any closer to promotion and cost us over £20m.

Im not one to defend Rowett, but that’s a little unfair. Those players took us to the play offs, twice. 

no signing will ever guarantee promotion, so is every signing a failure if they don’t achieve promotion? We got pretty close, twice, so given a different twist of fate, you’d have called them successful signings. Fine margins. 

my point is, if he’d have signed them and we’d have been nothing but mediocre, and mid table, then they would definitely be failures, but all you can ask is that we’re in the mix, and in with a decent shout, and we were. What happens once you actually get to the play offs is a bit of a roll of the dice. 

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Im not one to defend Rowett, but that’s a little unfair. Those players took us to the play offs, twice. 

no signing will ever guarantee promotion, so is every signing a failure if they don’t achieve promotion? We got pretty close, twice, so given a different twist of fate, you’d have called them successful signings. Fine margins. 

my point is, if he’d have signed them and we’d have been nothing but mediocre, and mid table, then they would definitely be failures, but all you can ask is that we’re in the mix, and in with a decent shout, and we were. What happens once you actually get to the play offs is a bit of a roll of the dice. 

We got further away since 2013-14. I mentioned earlier what I’d classify as good signings. I just can’t see it.

It’s like saying Man Utd’s signings aren’t bad because they still finished top four. They were equally dreadful considering they spent £1bn and got worse.

It’s been far too long since we signed players and saw them improve here and we make a profit on them. Not one of Rowett’s signings falls under that category.

And it shouldn’t need £20m+ to do it. Brentford got promoted with a net profit on their squad. We’re probably £100m in the red since 2013-14 and we got considerably worse. Dire recruitment.

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

We got further away since 2013-14. I mentioned earlier what I’d classify as good signings. I just can’t see it.

It’s like saying Man Utd’s signings aren’t bad because they still finished top four. They were equally dreadful considering they spent £1bn and got worse.

It’s been far too long since we signed players and saw them improve here and we make a profit on them. Not one of Rowett’s signings falls under that category.

And it shouldn’t need £20m+ to do it. Brentford got promoted with a net profit on their squad. We’re probably £100m in the red since 2013-14 and we got considerably worse. Dire recruitment.

Do we give rowett any credit for Alex Pearce as a signing? He was cheap at least (didn't we more or less break even on fees?) 

Trying to mentally validate your 100m estimate and I suspect you're not far off. I reckoned before that Frank's season cost nearly 20m in rubbish signings (Waghorn, jozefzoon, Malone) plus expensive loan fees and Cashley. Clements season was our big splurge, largely wasted. Mac1 spent on loans.... It goes on and on. 

What strikes me is the complete incoherence of our approaches. We literally have thrashed around trying loans, signings, a mixture, try before buy..... 

Overall it will be remembered as a high stakes poker game that we failed abysmally in, sadly. 

I think Rowett’s signings in comparison to Lampard, Clement and Pearson’s appear to be good value for the money. They were very short term signings but looking at Mel’s sacking record can you blame him?

Obviously Nigel seemed to be the best when it came to sustainable recruitment but even he had some flops. Plus our scouting network didn’t stretch outside the UK. 

Stevie Mac made some good loans and appeared to have the contacts but ultimately he failed to get us up. 

Think the biggest fault lies once again at Mel’s door for not implementing a style and not implementing a successful scouting team. Plus throwing money around like it’s sweets. 

As for Rowett being linked with QPR. I’m not sure he’s the right man for the job. I imagine he’ll have another season at Milwall before stepping down to see what else is out there. He seems to have a ceiling at championship level which must be upsetting for him.

On 11/05/2022 at 15:43, Bris Vegas said:

Camerone Jerome too. To be fair none of them were duds (apart from maybe Ledley) but they were very expensive for our wage bill. 

53 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Camerone Jerome too. To be fair none of them were duds (apart from maybe Ledley) but they were very expensive for our wage bill. 

The real problem is that these players were signed on top of all the gross overspend from Clement, Pearson. We were never going to get our money back on most of those and then to add in more players with no resale value.

I guess if you see Rowetts Derby time in isolation then it isn't so bad, but it was just adding to existing problems.

Ledley wasn't a dud, he was an experienced player who knew how to use his know-how to offset any physical shortcomings, but an injury did for him

He was to Rowett's team what Eustace was to McClaren's and his presence coincided with our best form of the season,.once he got injured it fell apart and we went on a horrible run, before turning it around in the final few games.

16 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

The real problem is that these players were signed on top of all the gross overspend from Clement, Pearson. We were never going to get our money back on most of those and then to add in more players with no resale value.

I guess if you see Rowetts Derby time in isolation then it isn't so bad, but it was just adding to existing problems.

That's true, but signing six players on £1m plus wages each, on top of a wage bill of players not playing, Anya , Martin and so on it was very expensive.   

On 11/05/2022 at 15:43, Bris Vegas said:

Thats a bit disingenuous. 

Rowett took the wage bill to £40m from £35m, not £15m.

The £10m he spent on transfer fees was more than offset by the sales of Hughes, Ince and Christie. 

He also gave Vydra a new lease of life which led to him bringing in a decent fee the following season.

Not a big fan of Rowett but really don't see him as any major contributory factor to our current state.

27 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The £10m he spent on transfer fees was more than offset by the sales of Hughes, Ince and Christie. 

He also gave Vydra a new lease of life which led to him bringing in a decent fee the following season.

Not a big fan of Rowett but really don't see him as any major contributory factor to our current state.

The damage was done under Clement. Everything after that has just been kicking the can down the road 

57 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The major damage was done under Clement. Rowett joined and instead of rebuilding, he spent even more in an all-or-nothing sense and walked away the moment the season was bust.

His signings were awful. They didn’t set us up for longevity. They weren’t designed for long-tern success. The players that came in were all about that season only. Short-sighted to say the least.

Rowett was like a roulette player doubling down on losses.

Frank Lampard was exactly the same by the way.

Both are n0bs.

38 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The major damage was done under Clement. Rowett joined and instead of rebuilding, he spent even more in an all-or-nothing sense and walked away the moment the season was bust.

His signings were awful. They didn’t set us up for longevity. They weren’t designed for long-tern success. The players that came in were all about that season only. Short-sighted to say the least.

Rowett was like a roulette player doubling down on losses.

Frank Lampard was exactly the same by the way.

Both are n0bs.

I don't remember or recall a clamour for rebuilding after Clement left?

We had just reached the play offs.

Of his 5 permanent signings, 2 were in with a shout for POTY this season, we probably recouped thr outlay on Jerome (who incidentally played in the Championship play offs again tonight).

Huddlestone played 22 matches the following campaign when we again reached the play offs, and was still a Championship player this season.

Only Wisdom turned out to be a complete disappointment of his signings.

On 12/05/2022 at 02:18, Bris Vegas said:

We finished 9th in 16/17, so his signings did improve us. The likes of Davies and Huddletone obviously haven't returned a direct profit, but they have undoubtedly had an influence on the players around them. Cashin, Bird and many others would have learned a lot from them. I'm willing to bet Tomori would have very strong views on Davies too.

Davies' inspirational leadership will have rubbed off on the whole squad, benefitting them in ways other than just their footballing ability. They will be better people. He's arguably the single most important signing of the past 10 years.