Eurovison.

1of4

So, off to Kyiv we go next year eh? 

Pleasantly surprised we came 2nd, but the public vote still is a bit of an impenetrable black box. No idea whether the scoring system is the same as the jury vote (1-8, 10 and 12), no idea how many territories were publicly voting - was it 40? 

The faux drama of the last few countries whose public vote points came after the massive dollop given to Ukraine was a bit daft. 

But overall a classic contest of the genre ?

10 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Pleasantly surprised we came 2nd, but the public vote still is a bit of an impenetrable black box. No idea whether the scoring system is the same as the jury vote (1-8, 10 and 12), no idea how many territories were publicly voting - was it 40? 

The faux drama of the last few countries whose public vote points came after the massive dollop given to Ukraine was a bit daft. 

Are you saying that we won?

45 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Bit disappointed to be honest .  Presenting was ridiculously drawn out on every point of the evening,  60% of the songs were far to miserable - backed by the public giving Moldova over 200 points as the most bonkers outfit of the evening and there was no cheesy Euro pop.  A damp squib. Having watched this since about 1987 this might have been the most boring one I've seen.

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Bit disappointed to be honest .  Presenting was ridiculously drawn out on every point of the evening,  60% of the songs were far to miserable - backed by the public giving Moldova over 200 points as the most bonkers outfit of the evening and there was no cheesy Euro pop.  A damp squib. Having watched this since about 1987 this might have been the most boring one I've seen.

That's the reason I recorded it...too many slow songs and chat. UK song was decent, Spain interesting ? Moldova great fun! Well done Ukraine.

Moldova deserved 200 odd points for breaking that boring run of dull songs. 

I imagine we'll host next year's one?

Last country not to host was that welcomed European nation of Israel as they too were in a war when they won. It went to Netherlands or something. 

Hope I can get tickets for the Mrs if it is here. That would be epic brownie points! 

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The spirit of bonkers eurovision is alive and well, witness this excerpt from Norway.... 

Not sure I told you but I really like your teeth
That hairy coat of yours with nothing underneath
Not sure you have a name so I will call you Keith

?

Glad you told me it was Norway. I thought that might be Oasis.

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I can see why you might think that, what with advancing years causing increased bewilderment and everything.... ?

The sink is full of fishes,

She does dirty dishes in the rain.

It's overflowing gently, 

It's so elementary my friend.

Norway or Oasis?

On 13/05/2022 at 08:20, Olton Ram said:

It's two programmes a year. It also broadcasts the New Year's Day concert from Vienna. They've obviously got a thing for annual musical events.

It used to be three. How do I know this? Because once upon a time I had to write ITV's script for The Junior Eurovision Song Contest. "Live, from Hasselt in Belgium..." 

On 15/05/2022 at 00:25, Van der MoodHoover said:

For the public vote they only go to the 25 countries in the final. When their votes are tallied up, they then award points in the same manner as the juries, with 12 votes for whoever won in that particular country, 10 for who came second, and so on. So anyone who'd been keeping score knew it was all over long before they announced the UK public vote. But it was still a good effort by Roy Wood who did OK considering his journey through the time tunnel from the 1970s...

15 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It used to be three. How do I know this? Because once upon a time I had to write ITV's script for The Junior Eurovision Song Contest. "Live, from Hasselt in Belgium..." 

There is still a junior one. Saw this year's junior winner being interviewed last week in the run-up promo stuff.

31 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

For the public vote they only go to the 25 countries in the final. When their votes are tallied up, they then award points in the same manner as the juries, with 12 votes for whoever won in that particular country, 10 for who came second, and so on. So anyone who'd been keeping score knew it was all over long before they announced the UK public vote. But it was still a good effort by Roy Wood who did OK considering his journey through the time tunnel from the 1970s...

But wouldn't that mean the highest possible public vote score was 24 x 12 =300?

And Ukraine scored over 400....

28 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

But wouldn't that mean the highest possible public vote score was 24 x 12 =300?

And Ukraine scored over 400....

Damn and blast. You're right and I should have checked rather than going on what I'd heard. Here's the breakdown of the Ukraine vote by jury and popular vote, both by country. All 40 nations got to vote, hence their huge score in the second half:

FSwa3nAXwAA3hAY.jpg

Edited by Carl Sagan