Eurovison.

1of4

41 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

So after coming second to Ukraine, which country will actually have the best song this year? 

Are we in with a chance of thating that second spot or will it be the now usual nil point?

Have you heard Ukraine's entry? Terrible Slavic folk rap. It would sink without trace any other year.

Norway's entry is pretty bonkers, and Denmark seem to be well thought of. It's quite an open field this time round. 

The UK's song is utter pants though. Another nul points and last place a definite possibility.

37 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

An OK song I thought. Not as screamingly camp as some of ours in recent years. 

Are Russia in or have they been embargoed? 

Surely the ban on russian competitors extends to Eurovision?

Anyway, obviously Ukraine will win it (objectively best song).

But, will we see a winner investigating the table the way this young man did again this year?

https://youtu.be/cG9kwlrRlRk

5 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

I notice that two of the titles of songs are

“Eat your salad” and “Give that wolf a banana”. Hmmm can’t wait

It sounds silly when it's out of context..... 

It's 

"please don't eat my grandma, 

Someone give that wolf a banana" 

Allegorical, or is it whimsical... ?

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

It's one of those questions which has no answer. 

Similar to the question of how come there's a massive broadcasting organisation set up around making 1 program a year? ?

It's two programmes a year. It also broadcasts the New Year's Day concert from Vienna. They've obviously got a thing for annual musical events.

2 hours ago, Stagtime said:

I’m still trying to figure out how we’re in Eurovision.

The Europeans have odd taste in music. If we think it’s quite good, it tends to get nil points. If we think it’s cheesy crap, it tends to do really well.

i always find it odd, as the brits are clearly, historically, the best producers of music in the world. The country of the Beatles, the stones, oasis, the who and queen.

but I get the impression that even if any of those bands entered Eurovision, they’d still lose. 

4 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

The Europeans have odd taste in music. If we think it’s quite good, it tends to get nil points. If we think it’s cheesy crap, it tends to do really well.

i always find it odd, as the brits are clearly, historically, the best producers of music in the world. The country of the Beatles, the stones, oasis, the who and queen.

but I get the impression that even if any of those bands entered Eurovision, they’d still lose. 

It's true that continental "europop" is a thing and tends to do well but our biggest failing is that the UK usually have an act that nobody has heard of, with a song that hardly anyone has heard until the week of competition. Most of the competiton acts are normally hugely popular across Europe already - even if the UK don't know them.

Entering Eurovision is quite a cool thing in most countries. Established UK acts, however, don't want to touch it.

We've clearly tried to do better this year, with a bloke who's apparently massive on TikTok - which is why we're now one of the favourites.

With the huge gay following of Eurovision, I often think that if we were serious about winning it, then we should twist the arms of someone like Erasure banging out one of their pop tunes. Or maybe the Pet Shop Boys & Marc Almond collaboration.