2021/22 Attendances.

Rambam

14 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Not sure of the accuracy of the away attendances and am surprised that we are top. I would have thought Middlesborough, forest and possibly Coventry would have been higher. Sheff United also seem surprisingly low.

I'm of the understanding that they are the other clubs matchday attendance for their match against us, not specifically our own away following for each match.
I'd imagine most fans would be more eager to go to watch their team play against Wayne Rooney's Derby County than Curly Sue's Boro, for example.

It wouldn't surprise me if Fo*est, for example, have had a bigger away following than us, but then the oppo fans (in the home stands) would be less keen to be in close proximity to our 6 fingered friends, thus saving their ticket money for another day.

6 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'm of the understanding that they are the other clubs matchday attendance for their match against us, not specifically our own away following for each match.
I'd imagine most fans would be more eager to go to watch their team play against Wayne Rooney's Derby County than Curly Sue's Boro, for example.

It wouldn't surprise me if Fo*est, for example, have had a bigger away following than us, but then the oppo fans (in the home stands) would be less keen to be in close proximity to our 6 fingered friends, thus saving their ticket money for another day.

If you do the maths you’ll see the figures do represent the total attendance for our away games not just the number of away supporters. Not even the dirties take 18,000 to away games. ?

9 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

That makes a lot more sense.  I guess it is skewed towards the bigger grounds that can provide a larger away capacity and locations easier to reach i.e. central England, but it does explain why Reading and Blackburn are so low down!

Just now, Tamworthram said:

If you do the maths you’ll see the figures do represent the total attendance for our away games not just the number of away supporters. Not even the dirties take 18,000 to away games. ?

Indeed. Hence my post... for anyone who hadn't looked at the numbers.  ?

... and as for that last sentence, I'd agree.  They'd be utterly embarrassed if that was all they took!    ?

4 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

That makes a lot more sense.  I guess it is skewed towards the bigger grounds that can provide a larger away capacity and locations easier to reach i.e. central England, but it does explain why Reading and Blackburn are so low down!

Given that every team plays at every other ground in the league (those that can provide a larger away capacity and those that are more limited) this statement cannot be a factor. In theory, it’s a tally of all the home supporters at each ground that want to see their team play Derby, Forest, Reading, Blackburn etc plus the number of travelling supporters attending. 

Fulham being so bottom is an odd one unless a lot of their games were televised which would be a factor.

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Given that every team plays at every other ground in the league (those that can provide a larger away capacity and those that are more limited) this statement cannot be a factor. In theory, it’s a tally of all the home supporters at each ground that want to see their team play Derby, Forest, Reading, Blackburn etc plus the number of travelling supporters attending. 

Fulham being so bottom is an odd one unless a lot of their games were televised which would be a factor.

Thanks for the clarification. It has taken me a while to get my head around what the figures mean!

That away attendance table means nothing but the home attendance numbers are impressive. Haven’t DCFc got the top 3 attended matches this season? Can’t remember when the ticket office opened but remember I couldn’t get tickets to some games as they were off sale before the day weirdly due to the ticket office closure. Think the average would be closer 25k if ticket office had been open as there were the very low figures for a few matches after lockdown or when administration hit. 

Assuming the cumulative total is right the away attendance shows we're the largest draw in the division. We are a higher category game for a lot of clubs in the league. No different for when teams are in the Prem and the guaranteed sell outs are for when United/Liverpool etc. come to town, people don't get excited about watching their teams vs. Watford and in the Championship people aren't that excited when Hull are coming to town. Be interesting to see how much of a pull we are in League One now...as suspect we will push a lot of home gates up significantly. Sunderland are bigger than we are so would traditionally think they'd be no. 1 but they've been down there a while now, Wednesday arguably bigger/same size and not been down there that long. Could be same again next year. Lets hopefully not try it in League Two too soon though..

2 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Be interesting to see how much of a pull we are in League One now...as suspect we will push a lot of home gates up significantly. Sunderland are bigger than we are so would traditionally think they'd be no. 1 but they've been down there a while now, Wednesday arguably bigger/same size and not been down there that long. Could be same again next year. Lets hopefully not try it in League Two too soon though..

Either Sunderland or the Wendies might not be playing in League 1 next season.....