Lee Buchanan

RoyMac5

I also thought he was off his game - his first half distribution was poor. Whether he's playing under instructions to limit his attacking overlaps but he's nowhere near the wide threat he was when he first came into the side.

Byrne on the other flank just gets better and better - MOTM for me, with Lawrence not far behind.

I didn't think he a particularly good game today personally..he worked hard,don't get me wrong but really struggled to deliver the decisive crosses and runs that we could have done with.

I think fozzy would have been a better fit for this game to be honest.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

Buchanan would have had a better game if we had players that could actually deliver a decent pass to him (Ebosele particularly guilty) - a number of times where he was sprinting towards the Preston goal and the pass to him was overhit or underhit- one (I think from Lawrence) went straight out for a goal kick….

Buchanan is an excellent prospect, good in the air for his height, good one on one defender (no doubt from being  a central defender in the academy), can also get forward and really affect the game in attacking areas when he’s on form. He’s had a stop start season with injuries and think at times he’s looked low on confidence. That’s his issue not ability.

Its his second full season, like all those who were writing Bird off last season as no good  Buchanan will show his form next season and prove people wrong….unfortunately that might not be in Derby shirt for obvious reasons.

I noticed the crowd grumbled a couple of times when he received the ball and did not play it forwards, instead turning and passing it back to a central defender. To be fair there was no movement by players ahead so at least we retained possession, rather than punt a hopeful ball up front.  I think he is an excellent prospect but maybe currently lacking confidence as others have suggested.

14 hours ago, angieram said:

Thought he was poor until Ebosele went off and after that he was very good. Realised a lot of that was Ebosele's fault! 

I agree. Early on he seemed unusually reticent. I thought what’s up Lee ? Didn’t seem to want to push on. He looked much stronger in the second half. 

5 hours ago, Wistaston Ram said:

I noticed the crowd grumbled a couple of times when he received the ball and did not play it forwards, instead turning and passing it back to a central defender. To be fair there was no movement by players ahead so at least we retained possession, rather than punt a hopeful ball up front.  I think he is an excellent prospect but maybe currently lacking confidence as others have suggested.

Interesting. I noticed a few times he tried some quite ambitious through balls that didn’t come off. Was good that he was trying some more incisive passing, but maybe after a few got intercepted he lost his confidence. 
Personally I’m of the opinion we should be taking a few more risks to get it forward quickly rather than this continued recycling to the keeper and central defenders that usually just ends up with a punt forward anyway. 
So I’m not going to criticise any player who is trying to be more positive