World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

32 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I wondered if anyone even bothers listening to the s**** these commentators come out with, unfortunately you've proved that they do.

Listened to the match in a pub where you couldn't here the commentary tonight, such a much more pleasant experience.

Why does there have to be so many ex-players on there? The level of analysis on things like Guardian Football Weekly or Totally Football is way beyond what you get on live matches. And they barely have a footballer on there.

Perhaps it's easier writing/talking about a match when you have had time to think. Although, I've just remembered the pundits on Match of the Day!

Can't stand this tournament when one of the individual stars is playing. All they ever talk about is the star player ie Messi/Mbappe etc and nothing else.

3 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

We are ready!

I think...

Could well be the game of the tournament. Shame we're meeting earlier than we might have, but though I'm probably biased, I don't see any reason why either side should fear anyone remaining in the tournament. France will start as slight favourites, but I think England will provide a stern test. Let's hope we get a good game of football, whatever the outcome.

Just now, kevinhectoring said:

He’s 19 and fit as a butcher’s dog. Kane runs out of steam in these tournaments and it costs us. Kane should have been taken off after he’d scored 

Go on, I'll bite. When has Kane run out of steam in a tournament? In Euro 2020(1), Kane got better as the tournament went along, and in 2018 England stopped creating chances for him. This is just one of those sayings football fans love to trot out without any actual backing to it. 

3 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

He’s 19 and fit as a butcher’s dog. Kane runs out of steam in these tournaments and it costs us. Kane should have been taken off after he’d scored 

What has being kicked off the pitch got to do with fitness? ? cf George Thorne

Edited by RoyMac5

1 minute ago, PistoldPete said:

Not sure why England playing France in the quarters. Should be a semi final game. Aren’t both teams in the top four in the world? France world champions. England World Cup semi finalists and euro finalist. 

Does it really matter when you play France? Whether it's the Quarters or the Semis, you have to beat them to progress to the final from this side of the bracket draw so might as well play them now. 

1 minute ago, PistoldPete said:

Not sure why England playing France in the quarters. Should be a semi final game. Aren’t both teams in the top four in the world? France world champions. England World Cup semi finalists and euro finalist. 

One of us won’t be reappearing those fetes this time. Someone’s going home on Saturday. I’m very excited. 

3 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Think there are just 8 seeds, one in each group. Which group winners meet in QFs is random.

Edited by ariotofmyown

5 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

He's got 6 days rest? 

I think Kane should have been substituted after an hour, but only to protect him from injury. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Does it really matter when you play France? Whether it's the Quarters or the Semis, you have to beat them to progress to the final from this side of the bracket draw so might as well play them now. 

Well ideally, they are in the other side of the draw and you end playing Japan in the final! After beating the Swiss in the semis.

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

Well ideally, they are in the other side of the draw and you end playing Japan in the final! After beating the Swiss in the semis.

We had easy draws in the last few tournaments and didn't make the most of it! I think the game against France will tell us more about the England team than either of those two tournaments. 

45 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I think France is actually not that bad of a match up for England. Kyle Walker is as equipped as any right back to cope with Mbappe, and they are weak in the middle of the park. I think sitting in and trying to hit them in the break might yield some success, but we have to play with our pace in Rashford and Saka. 

Who would you play Rashford instead of surely not foden

Just now, Henrycav81 said:

Who would you play Rashford instead of surely not foden

I mean I'd personally drop Henderson and play Bellingham and Rice with Foden as an attacking midfielder. But I'm guessing Southgate won't do that, so I'd drop Foden to put Rashford in as I think countering with speed will be the way to beat France. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I mean I'd personally drop Henderson and play Bellingham and Rice with Foden as an attacking midfielder. But I'm guessing Southgate won't do that, so I'd drop Foden to put Rashford in as I think countering with speed will be the way to beat France. 

Bellingham needs to stay in the position he was in tonight I’d personally keep the same team but if you wanted to play Rashford I’d play him instead of saka. Foden is by no means slow by the way 

Just now, Henrycav81 said:

Bellingham needs to stay in the position he was in tonight I’d personally keep the same team but if you wanted to play Rashford I’d play him instead of saka. Foden is by no means slow by the way 

Foden isn't outright slow, but it's a different kind of pace all together. I personally think tonight's game and the game on Saturday aren't in any way comparable and that we should probably tweak it for the opponent. The French don't have any natural fullbacks, you'd have to back Rashford in a one on one against Kounde. Foden generally speaking isn't that player.