World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

3 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

I love me some of big Mich's. No pretence of being a tactical expert a la Ferdinand, Neville, Carragher et. al) just an ex-players view with a sense of humour.

He's similar to how Wrighty was when he started out - big personality but in danger of being used just for weak laughs.

But when you've got about 3 minutes to actually discuss the football, it can only be surface level anyway, so no point taking it as earnestly as Jenas, Ferdinand and Neville do for example. All of whom are such tactical geniuses they choose the easy option of the sofa rather than the dugout.

I mostly agree with this. I can't stand to listen to Neville and Ferdinand. If only they were half as knowledgeable and erudite as they believe themselves to be. A pair of self satisfied onanists.

I like Richards. It's nice to see someone genuinely enjoying the game. I'm a miserable git myself, so I'd likely spend most of the time glowering at him like Keane does, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy his presence.

13 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

In a roundabout way I think winning the World Cup is more difficult than winning any other trophy for a national team. Holland and Portugal have never won it. England just the once, Spain got their first in 2010 and France in 98 and 2018.

Morocco winning the World Cup would be a massive shock. But then again, they aren’t a bad side. It’s not like they have a bunch of Championship standard players. 

But I understand your point.

I just think ultimately the best teams win the World Cup. The teams with the best players I mean.

It’s different to club football where you train as a team for potentially years, can buy specific players to fit into a particular style of play. At international level, in a simple way, it’s just cobbling 11 players together and doing the best you can.

And generally the best 11 players win.

I think what England are doing it is professionalizing it to some new extent. Southgate is the ultimate pragmatist. England have a group of good players, but we don't have the very best players. We don't even have all the best English players there. But we have made the international side like a club side. Previously, for a world cup there'd be so much debate at who would be picked and it seemed a very different bunch each time. We lacked the continuity. Now we have a set way of playing. You could substitute in any of the players and we would play the same way and be roughly as strong. There's the team spirit of players who have been together for a long time now, and a new seriousness in the camp. We will be feared by everyone because of our very high level of consistency. Someone might beat us with individual brilliance we can't match, but they very well might not.

37 minutes ago, Anon said:

I like Richards. It's nice to see someone genuinely enjoying the game. I'm a miserable git myself, so I'd likely spend most of the time glowering at him like Keane does, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy his presence.

Ally McCoist is the best co-commentator at every international tournament for this exact reason.