Things that annoy me that should annoy me

sage

On 27/12/2022 at 16:19, Turk Thrust said:

What’s with this “of” instead of “have”.  A lot of our posters do it. Must of, could have, should have, might of etc etc. it’s one thing saying it, but to actually write it?   

Also “off of” instead of “from”

On 27/12/2022 at 16:19, Turk Thrust said:

What’s with this “of” instead of “have”.  A lot of our posters do it. Must of, could of, should of, might of etc etc. it’s one thing saying it, but to actually write it?   

I used to do that, until I was constantly shamed on here by the English Language fan boys.  I still correct myself when typing, but I doubt I do when speaking.

So my entry to this thread is people who constantly correct you when you participate in the forum!

Geroutofit!

50 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I used to do that, until I was constantly shamed on here by the English Language fan boys.  I still correct myself when typing, but I doubt I do when speaking.

So my entry to this thread is people who constantly correct you when you participate in the forum!

Geroutofit!

“One still corrects oneself…”

?

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

Geroutofit!

4C3FCC8D-2B7A-4808-932E-8F61648C534C.jpeg

10 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Sciatica...?

Had it so bad around 10 years back it was taking me 10 mins to crawl to the loo and I'd almost be crying with the pain. Doc gave me some exercises to do and I've never had it since, touch wood. Pilates would be my recommendation, though yoga is gentler depending on your time of life. There also exercises you can do to ease the pain and they do work, though stop immediately if they are hurting you! I've chucked a link in below.

Feel better soon in any case! 

https://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/sciatica-exercises-sciatica-pain-relief

1 minute ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Had it so bad around 10 years back it was taking me 10 mins to crawl to the loo and I'd almost be crying with the pain. Doc gave me some exercises to do and I've never had it since, touch wood. Pilates would be my recommendation, though yoga is gentler depending on your time of life. There also exercises you can do to ease the pain and they do work, though stop immediately if they are hurting you! I've chucked a link in below.

https://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/sciatica-exercises-sciatica-pain-relief

Most painful thing I have experienced.

Hope it never returns to either of us!

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Most painful thing I have experienced.

Hope it never returns to either of us!

Amen to that! Couldn't believe how painful it was. Went to bed a little bit sore, woke up and couldn't move either leg. It scared the s*** out of me to the point where I nearly called an ambulance. Other half of the time was on a 2 month secondment in Seratlle so I was basically fooked!

It's twinged a few times over the last 10 years but I just stretch it out now and that works a charm. If I were smarter I'd have an everyday routine, as we're only talking 5 minutes here, but I do react the moment I feel any soreness at all and that seems to keep it at bay. Beat chowing down on Naproxen every few hours.

3 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Amen to that! Couldn't believe how painful it was. Went to bed a little bit sore, woke up and couldn't move either leg. It scared the s*** out of me to the point where I nearly called an ambulance. Other half of the time was on a 2 month secondment in Seratlle so I was basically fooked!

It's twinged a few times over the last 10 years but I just stretch it out now and that works a charm. If I were smarter I'd have an everyday routine, as we're only talking 5 minutes here, but I do react the moment I feel any soreness at all and that seems to keep it at bay. Beat chowing down on Naproxen every few hours.

Happened to me on a Saturday night.

Went to emergency GP Sunday morning and he started writing a prescription for painkillers before even looking up. I asked if he was going to examine me and he said what do you expect on a Sunday morning? We exchanged pleasantries and he realised I was serious. I rarely lose my temper but I was in a lot of pain.

When he did the knee reflex test my leg didn’t move. He realised then I was being honest.

I still have little sensation in my lower calf area.

4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Happened to me on a Saturday night.

Went to emergency GP Sunday morning and he started writing a prescription for painkillers before even looking up. I asked if he was going to examine me and he said what do you expect on a Sunday morning? We exchanged pleasantries and he realised I was serious. I rarely lose my temper but I was in a lot of pain.

When he did the knee reflex test my leg didn’t move. He realised then I was being honest.

I still have little sensation in my lower calf area.

Argh, that's grim mate. Try the stretching exercises - get your partner to help very gently if you're struggling. The quickest and most consistent pain relief is via that route based on my experience. Naproxen will put a dent in it though it makes me hurl too, so you may need anti-emitics just to keep it down as it's a common side effect. Nothing else worked for me.

For the little it's worth right now, I suspect, it is treatable and quite easily so. Silver linings etc.

Hope you feel better soon mate.

34 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

A short course of Naproxin, few physio sessions and doing those exercises regularly sorted mine out too. I now know when it's coming on and the exercises nip it in the bud. 

I should add that you should never take Naproxin without also taking something like Omeprazole alongside it as a stomach protector, as it can cause stomach bleeds, ulcers etc, as with many other painkillers (or take it for an extended period). 

Edited by Crewton

30 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I'm 66 and a tough old sod, Had many painful experiences in life...nothing like I have with this, It started a few weeks back with a little pain in my lower back, Brushed it of as old age, Got up last Tuesday Morning and My right upper leg felt numb, Went to the Doctors as I'm on Statins and thought this may be a side effect, Told them and they made a Telephone appointment...got a call back that afternoon, Statins were fine as I've been on them for 4 months, Told the Doc my problem...pain lower back, Right buttock and thigh and occasionally tingling, Sounds as tho you could have Sciatica...take 2 Paracetamol every 6 hours, If still troubling after 5 days make Doctor appointment, Surgery closed until tomorrow, Now taking Ibuprofen...pain slightly easing. 

Missed the Cambridge game and todays game ☹️, Worst thing is getting dressed in the Morning, How painful is getting into your boxers ??

Thanx for the video...will have a look and give it a go ?

32 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Argh, that's grim mate. Try the stretching exercises - get your partner to help very gently if you're struggling. The quickest and most consistent pain relief is via that route based on my experience. Naproxen will put a dent in it though it makes me hurl too, so you may need anti-emitics just to keep it down as it's a common side effect. Nothing else worked for me.

For the little it's worth right now, I suspect, it is treatable and quite easily so. Silver linings etc.

Hope you feel better soon mate.

I’m all fine now thanks. This was a few years ago. Leaves its mark though