DCFC fans- protect your mental health

angieram

Well, we have another month of uncertainty and speculation ahead of us.

I don't mind admitting this morning's lack of news has hit me hard.

We need to try and look after ourselves - and each other - over  these next few weeks. 

I feel better when I am watching games. Luckily, there are plenty of Derby games during February to keep us going. 

What will you do to try and keep positive? 

1 minute ago, angieram said:

We need to try and look after ourselves - and each other - over  these next few weeks. 

I feel better when I am watching games. Luckily, there are plenty of Derby games during February to keep us going. 

Turn to the one man that has kept us, the players and the whole club going throughout this sorry affair. Our Wazza. I think if his enthusiasm ever starts to Wayne (pun intended) then we're in big trouble. I have to admit it was very worrying when B4 had a wobble a few days back but thankfully he's back on track now. 

Just now, angieram said:

These are the sort of posts I most dislike  on this Forum. I find the black humour about mental health that a lot of posters use really upsetting.

It was some self-deprecating humour, but since you've assumed I'm ridiculing others, by all means delete it.

Just now, 86 Hair Islands said:

It was some self-deprecating humour, but since you've assumed I'm ridiculing others, by all means delete it.

Interesting it was about you, I thought it was aimed at me! 

No, I want to leave it there. Genuine question- do you feel better when you self-deprecate? (Sorry, that sounds like innuendo.) 

I want to know what works for people.

Having worked in mental health services for decades, I am quite sensitive about things like this, perhaps overly so.

Try to focus on work as I'm hitting crunch time for my PhD submission and essay marking so that'll keep my mind occupied for the next 2 weeks at least. Other than that, probably try to get to a few more games and keep my mind busy. I find keeping continually busy is much better for my mindset and health than if I'm doing nothing and start to catastrophise. 

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

I liked Rooney's way of dealing with this constant upheaval - take one day at a time & let the future take care of itself, its often not as bad as your worst case scenario head would have you believe. And as Kazim says 'Tough times don't last, tough people do'

This forum, matches at PP (and away) & involvement in supporters groups (BAWT, RT, Punjabi Rams) are all good ways of sharing worries with like minded fans, being active in ways we can get our voice heard & reminding us its football we're talking about ultimately, not politics or finances or bureaucracy. I'll also be indulging in some escapism in the 71/72 season - we've got a title to win ? 

I also think its important to take time away from Derby matters from time to time. Probably won't be appreciated by David but refreshing every hour for news on here and Twitter is just going to drive folk round the bend - take a couple of days break every so often, do some exercise/new activities, take in some new scenery & spend quality time with friends and family.

We will get through this - we will come through the other side & be the club we all know we can be.

Stay well all you Rams ??

1 minute ago, angieram said:

No, I want to leave it there. Genuine question- do you feel better when you self-deprecate? (Sorry, that sounds like innuendo.) 

Having worked in mental health services for decades, I am quite sensitive about things like this, perhaps overly so.

I've already deleted it. And yes, gallows humour works for me. Better to laugh than cry I find.

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Try to focus on work as I'm hitting crunch time for my PhD submission and essay marking so that'll keep my mind occupied for the next 2 weeks at least. Other than that, probably try to get to a few more games and keep my mind busy. I find keeping continually busy is much better for my mindset and health than if I'm doing nothing and start to catastrophise. 

Yes, we have done brilliantly for the Birmingham game but the challenge will be keeping that up for another four home games. Hope we put in a great performance and it encourages the floating supporters to come back for more.

(Realise that's not possible for many who have made some tremendous efforts to be there on Sunday.)

I'm trying to work today but can't concentrate. 

I'm moving house, so that's kind of exciting and is providing a good distraction.

That being said, fellow Rams, if you are feeling distressed, anxious or need mental health advice, there is a helpline set up specifically by Derbyshire NHS Foundation Trust for residents of the county. If you're registered at a Derbyshire GP, you can call 0800 028 0077 24/7. They may be able to help provide some positive advice on how to distract yourself and move forward.

I also work for a local mental health service (in a non-clinical role) which offers scheduled therapy. Our waiting times are wacky at the moment so don't expect to be seen right away however it may help to talk. Services you can self-refer to in Derbyshire are as follows:

Trent PTS - https://www.trentpts.co.uk/
Vita Minds - https://www.vitahealthgroup.co.uk/nhs-services/nhs-mental-health/Derby-and-derbyshire/
Insight Healthcare - https://www.insighthealthcare.org/
Talking Mental Health - http://www.derbyshirehealthcareft.nhs.uk/tmhd-refer

Of course, hopefully all this will be resolved positively in the coming weeks and all of what I've just typed will become unnecessary but it's here for anybody who might need it.

Obviously, if you're experiencing really dark moments and believe yourself to be at risk of self-harm, please call 111 or go to A&E.

Look after yourselves boys and girls, brighter days will come.

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

I don't think there was any malice intended by @86 Hair Islands. As you asked the question directly, what will you do?, I took it that @86 Hair Islands was answering from that perspective. 

Maybe two more positive things Derby related to get involved in

i think the Twitter town council thing has been really good, lots of positive stories and discussion.

Then also, Radio Derby are doing their black & white day tomorrow, encouraging everybody around the county to wear black & white. Little things but it might be a good thing to start the weekend and get ready for Sunday

Just now, Steve How Hard? said:

I don't think there was any malice intended by @86 Hair Islands. As you asked the question directly, what will you do?, I took it that @86 Hair Islands was answering from that perspective. 

No, I don't think there was, either. We normally see eye to eye, so thought I'd ask. Hope I explained it was about my reaction to the post, rather than the post itself. 

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

Yes, we have done brilliantly for the Birmingham game but the challenge will be keeping that up for another four home games. Hope we put in a great performance and it encourages the floating supporters to come back for more.

(Realise that's not possible for many who have made some tremendous efforts to be there on Sunday.)

I'm trying to work today but can't concentrate. 

Yeah, I agree I think the deadline worked to our advantage in galvanising community support and enthusiasm but doing that for another month is going to be difficult. I'm very excited for Sunday and a close to full pride park as it has been too long since we've come close to a sell out. 

It's not easy with everything going on as demonstrated by me being on here instead of marking... I guess what works for me at least are small deadlines that by x o clock I have to have achieved this. 

58 minutes ago, angieram said:

Just posted something loosely along similar lines in the admin thread.  Fast losing interest in the politics now, but raring to go on Sunday.

Matchday is the main thing, for sure.  If I ultimately have to find something else to do on matchdays, due to having no team to watch, then I'll worry about that if and when it happens.

No point whittling about stuff we can do sod all about!   ?

1 hour ago, angieram said:

In the week leading up to Christmas, I was admitted to A and E with sepsis and water retention, spent 5 days there, and then had to put up with a very unpleasant catheter for 5 weeks before having it removed earlier this week. 

So, my mood has been swinging around a bit more than usual. I’ve imagined how I might fit a catheter into various people connected with Middlesbrough and Wycombe. That eases the tension for a while?

I can’t expect anyone else to appreciate that line of thinking but I’m sure they will have their own release.

if there’s any justice in the world, we will survive this nightmare. Stay strong everyone and keep up the pressure!!

Apart from my significant other's repeated plees for me to "just stop doomscrolling" and "it's not helping" and "you're being a right arse" (all true, I have been a right arse lately).

I'd suggest getting regular exercise, being kind to people, remembering that as much as this hurts, we will get through this.

I also have a dog and my furry friend never fails to take my mind off the situation (whether it's being adorable or because he's doing my nut in...)

And just to say, I'll happily take DM off anyone.