The Administration Thread

Boycie

15 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I heard a slightly different and funnier version.

Not sure of the figures involved so I'll use the ones you quote.

The agent and Seth had agreed to try and get £14k per week.

They sat down opposite Ridsdale who offered them £28k. Surprised that it was double what they had hoped to negotiate, Seth and his agent looked around at eachother.

Ridsdale misunderstanding their body language snapped: "ok £37k but that's my final offer".

That’s the version I heard too

1 hour ago, TooFarInToTurnRed said:

Not a lawyer but have written a couple of LBA’s in my time! They don’t need to be anything special just set out what you think you are owed and why then give them 14 days to respond before taking legal action.

Strange thing to say that so adamantly that Middlesboro do have a case when nobody knows what would have happened if Derby spent less or Boro spent more. That season Sheff Utd got promoted with a much lower budget than most in the division I suspect. 

Sheff Utd 18/19
£21.3m loss
£40.7m wage bill

24 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Also, magistrates don't do this. They are actually tediously predictable in their application of the rules, and rely utterly on their clerks to tell them what the law says they should do and why. And rightly so. 

Magistrates, magistrates clerks, judges, judges clerks, recorders, coroners, arbitrators, they can all make decisions influenced by statutory purpose. It’s why the law was changed some years ago to allow evidence of parliamentary debates to be admitted in legal proceedings -  so that the judge could be informed of parliament’s intention. I think our amortisation decision was probably wrong on a strict reading of the EFL rules but probably in line with the purpose of the rules  

You might have a point when it comes to sentencing btw 

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I agree absolutely but I think Seth Johnson may take a much more lenient view of Ridsdale than we do. When Derby accepted Leeds' offer for Seth, he drove straight up to Elland Road with his agent. Seth was on £7k a week at Derby. On the way up, his agent told him that he would try to negotiate for up to £14k a week at Leeds. On arrival at Elland Road, the receptionist told them to go straight up to the board room where Mr Ridsdale was awaiting them.

They walked straight in to find Ridsdale with the prepared contract on the table. Ridsdale greeted them by saying "Gentlemen, the offer is £37k a week for four and a half years, is that okay?. Seth was fearful of causing himself an injury as he raced to the table to pick up the pen and sign."

When Leeds went bust, Ridsale's mitigation was that he was a fan living the dream which Mel has echoed himself since it all  went wrong for us.

When Ken Bates took over he fumed at the fact that Seth was prepared to see out his contract in Leeds reserve team which he did until he returned to us on a Bosman. I heard Seth telling that story in a pub at Mickleover when he returned to play for us.

I wonder if Mel has any pretensions of ruling the roost in the EFL at some time in the future?

??

You missed out one point on the Seth story. When Ridsdale told him the amount both Seth and his agent just looked at each other (in shock), which Ridsdale perceived to be dissatisfaction so he instantly then added “But we can go up to £40k, no more!”. At which point Seth nearly did himself an injury as you say ?

Edit: I see others beat me to it with this addendum. Still, an hilarious anecdote whichever version you believe! ?

Edited by StaffsRam

A simplistic point

Would Mel Morris provide a statement to the Press Association, of all the places, that he was willing to take on the cases personally instead of Derby County, without knowing whether he can actually do it?

I know Morris is Morris, and this doesn’t help those on here enjoying going round and round in circles playing Mr Know It All…but come on!

23 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

star trek GIF

Well your  response raised a smile and I agree that many aspects the current regulatory system are a shambles. But on a more serious note,  just enlighten us please and explain what you think IS the purpose of those rules if it’s not what I described. Seriously ? 

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

If you’re a magistrate looking at road traffic offences you might well apply the rules (maybe even stretch them) with a eye to the purpose of the rules. So you’re more likely to convict people who show a disregard for public safety, whatever the black letter of the law may say. This is no different - the purpose of the EFL rule book is to have well functioning league. If our amortisation policy upends the FFP level playing field then there’s a danger we lose the case even if that upsets the accounting purists. 

Nothing corrupt about that 

It only becomes an "unlevel playing field" if other teams cannot do what another does. In this case, there was nothing to stop another club from adopting the same or similar policy. Therefore, the playing field stay level.
Surely you joke when you say the EFL wants to maintain a level playing field? Parachute payments are the single biggest obstacle for that.

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

The problem is, the arbitration rules cover the EFL too - member clubs can use it to challenge EFL decisions etc.  So you can't have the case where the EFL can just block arbitration claims, as they'd be simultaneously above the law and also subject to it.  So if they block a clubs claims, all that would happen is the member club would challenge the EFL's decision and it would end up at arbitration anyway...

That's the way it should be. The EFL enforce their own rules with the option for a club to appeal.
Breach a regulation and you receive the relevant punishment. I don't recall Derby having arbitration over breaching the other regulations which resulted in an embargo.

3 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

A simplistic point

Would Mel Morris provide a statement to the Press Association, of all the places, that he was willing to take on the cases personally instead of Derby County, without knowing whether he can actually do it?

I know Morris is Morris, and this doesn’t help those on here enjoying going round and round in circles playing Mr Know It All…but come on!

The clue is that Parry has commented on MM’s proposal, saying ‘if it’s doable’. Translated into English this means: “my legal team have told me this is as mad as a box of frogs “

2 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

The clue is that Parry has commented on MM’s proposal, saying ‘if it’s doable’. Translated into English this means: “my legal team have told me this is as mad as a box of frogs “

“If it’s doable” doesn’t need a translation mate, because it’s in english.

He’s saying he’s not sure it’s doable at the time he wrote that, probably because he wasn’t sure if it was doable.

Edited by TuffLuff

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

You didn't used to run a Chinese/Japanese translation service in a Magaluf tattoo parlour did you by a chance?

His reply to me on the proposals was:

"On the face of it this may offer a way through one part of the jam."

I fear your translation of this would be:

"The jam has fallen out of my doughnut and landed on my face."

9 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

A simplistic point

I think he knows full well that it won’t be feasible and even if it was, Boro and WW would reject it. Trying in vain to save what remains of his shattered reputation 

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

I heard a slightly different and funnier version.

Not sure of the figures involved so I'll use the ones you quote.

The agent and Seth had agreed to try and get £14k per week.

They sat down opposite Ridsdale who offered them £28k. Surprised that it was double what they had hoped to negotiate, Seth and his agent looked around at eachother.

Ridsdale misunderstanding their body language snapped: "ok £37k but that's my final offer".

That is spot on

2 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

“If it’s doable” doesn’t need a translation mate, because it’s in english.

He’s saying he’s not sure it’s doable at the time he wrote that, probably because he wasn’t sure if it was doable.

Parry is not a lawyer. He wouldn’t mention doability if he hadn’t been advised by his legal outfit that the doability is highly questionable. This clash of the titans is about pride and vanity and MM needs to solve our problem not preen his image with these over blown self justificatory missives. They take days to write and time is against us