Back behind closed doors

VulcanRam

Just been announced in Scotland that football matches are limited to 500 spectators and Hogmanay is cancelled.

With there being an old firm match on January 2nd, this is going to cause great distress as fans of Celtic and rangers contemple how they can have a proper street riot when outdoor events are so limited in numbers. Perhaps an opportunity for an SPFL eSports series? "The official SFA "Disgusting behaviour of a small minority of fans" eSports challenge"? They could build it out of mods to GTA5

4 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

I'd be surprised if this happens before the new year for England tbh. I'd also say it's premature given we don't yet know the data on likely hospitalisations only infection rates. 

But if measures are taken to help control a growing infection rate thus keeping hospitalisation down by playing behind closed doors and keeping the NHS from being overwhelmed surely it is better to do it earlier rather than later

1 hour ago, atherstoneram said:

But if measures are taken to help control a growing infection rate thus keeping hospitalisation down by playing behind closed doors and keeping the NHS from being overwhelmed surely it is better to do it earlier rather than later

Doris likes to dither….

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Just been announced in Scotland that football matches are limited to 500 spectators and Hogmanay is cancelled.

With there being an old firm match on January 2nd, this is going to cause great distress as fans of Celtic and rangers contemple how they can have a proper street riot when outdoor events are so limited in numbers. Perhaps an opportunity for an SPFL eSports series? "The official SFA "Disgusting behaviour of a small minority of fans" eSports challenge"? They could build it out of mods to GTA5

How do they choose whom the 500 spectators are every match?

55 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

That's onto the clubs to arrange. I would guess a lottery for games where tickets are already sold then a ballot for tickets for future games. Refunds for everyone who doesn't get to go.

There's going to be a lot of grumbling.

Yeah, pretty pee'd off.  For the 1st time in years we had 2 home games over Christmas, Dundee on Boxing day and Rangers on the 29th.  

I'd plans to go to both since I'm home but today's announcement has ruined that. 

Hopefully they bring the winter shutdown forward and push the games back to the end of Jan.  

4 hours ago, atherstoneram said:

This makes the assumption that hospitalisations reach the point of stretching the NHS to breaking point. So far there is no data to suggest this would be the case as far as I am aware. Then it comes down to a decision whether to use the available data from south africa for instance that does not suggest the type of mass hospitalisations or mortality rates that we saw with earlier variants of covid or to be on the 'safe side'. 

18 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

This makes the assumption that hospitalisations reach the point of stretching the NHS to breaking point. So far there is no data to suggest this would be the case as far as I am aware. Then it comes down to a decision whether to use the available data from south africa for instance that does not suggest the type of mass hospitalisations or mortality rates that we saw with earlier variants of covid or to be on the 'safe side'. 

Not just about numbers in hospital though, loads of hospital staff have the virus and are self isolating, like I am. Same goes for train and bus drivers etc etc. I can come out of my prison cell on Xmas Eve ?

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Not just about numbers in hospital though, loads of hospital staff have the virus and are self isolating, like I am. Same goes for train and bus drivers etc etc. I can come out of my prison cell on Xmas Eve ?

The rules on self isolating should be looked at in relation to hospitalisations I would suggest too. 

5 hours ago, atherstoneram said:

keeping the NHS from being overwhelmed

Straight from the Boris script that one. In my opinion two years is plenty, they’ve had our pants down yet some want more. 

Stockholm syndrome comes to mind. 

Edited by Kingpin

29 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

The concerning thing is, with this spreading so fast, it has more opportunities to mutate again, then it could mutate into something that’s as contagious as omicron, but as dangerous as deadly.

The only way to stop variants evolving is to stop the opportunities for the virus to reproduce.

we’re fighting a war here. You could almost imagine, if the virus was sentient, it’s tactic now would be to take a form that we can just about find acceptable to live with. Now it would be nice to think we’d all live happily ever after and coexist with a bit of compromise on both sides. I’ll be less deadly, says Corona, if you be less hygienic and allow me to spread more. But it’s more likely that this compromise will end in tears, the virus attacking our weakness as we let our guard drop. The only way to win this war is to wipe the virus out, or as close as we can get, like we did with small pox, measles etc. and the only weapon that works in that kind of war is a vaccine for everyone. 

We’re not safe until everyone’s safe. 

18 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

The concerning thing is, with this spreading so fast, it has more opportunities to mutate again, then it could mutate into something that’s as contagious as omicron, but as dangerous as deadly.

The only way to stop variants evolving is to stop the opportunities for the virus to reproduce.

we’re fighting a war here. You could almost imagine, if the virus was sentient, it’s tactic now would be to take a form that we can just about find acceptable to live with. Now it would be nice to think we’d all live happily ever after and coexist with a bit of compromise on both sides. I’ll be less deadly, says Corona, if you be less hygienic and allow me to spread more. But it’s more likely that this compromise will end in tears, the virus attacking our weakness as we let our guard drop. The only way to win this war is to wipe the virus out, or as close as we can get, like we did with small pox, measles etc. and the only weapon that works in that kind of war is a vaccine for everyone. 

We’re not safe until everyone’s safe. 

If this is to mean that you're in favour of a 0 covid policy this is something that has not been achieved by any country in the world. Rather, what is being suggested by most is accepting covid will become an endemic (not dissimilar from flu) and something we need to learn to live with. 

53 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

This time we have a vaccine though. Some people have had 3 doses. We should not be going into lockdown again. At the moment it's just cases, a lot of people have the virus but are only getting a mild cold. Why lock down the country for that. It's the hospitalisations and deaths which matter and those are down significantly which is what you expect with such a big vaccine rollout. This should allow us to live with virus and carry on normal life. There is no evidence to suggest we should be doing otherwise. 

2 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

This time we have a vaccine though. Some people have had 3 doses. We should not be going into lockdown again. At the moment it's just cases, a lot of people have the virus but are only getting a mild cold. Why lock down the country for that. It's the hospitalisations and deaths which matter and those are down significantly which is what you expect with such a big vaccine rollout. This should allow us to live with virus and carry on normal life. There is no evidence to suggest we should be doing otherwise. 

Unfortunately we always have to cater for the lowest common denominator. I’m triple jabbed. I’d love to be able to flout my immunity around, snogging strangers. But unfortunately, if we go into lock down, we all have to go into lock down. 

This is what pisses me off. I’ve done the right thing to ensure I can go on living a normal, lockdown free life. But too many people have decided that can’t be arsed, so now the fact that I’ve had the vaccine makes no difference to whether or not we can get out of this situation quicker. 

Makes me wonder why I bothered, which makes me realise why other people didn’t bother in the first place, and why they’re probably being all smug now, and makes more people not bothered, and the cycle goes round and round.

We are never going to get out of this at this rate. Everyone hates it, but not enough people can be arsed to actually do anything about it. 

2 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

If this is to mean that you're in favour of a 0 covid policy this is something that has not been achieved by any country in the world. Rather, what is being suggested by most is accepting covid will become an endemic (not dissimilar from flu) and something we need to learn to live with. 

0 covid would be nice. I’m realistic enough to know it’s not possible. But we can get it as close to zero as possible. At the minute too many people aren’t even trying to keep it close to zero. Let’s live with it, sure, but that doesn’t mean we have to go round licking lampposts and inviting it into our lives. We can still wear masks, we can still have vaccines, and we can reduce the risk to as near zero as possible, which in turn will reduce the spread, reduce the chance of mutation, and reasonably quickly reduce covid to nothing more than the flu. But we’re not their yet.

People seem to have gotten bored of being cautious after just a year and a bit. I’d hate to see what this generation would have been like faced with a 7 year war, food shortages, rationing, no football at all for most of it, kids carrying a gas mask everywhere, digging a bomb shelter in your back garden.