Cardiff City (A) Matchday Thread POSTPONED

Inverurie Ram

12 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I once went on a stag do in Cardiff and the groom - dressed as batman - was turned away from a nightclub by the politest bouncer I've ever seen. 

"sorry sir, no superheroes..." ?

The last time I went to the Cardiff City stadium with my mate Canadian Dan, I got rumbled in a pub on the way to the ground when I bought us a pint each and when the barman asked for 3.50 I said "I did buy 2 pints you know...." ?

My 1st venture into Wales was very errrr strange, As a very nieve 19 year old who had just been married 6 months earlier myself the Wife and new born went to Rhyl for a day out this was in the summer of 76 yes that very very hot Summer, We arrived parked up and went to the beach, Mooched around  a bit then went for a meal, Walked into an empty restaraunt and walked upto the counter and asked where we could sit...sorry mate was the reply all tables are booked, There's a chip shop just down the road, Turned round and found the said chipshop.

Wife and Child waited outside and I queued, Slowly but sure after a 20 minute wait I was next, I asked for 2 mixes and 2 fish, Bloke said what are you talking about, Again I asked for 2 mixes and 2 fish...sorry he said all out of fish and were waiting for the chips to cook, Try down the road.

I got outside and told the Wife looks as if dinner is off the menu, I then get a tap on the shoulder, It was a man who was in the queue, You're English right, Yes, You'll not be welcome in Wales.

I was so confused... a couple of months had gone by and I told this story to a fellow worker, He put me right, That's when I got the bug for English History, Had a similar experience in France in the early 80s when travelling by coach to Spain, We're not liked are we?

3 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

My 1st venture into Wales was very errrr strange, As a very nieve 19 year old who had just been married 6 months earlier myself the Wife and new born went to Rhyl for a day out this was in the summer of 76 yes that very very hot Summer, We arrived parked up and went to the beach, Mooched around  a bit then went for a meal, Walked into an empty restaraunt and walked upto the counter and asked where we could sit...sorry mate was the reply all tables are booked, There's a chip shop just down the road, Turned round and found the said chipshop.

Wife and Child waited outside and I queued, Slowly but sure after a 20 minute wait I was next, I asked for 2 mixes and 2 fish, Bloke said what are you talking about, Again I asked for 2 mixes and 2 fish...sorry he said all out of fish and were waiting for the chips to cook, Try down the road.

I got outside and told the Wife looks as if dinner is off the menu, I then get a tap on the shoulder, It was a man who was in the queue, You're English right, Yes, You'll not be welcome in Wales.

I was so confused... a couple of months had gone by and I told this story to a fellow worker, He put me right, That's when I got the bug for English History, Had a similar experience in France in the early 80s when travelling by coach to Spain, We're not liked are we?

Had family holidays in Rhyl as a kid and never noticed any anti English feeling. I once got punched by a Scouse youth on the funfair when I was 15 though.

3 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

My second venture into Wales, first was for the abandoned Newport game when I was about 10, was when we did  and Pen Y Fan and was at Sennybridge in the Army, no problems there and we had a great night out bowling in Cardiff midway through. Although stopping off to buy Vaseline for my chafed arse didn't go down to well one day, I got some funny looks.

After that I've spent ages in Snowdonia, mainly Betws  as I love the Marin trail and climbing, and to be fair a few times pubs have chucked a mixed group out or sent us to the beer gardens. Shame as I'm a friend and ally of all home nations and my best mate, now deceased, was a very proud Welshman. I still want them to win every game.

As a displaced Englishman living in South Wales (with a Welsh speaking Mrs and in laws in the west and north to boot!) I don’t get much stick. Mainly the “banter” starts around the 6 nations then disappears shortly after. It’s a great country with a lot to offer, just gets annoying during any sporting events that England are involved in ? 

34 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Had family holidays in Rhyl as a kid and never noticed any anti English feeling. I once got punched by a Scouse youth on the funfair when I was 15 though.

It's there alright, Newport the day of the Bradford Fire, I asked a young Welsh lad how far was Newports ground, duck you was the reply, This was with a mini bus load of nutters...

17 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

They say that Welsh girls are obsessed with sex and death and having had two Welsh girlfriends I can confirm this, as both tried to kill me on more than one occasion.

I can also confirm that Cardiff can be a very good night out, but be wary; as accommodating as Welsh lasses can be, their male counterparts can be rather less so. ???

Having spent a night out in Doncaster I've got the necessary survival tools. Nowhere can be as bad as that. Rougher than a Mammoths ball bag in the ice age. 

2 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Serves you right for going to Rhyl ? . More scousers than Welsh there and barely counts as Wales.

Seriously though, Worked in North and West Wales for a couple of years and have been there several times on holiday - as recently as this September to Conwy. Never experienced any anti-English feelings. 

15 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Serves you right for going to Rhyl ? . More scousers than Welsh there and barely counts as Wales.

Seriously though, Worked in North and West Wales for a couple of years and have been there several times on holiday - as recently as this September to Conwy. Never experienced any anti-English feelings. 

Did come back to flyer under my windscreen at Betws-y-Coed that said 'visiting here does not mean moving here'.  That's probably more common now but haven't had it again personally. Also cut my foot open in the sea at Rhyl when I was 9 on a glass bottle and half bleed to death.  Driving through there 25 years later it looked exactly the same and the funfair reminded me of the one off Father Ted with the spider baby ride.  Rhyl is also the murder capital of the UK per head of population. My mate grew up in wales as his dad worked there before moving to Derby From Aberystwyth at 13 and liked it.  He also speaks fluent Welsh and worked as a doorman being 18 stone and 6ft 4.  It was quite entertaining at Alton Towers many years ago when 3 lads started talking about us in Welsh and sniggering.  He let them carry on for a bit till he started talking back to them in Welsh.  The colour draining from there faces was quite the picture.