Preparations for League 1

YouRams

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

This is probably a best case scenario for next season's squad ?

Allsop

Festy   Jagielka   Davies   Buchanan

Tommo   Bird

Knight   Sibley   Hutchinson

Plange

Squadies: McDonald, Stearman, Cashin, Forsyth, Williams, JBrown, Watson, Stretton

Marshall, Roos, Byrne, Shinnie, Bielik, Lawrence, Jozwiak, Ravel, Kazim, Baldock... if not sold, won't see their contracts renewed - either we won't want them, can't afford them, or they will receive better offers elsewhere.

Not disagreeing at all with the post but interesting that you have Tommo ahead of Watson and Plange ahead of Stretton? Or I imagine it’s a close call either way?

Personally for me, and I’ve been singing Planges praise all season, I’d still have Stretton ahead of him as an out and out forward simply as a finisher and his pace / physicality to trouble more defenders….also I’ve always maintained Watson to play deeper and would personally feel he has more to his game than Thompson although Thompson’s defensive work / positioning is excellent for a young player.

21 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Prepared or not i just hope we've got a club and team to support. Just play the kids so they experience grown up fotball ready for next year

As long as they don't show their true talent and catch the eye of other clubs, leaving us with very little.

Its going to be difficult to prepare when we dont even know who will be here and if we'll even be allowed to recruit players. Not many of yesterdays squad will still be here.

As far as i'm aware Jags contract ends in january. Lawrence, shinnie, byrne, roos, allsop, forsyth and others all expire in the summer. We'd have four of the starting 11 left and 2 of our subs would also have expired contracts.

Other than the Polish lads i cant see why anyone would pay for any of the above in january when youd get them reduced or free in the summer

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Hasn't Rooney already said he'd like Jags for another season?

What Rooney says and what Rooney gets are two very different things. We don't even have Jags for all of this season yet - atm he only has a handful of games left with us

If we're allowed or able to sign players by that point i'd imagine we'd bring in a few senior pros as well.

1 minute ago, GenBr said:

What Rooney says and what Rooney gets are two very different things. We don't even have Jags for all of this season yet - atm he only has a handful of games left with us

If we're allowed or able to sign players by that point i'd imagine we'd bring in a few senior pros as well.

Not always very different, he got Jags & Baldock and now Plange didn't he?

I think we need to try and find as many players within our ranks to see if they could play a part next season, like Plange, etc. 

We don't know what the future holds, quite literally, but with so few players contracted after this season then we need to see what we have. It's somewhat a luxury that we we have 25 free hits and we're in a position to gamble with young players with little to no downside. I would like to see more of Sibley, obviously, but with him in the U23s and others being used ahead of him then I do wonder if he already has something lined up in January. 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Not always very different, he got Jags & Baldock and now Plange didn't he?

He got Jags until January which hasnt changed yet. There were other players he wanted and didnt get.

Jags won't be on massive wages but its going to depend massively on the takeover if we're going to be allowed to keep him in the second half of the season. He has no contract to continue past that point at present and its not exactly a million miles away. 

15 minutes ago, GenBr said:

He got Jags until January which hasnt changed yet. There were other players he wanted and didnt get.

Jags won't be on massive wages but its going to depend massively on the takeover if we're going to be allowed to keep him in the second half of the season. He has no contract to continue past that point at present and its not exactly a million miles away. 

You are making what point? That Rooney hasn't got all he wanted, what manager ever does?

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You are making what point? That Rooney hasn't got all he wanted, what manager ever does?

Did you forget how this conversation started?

Your original post said Rooney wanted Jags for another season when somebody said we'd get smashed if we played kids every week, which is completely meaningless, because it doesnt matter what Rooney says or wants given our current circumstances.

I said what Rooney says and what Rooney gets are two very different things. You decided for some reason to highlight a handful of times where Rooney did get what he wanted. Most of the time he doesn't get what he wants and even less so now - ie my original point.

28 minutes ago, GenBr said:

because it doesnt matter what Rooney says or wants given our current circumstances.

I said what Rooney says and what Rooney gets are two very different things. You decided for some reason to highlight a handful of times where Rooney did get what he wanted. Most of the time he doesn't get what he wants and even less so now - ie my original point.

I pointed out that in two instances where EFL regs have originally said 'no you can't' they changed their view to 'yes you can Wayne'.

It was to balance your negative view of 'he doesn't get what he wants'.

1 hour ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

Not disagreeing at all with the post but interesting that you have Tommo ahead of Watson and Plange ahead of Stretton? Or I imagine it’s a close call either way?

Personally for me, and I’ve been singing Planges praise all season, I’d still have Stretton ahead of him as an out and out forward simply as a finisher and his pace / physicality to trouble more defenders….also I’ve always maintained Watson to play deeper and would personally feel he has more to his game than Thompson although Thompson’s defensive work / positioning is excellent for a young player.

I dont think Stretton's body is ready for him to be a regular starter. 

Tommo is a better fit I a midfield 2, as Watson's very weak in the defensive side of things. I also believe Tommo has a higher ceiling.

12 hours ago, GboroRam said:

How will "blooding the youth" help if we field a team full of kids who get battered every week?

Who will they learn their trade off? The opposition?

The team which beat Bournemouth and scored 3 goals in a game for the only time this season was: 

Roos
Tommo   Bird   Shinnie
Knight      Lawrence
Baldock

I don't think that team's far off what many are suggesting for next season. 

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The team which beat Bournemouth and scored 3 goals in a game for the only time this season was: 

Roos
Tommo   Bird   Shinnie
Knight      Lawrence
Baldock

I don't think that team's far off what many are suggesting for next season. 

We started that game really well, got a goal ahead, then Baldock had to go off and I think for the next hour we missed his mobility. 

I think we've actually missed Baldock and Buchanan more than we probably thought would be the case, because their replacements are struggling for form.